Definitely not; I don't want to 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Definitely not; I can't 36%  36%  [ 12 ]
Autscape, what's that? 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 33

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jun 2009, 5:46 am

I'm going. :D :pale: :shaking: ... I think KenG is, and Lotusblossom too, for a day anyway, and a few others have said they might go.

It's in exactly 10 weeks time, from 14.00 on Tuesday 18 August, until lunchtime on Friday 21 August, on the south-eastern edge of London. You can either stay in the accommodation provided, or just go during the day, ( http://www.autscape.org/ ) .

I'm taking a plane from Nimes, in France, to Luton airport, ( near London ), on the Tuesday, ( should get there around 3pm ), and am catching a plane back at midday on Sunday 23 August.

Which meant that I was probably going to be at a bit of a loose-end on the Friday and Saturday, ... but Lotusblossom is going to arrange a London meet-up on the Saturday, starting at a pub in Hammersmith, ( with terrace/garden, etc; it looks nice ! ), at noon. :D http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... ammersmith

So, who else is going? :) Would love to hear from others thinking about it/planning to/preparing for it, etc, and from anyone who has been to Autscape before, or attended something similar. 8)

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 6:09 am

Yes! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

I am going to Autscape on Wednesday August 19th.

I am also hosting a post Autscape meet up

22nd August meeting 12 noon, upstairs in the Blue Anchor, in hammersmith.

http://blueanchor1722.com/
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... ammersmith

let me know by pm if you are interested in coming.

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2009, 6:26 am

I would like to go, especially as it's just round the corner from where I live, but it's so expensive - £190 for the whole conference or £60 for just one day 8O

It's a shame because I would like to hear your presentation, Ouinon, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford it, especially straight after the meet in Avignon :(

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jun 2009, 6:38 am

Seashell wrote:
I would like to go, especially as it's just round the corner from where I live, but it's so expensive - £190 for the whole conference or £60 for just one day.

The £190 is for three nights accommodation plus all meals from Tuesday afternoon to Friday lunchtime, ( incl . ), which actually seems pretty good value for money.

I agree that the £60 for just one day, ( meals and activities, but no room ), does seem quite a lot in proportion, ( almost as if they want to discourage people from attending for just one day in a non-residential capacity ).

But you can get a reduction if you are on a low income, which I think you would probably qualify for as a living-at-home student with only a small part time job?

If you are on a low income the non-residential fee is £50 for one day, ( which includes two main meals, plus teabreaks, and activities ), or just £95 for the whole event, ( incl. meals etc for two or three/four days as wish ). Which doesn't seem so bad?

I hope you can make it; it would be really nice to see you again :)

Last edited by ouinon on 09 Jun 2009, 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 7:02 am

It could be interesting to participate in, and to meet some of you people too. It's not very far away from where I live (speaking in WP terms :) ).
I don't think I can though, because I'll probably have to work on looking for a job and another place to live, so I don't know what my time looks like this summer.
The topic, effective living, sounds very interesting... I would have liked to hear about that and get some tips. And the pub looks lovely also. :D
I hope it will be a good conference.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jun 2009, 7:30 am

Seashell wrote:
I would like to go, especially as it's just round the corner from where I live.

PS. Maybe you could make the post-Autscape London meet, though, that Lotusblossom is organising, on the Saturday? :)

You could tell me what you thought of that stuff on linguistics then! :wink: :D

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jun 2009, 7:39 am

AnnePande wrote:
It could be interesting to participate in, and to meet some of you people too. It's not very far away from where I live. I don't think I can though, because I'll probably have to work on looking for a job and another place to live, so I don't know what my time looks like this summer.

:( That's a shame. Especially as you wanted to come to the "European" meet at one point, and then couldn't. Good luck with the job-hunting anyway, and finding a place. :)
Quote:
The topic, "Effective Living", sounds very interesting.

It does doesn't it. :D The provisional list of presentations, ( which was on the Autscape "chat-list" a couple of days ago ), looks good. Lots to talk/think about by the sound of it.

I've never been to something like this before, so it's quite an adventure for me.

Last edited by ouinon on 09 Jun 2009, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2009, 7:51 am

ouinon wrote:
Seashell wrote:
I would like to go, especially as it's just round the corner from where I live.

PS. Maybe you could make the post-Autscape London meet, though, that Lotusblossom is organising, on the Saturday? :)

You could tell me what you thought of that stuff on linguistics then! :wink: :D

Thanks, I would like to meet up again, and hopefully meet some new people as well :)

The low income fee for Autscape does seem good value for money as it includes meals, but I'm still not sure if I can afford it.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jun 2009, 10:11 am

Has anyone here been to any big Aspergers/Autism Spectrum events? In the UK/Europe, or America/elsewhere?

Or other residential conferences/special interest conventions/retreats, etc, where see presentations, listen to talks, have workshops etc, like at Autscape?

The closest to this that I have ever experienced were a few "large-group awareness-trainings" which I went on years ago, with about 55-75 people attending, and the same number running/providing it, but we didn't sleep on site; we went back to hotels or people's houses at night.

