Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

What's Your Favourite John Carpenter film?
The Thing 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
The Thing 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Big Trouble In Little China 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Big Trouble In Little China 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Escape From New York 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Escape From New York 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Christine 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Christine 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They Live 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They Live 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Halloween 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Halloween 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 8:49 am

I think John Carpenter is a cool cult director and although his career has waned somewhat of late, he has made enough quality films to last a lifetime. I would like to see the Academy Awards recognised his ongoing achievements, he directs, writes, produces, composes and edits lots of his movies. He won an Oscar for short film back in his film school days.

What's your favourite John Carpenter film? Mine is The Thing. This movie died at the box office (it came out around the same time as ET) but it is a fantastic film that has grown in popularity on video and DVD.

My top 10 John Carpenter films are:

1. The Thing
2. Big Trouble In Little China
3. Escape From New York
4. Christine
5. They Live
6. Halloween
7. Dark Star
8. Starman
9. Assault On Precint 13
10. Vampires

He also directed:

The Fog
Memoirs of an Invisible Man
In The Mouth of Madness
Village of the Damned
Escape From LA
Ghosts of Mars
Prince of Darkness

He has 2 new movies coming out this year. I really hope he tries something different with them.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 9:00 am

I'm a John Carpenter fan too- Big Trouble in Little China is one of my all-time favourite movies.
Escape from NY/LA are great too, and I'm really keen to see They Live, although unfortunately I haven't been able to find a copy of it anywhere.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 9:57 pm

All I've heard of is Halloween.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 11:57 pm

Sanityisoverrated wrote:
I'm a John Carpenter fan too- Big Trouble in Little China is one of my all-time favourite movies.
Escape from NY/LA are great too, and I'm really keen to see They Live, although unfortunately I haven't been able to find a copy of it anywhere.

Alot of John Carpenter's films are misunderstood I think. Big Trouble In Little China renewed the whole Western take on Kung Fu films. It is a cult classic. We used to watch it all the times as kids.

Funnily enough, I own all his movies except They Live. It is next to impossible to get except in America. It is out on DVD there though. It's a great film. It's like a homage to B-Grade movies and it just draws you in.

The other one that was hard to get was Prince of Darkness, it is probably one of my least favourite JC films, but it had all the elements to be a sequel to The Thing almost, it just fell short of the mark. He made a fair bit of money out of the remake of The Fog so he's able to make his new movie. I think he should work with an up and coming screenwriter and remake it.