Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 2:04 am

computerlove, you are a geek AND a nerd.

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Differe ... -and-Geeks

TB
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 2:33 am

i am definatly a geek and a litle bit of nerd.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2009, 3:36 am

I've always used the following:

Nerds are motivated by knowledge.

Geeks are motivated by fun/passion.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 3:59 am

Cute article. I would have to say my interests are more nerd than geek as I like abstract art and English literature. I like a small amount of science fiction but I can get burned out on science pretty fast.

I would have to say though that I am not a nerd or a geek. I fit the description of dork far better though it seems derogatory to me.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 5:33 am

I like that. I have a geeky friend who is always throwing Star Trek references into conversation. I have another nerd friend who spouts off academic info without much provocation. I am more the nerd type.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 7:46 am

I think of "nerd" as being interested in academic, intellectual subjects, whereas a "geek" tends to have an interest that often includes specific nonacedmic skills. For example, the stereotypical Linux user is a geek, not necessarily a nerd, while a math major or literature major would be nerds. An engineer has to be at least a little of both.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:36 am

Woo hoo! With out even trying!

Tri-Lamb Material
91 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 61% Dork

For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd and Dork, earning you the coveted title of: Tri-Lamb Material.

The classic, "80's" nerd, you are what most people think of when they think "nerd," largely due to 80's movies like Revenge of the Nerds and TV shows like Head of the Class. You're exceptionally bright and smart, and partly because of that have never quite fit in with your peers or social groups. Perhaps you've realized, or will someday, that it is possible to retain all of the things that you like about being brilliant and still make peace with the social cliques around you. Or maybe you won't--it's really not necessary. As the brothers of Lambda Lambda Lambda discovered, you're fine just the way you are and can take pride in that. I mean, who wants to be like Ogre, right!?

Congratulations!

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2009, 8:40 am

Simple.

A Geek will camp out at the bookstore the night before the latest Harry Potter book is released.

A Nerd will camp out at the bookstore the night before the latest Harry Potter book is released, dressed up as Harry Potter.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:52 am

Pure Dork
48 % Nerd, 9% Geek, 70% Dork

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:55 am

In the UK these term are only really used with reference to 80s Hollywood films in the classic high school format story. Ok we use geek/geeky occasionally nerdy. It is rare for someone to self identify as an out an out nerd. Manly because it isn't that unusual.

I remember someone describing himself as a 'dweeb'. It seemed such an odd insult to place on himself, given that it was very American term, and outdated at that. It was hard to take seriously.

'No, you're not a dweeb honest. Why do you call yourself a dweeb? Oh, you think other people think of you as a dweeb. Somehow I doubt that, most people do not use that term nowadays or know what it implies'.... sort of thing.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 9:02 am

Outcast Genius

57 % Nerd, 83% Geek, 70% Dork

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jun 2009, 10:07 am

nerd = loves math. likes to play with numbers. loves to find the reason for EVERYTHING. totally shy.
geek = loves gadgets. has to have the latest, greatest. eccentric personality.

The former things have passed away."

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 10:11 am

I'm part nerd but pure geek.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 10:26 am

There is little difference. They are both either beat up or otherwise abused by the jocks.

ruveyn

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 6:42 pm

a Geek is a sideshow attraction who bit the heads off live chickens. Look it up...;)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 7:15 pm

pakled wrote:
a Geek is a sideshow attraction who bit the heads off live chickens. Look it up...;)
that's why it was an insult to be called a geek. I am glad the insult was embraced. The Society of Friends were called the Quakers because they 'quaked before their G-D' and the Methodists were teased because their worship was so 'methodical' and homosexuals took back the word 'queer', too. Goody goody for our side!