Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Robb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2009, 6:05 pm

One of the things I've read multiple times is that folks on the spectrum do not understand/appreciate sarcasm and metaphore.

What do you guys think? Do you use sarcasm? Do you understand what someone else means when they use it?

If you do/don't, do you believe that's because you were/weren't exposed to it much growing up?

Thanks for your time.

09 Jun 2009, 6:18 pm

I use sarcasm. I usually use it to get my point across.

But I don't always know when someone else is being sarcastic. Some people would think if you can use sarcasm, you should know when others are being sarcastic :roll:

I don't remember sarcasm before age 8. I can remember "yeah right" and "Thanks a lot." I picked up on it and I also picked up on "oh great." Kids were always saying it when something bad happen or they didn't like something.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2009, 6:26 pm

It must be obviously facile to even a lay person. If it is possible for somebody to actually interpret something that way just by way of slight misunderstanding, that is what I will tend to see it as. For example, if you "make a sarcastic joke" by saying you are ading the chemicals in the wrong order during lab, I'm going to freak out and think you are actually doing it because I just hear what you said not all the indicators you were not really saying it present in your body posture and tone. I hear emphasis by volume. I hear the tone in your voice, I just don't associate it with anything. My voice isn't monotone, it fluctuates just because I'm basically singing to myself randomly just within a range of variation you aren't likely to notice unless you are attuned to listening for things like it. I've managed to learn an over exaggerated "Thiiiiis is MEEEE being SarcaAAAAStic" tone and emphasis.

Izzy_Dolphin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2009, 6:45 pm

I often have to have someone say to me "I'm being sarcastic now" and with that knowledge, I understand it and often see the humor. On its own, though, I can't ever figure it out. Sometimes I try it out for myself, but I always try to make it very obvious in my tone of voice. I think that annoys people, but thats life. I like to use it sometimes, but only very obviously.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 7:03 pm

I can detect sarcasm but sometimes I reply as if I'd interpreted a person's remark literally anyways because I can't think of anything witty to say. I always thought responding in a serious manner to a sarcastic remark was funny. However, most people seem to get confused. They feel the need to inform me that they were joking, then I tell them "I know". I like messing with people that way.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:02 pm

I can never discern sarcasm unless it's from context. Like if a guy with a metal band tshirt, leather all over and hair down to his backside says he doesn't like metal, obviously he's being sarcastic.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:04 pm

Robb wrote:
One of the things I've read multiple times is that folks on the spectrum do not understand/appreciate sarcasm and metaphore.

What do you guys think? Do you use sarcasm? Do you understand what someone else means when they use it?

I do now, but it took me a long time to catch on.

ruveyn

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:15 pm

I use and pick up sarcasm quite easily (a must in my family -- we're all on the catty side) and I love metaphors. One of my interests is writing and I use metaphors very often. It's like painting pictures with words.

Now, someone telling a joke with a straight face? I have to stop and think every time: how likely is this to be true? Sometimes it gets me into trouble because I take someone seriously when they were intending a joke.

Regards,

Patricia

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2009, 9:30 pm

I can use sarcasm, its just hard for me to recognise sarcasm in other people. Things like "yeah right" or "oh great" are really easy, but if someone says something that would normally insult me, its hard for me to pick up on the fact that they ment no harm and were mearly being sarcastic. Especially if they are doing it in a very serious tone with absolutely no indication they are being sarcastic that even an NT would have difficulty picking up. Then im told its my fault for being too sensitive if im insulted by it... -_- I guess thats just not my sense of humor. I dont find humor in making fun of something about someone or insulting someone even in a playful manor. I have a friend that conciders this a "personal problem". I think hes the one with the problem.
By the way, it ticks me off when people say something like "sounds like a personal problem". I cant explain why.

Anyway, some sarcasm is easy to recognise, some hard. Its kind of reletive to the situation, my mood, and how they present it.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 10:06 pm

Quote:
it ticks me off when people say something like "sounds like a personal problem". I cant explain why.

Because they're dismissing the problem, blowing it off, minimizing its weight.

I do sarcasm quite a bit, though I've learned to be more careful with it 'cause it can cause hurt to others. I'm about 50/50 with understanding it from others... I'll pick up a sarcastic tone if it's there and I understand that.

I grew up in a very sarcastic family, so I'm sure that helped.

Metaphor took me a long time, but now I use it alot. I love it, like pschristmas said, it's painting with pictures. I sit and make up new ones, and I've got a bit of a reputation for my unusual but wonderfully apt metaphores. :D

My therapist says that if an Aspie gets any kind of humor, it will be sarcasm, because it is a dark humor based on disenchantment with something, an area Aspies have a lot of experience in. :)

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2009, 10:16 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Quote:
it ticks me off when people say something like "sounds like a personal problem". I cant explain why.

Because they're dismissing the problem, blowing it off, minimizing its weight.

There we go. That makes perfect sense :). I just couldnt put it in words for some reason.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 10:33 pm

Quote:
There we go. That makes perfect sense . I just couldnt put it in words for some reason.

Yeah, I had the same problem. Someone gave me the words and Bingo! everythings clear. :)

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 11:43 pm

I don't have much of a problem picking up sarcasm from others, but sometimes my sarcastic remarks are hard for people to pick up on - they don't know if I'm being serious or not. I usually have to clarify.

I'm trying to work on it.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 6:41 am

Tone of voice is the big non-verbal cue that indicates sarcasm. It's easy to pick up for me in person and 100 times harder in an online forum. I believe that is true for everyone (not just people on the spectrum).

Hmmmn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2009, 7:44 am

Sarcasm is extremely over rated. There's a reason it's known as the lowest form of wit. Use it very sparingly and it can be pretty funny but when someone is always being sarcastic people tend to dislke it a lot. Best leave it for teenagers.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 9:25 am

Quote:
Sarcasm is extremely over rated. There's a reason it's known as the lowest form of wit.

I'd always heard punning was the lowest form...
I detest puns. :x