They were both exciting and exhausting. :D

I was thinking that something Autscape might have in common with those is that the people attending, aswell as the people running it, were all there to get, ( and/or give ) support/help/"tools" for living better, almost all with certain longterm difficulties, which many of them were open about; so there was a feeling of us all being honest about our vulnerabilities. We connected through our fragilities. Which felt extraordinary.

Does that ring a bell with anyone who has been to Autscape/Autreat or something similar?

Darrenj777
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2009, 11:05 am

what it like? whats happens? will i meet some cool people?? any nice girls attending :)

i am interested but nervous to attend as ive no idea what it will be like, i like the sound more of justing meeting up around the venue in a pub!!

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 12:17 pm

ouinon wrote:
AnnePande wrote:
It could be interesting to participate in, and to meet some of you people too. It's not very far away from where I live. I don't think I can though, because I'll probably have to work on looking for a job and another place to live, so I don't know what my time looks like this summer.

:( That's a shame. Especially as you wanted to come to the "European" meet at one point, and then couldn't. Good luck with the job-hunting anyway, and finding a place. :)

Thanks a lot :) yeah and I also missed that Tony Attwood thing in Copenhagen. :( But on the other hand, I'll (hopefully) finish my thesis in 3 weeks (if I work hard and am not too inertial, hopefully), and then I'm a master of theology, of course if they think my thesis is good... :D

It could have been nice with a trip to London. I've been there before, but that was about 20 years ago when I was only 11 (I went with my family on a winter holiday). I liked it a lot (couldn't speak English then though, except from "good morning" and such, and my dad wrote a note for me and my sisters with the hotel adress etc. that we could have in the pocket and show to a policeman if we got lost.)

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 12:44 pm

Exactly what is it? and is it beneficial to go? It's close so i could probably drive, meh, i dunno.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jun 2009, 1:02 pm

Michjo wrote:
Exactly what is it? and is it beneficial to go? It's close so I could probably drive.

From their website, which is at http://www.autscape.org/

Quote:
Autscape is a conference with a difference. Rather than talking to a primarily non-autistic audience about autism, this conference is specifically by and for autistic people. Some of it isn't even about autism at all! Non-autistic people are also welcome, but the environment and content of the event are centred around autistic people's needs, interests and sensitivities.

Autscape lasts three days in which there are workshops, leisure activities, social opportunities, and more, all specifically oriented to the needs and preferences of autistic people.

I have never been, ( which is why I was asking who had, how it went, what it was like, or if people had been to something similar ), but KenG has for a couple of years now, and is going again this year, and he likes it, just wishes it were bigger!! ! :D ( previous years there have been between 55 and 70 people ).

It sounds fun, interesting, and an amazing opportunity to meet other people from all over the spectrum.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 1:52 pm

I'm planning to come to London in late September-October, because that's my favourite time in London :D it looks so great in the fall. hopefully will meet some of the regulars, but I think something like Autscape would've been a bit too overwhelming.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 2:19 pm

ouinon wrote:
The provisional list of presentations, ( which was on the Autscape "chat-list" a couple of days ago ), looks good. Lots to talk/think about by the sound of it.
Here is the provisional list of presentations:

Ava-Ruth Baker: "Anxiety as our friend or foe in effective living on
the autism spectrum."

Dale Yaull Smith: "Girls on the Sprectrum."

Havina Harvinainen: "Success Stories in Self-Advocacy and Practical
Empowerment Advice"

Ian Jordan: "An introduction to how visual processing disorders
affects ASD for non-professionals."

Kalen: "Managing family life effectively."

Matthew Hawkins and Dinah Murray: "Effective Personal and Political
Action in a Mad World."

Nikola Woodbridge: "Artistic Autistics."

(WP member name removed per request): "Not All In The Mind."

Perry Gwilliam (invitee): Title to be announced, but will be about
autism and the police

Selina Postgate: "Clearer Goals, Brighter Future - using art to
explorer our dreams and ambitions."

Suzi Superglue: "Art workshop - recycling/jewelry/objectmaking."

Yo: "Using complaints to improve services."

http://www.autscape.org/

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2009, 4:21 pm

I'm going but flying back to Belfast on the Thursday as I had my flights booked for a London-based holiday long before I knew about Autscape. I had actually planned my holidays to include an event at the organ of Alexandra Palace on Wednesday 19th - an event at which members of the organ restoration appeal fund can take it in turns to play the organ. http://allypallyorgan.org.uk/friends.php

Then I found out (on WP) about Autscape, which would almost fit into the last days of my holiday and I decided to join their mailing list and then register to attend when that opened. I'm looking forward to meeting some Wrong Planetarians (or should I say aliens?) and I hope to wear a green badge as I'm shy and awkward but wish to be coaxed nice and gently out of my shell :lol:

Sadly, I'll not get to the pub meet but I'm on the lookout for any WP meets in London between Tuesday 11th and Friday 14th August.