Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 7:15 pm

pakled wrote:
a Geek is a sideshow attraction who bit the heads off live chickens. Look it up...;)
that's why it was an insult to be called a geek. I am glad the insult was embraced. The Society of Friends were called the Quakers because they 'quaked before their G-D' and the Methodists were teased because their worship was so 'methodical' and homosexuals took back the word 'queer', too. Goody goody for our side!

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:29 pm

My grandmother actually said that when I called someone a "geek" back in the 1980s. That isn't done nowadays so the modern definition stands. In fact, modern dictionaries use the "nerd-like" definition first. You must have answered "yes" to the question about knowing where at least one word comes from - so did I - also "nerd" came from a Dr Suess book from about 1950 called "If I Ran the Zoo."

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 9:57 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
computerlove, you are a geek AND a nerd.

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Differe ... -and-Geeks

:D

And a grammear nazi!

*goes back to basement to play WoW and eat pizza with Fuzzy*

lau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 7:45 am

Me?
With gay abandon, "results" wrote:
Your result for The Nerd? Geek? or Dork? Test ...
Outcast Genius

83 % Nerd, 57% Geek, 74% Dork

For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in all three, earning you the title of: Outcast Genius.

Outcast geniuses usually are bright enough to understand what society wants of them, and they just don't care! They are highly intelligent and passionate about the things they know are *truly* important in the world. Typically, this does not include sports, cars or make-up, but it can on occassion (and if it does then they know more than all of their friends combined in that subject).

Outcast geniuses can be very lonely, due to their being outcast from most normal groups and too smart for the room among many other types of dorks and geeks, but they can also be the types to eventually rule the world, ala Bill Gates, the prototypical Outcast Genius.

Congratulations!

Corrections:
occassion -> occasion
ala -> à la

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 5:20 pm

I'm either a gerd or a neek...;) I'm mainly just 'not quite right'...;)

ed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 5:52 pm

70 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 57% Dork

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 3:56 pm

I was a nerd in school and now I'm more of a geek. It just depends on which side is currently being fed. :wink:

SlayerOwnz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2009, 12:14 am

More of a geek than a nerd, I really don't enjoy being fed information, unless I REALLY enjoy it (which that odds of me enjoying it is small). I have a huge passion for computers, I'm not sure if that defines you as a geek or a nerd.

98% Geek
2% Nerd

That's pretty much the parts that make me.