What are the benefits to getting a diagnosis?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 3:23 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
ToughDiamond,
DLA is allowed to be got without official diagnosis of anything as long as the support needs are there,as the benefit is based on care and mobility needs,rather than a label itself.

That's very interesting - the diagnostician I was talking about is not a psychologist and uses the ADOS test. I asked whether their DX would be as legally valid (from the point of view of getting employers to make reasonable adjustments to working conditions). The DLA form-filling was their reply. And according to the standard email I got some time ago from the NAS, only a psychologist or psychiatrist can give a DX for Aspergers Syndrome. Yet ADOS is supposed to be the "gold standard" diagnosis, and anybody can administer the test as long as they've passed the training......I'll have to ask the NAS whether they really mean that only a psychologist can diagnose AS. Perhaps the qualifications of the diagnostician - and the method - make some difference to the benefits of the DX?

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 4:38 pm

Thanks guys,, it has been interesting reading about all the possible benefits, from workplace modifications to transport passes. I had forgotten about the transport thing. I used to ride the bus for free with my AS boyfriend, as by law he could take a "support person" for free... naughty I know.

I guess I am in two minds about it, especially because of how much it would cost in $.

Also I am not sure if I would get the diagnosis, I took the AQ test and my score was not within the range that would be diagnosed. I have a lot of NLD traits mixed with AS traits, I seem to have a very girly sort of AS.

Anyway keep the ideas coming... :)

qvasi
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2010, 9:56 am

I'm diagnosed with ADD (not so hyper ADHD) which gives me the benefit of getting Ritalin.
I think this diagnose is correct as Ritalin helps a lot (went from failing to submit enough home assignments in maths to be allowed an exam to getting a B after starting on Ritalin while in university-college).

I suspect I also am an aspie; even though I've read that AS rules out ADHD(?), but I'm not sure what benifit getting an AS diagnose would give. I fit in quite well at work as a programmer (I'm probably the weirdest guy at work, but the others are a bit weird too so we get along fine). Apart from having a name for my quirks, and possibly have a better reason for not wanting to be hired out as a consultant (I was for three months and it didn't really work well, though I delivered what was asked) but they seem to accept that I prefer to work in house.

I'm not taking advantage of any disability laws for my ADD (except once at the university-college where I got an extra hour for the math exam, which I didn't need anyway). And I've developed lots of coping strategies myself for my ADD and other quirks (like *always* having my wallet and key in one pocket and the mobile in the other and a backpack, so that I feel "nude" if I leave home without it, etc.),which is probably why I got diagnosed quite late. I haven't told anyone at work that I have ADD, but I wouldn't lie if they asked me directly; they already know I'm a bit strange and easily distracted but still a really talented and productive programmer.

Apart from getting disability legal rights etc., are there any other practical benefit to a DX :?:

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2010, 10:25 am

Since my AS would probably be considered too mild to get SS benefits, the main benefit I've gotten is greater self-understanding, and the fact that I'm not the only alien on this rock.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 11:10 am

Having a diagnosis makes interaction with mental health professionals much, much easier - I no longer have to explain the minutest details of my history, childhood and various failed drug treatments every time I see a new psych.

Having a diagnosis that works (as opposed to previous diagnoses I had) is wonderful because I can now find information in books and on the internet that describe exactly what I experience, and provide useful strategies for working around my problems.

The state here also provides community psychiatric care and various therapies (occupational therapy, relaxation therapy, anxiety management, some psychotherapy, etc). There is a disability liaison manager in the welfare and unemployment office. There is subsidy for third level education and adult education. There is welfare support. These apply to people diagnosed or assessed as disabled.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 11:16 am

You get help from the government for various things like work, driving, and school. If you're in school, you can get a separate education plan that will accommodate you for your disability. In some cases you can get social security benefits, but it's very hard to do that.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 5:10 pm

Lol. Funny to see this old thread bumped again. I miss some of the members who dont post much here anymore....

Taking a break.

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2010, 4:35 am

Aside from the ones that have been stated above, (although some have already pointed this out) one of the many benafits that I've gained from being granted a dignosis of AS (back when I was at the teader age of 9 no less!) is....

I DON'T HAVE TO WORK IF I DON'T FEEL LIKE IT!! !! !! !! !!

I don't what to make it seem like I'm a lazy person, but the fact remains (in my kind of case anyway) if I get benafits of the govenment, then as far as eurning money is consurned, I can (if I felt like it) just sit on my ass and enjoy myself!! !! !

The reason being is that from the way I see things is, as long as you have money (or whatever) it does not matter how you get, just so long as you don't get in an ill gotten manner (eg stealing)

Although at the moment I'm liveing what I like to call a 'playboy lifestyle' (abet on a low budget) I am also planning to become an author and an E-bay seller soon.

I'm sure that you'd all agree that our 'disablity' (or rather condision) has it's advatages.

Goodbye Till Next Time

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 7:24 am

boosterjones wrote:
I DON'T HAVE TO WORK IF I DON'T FEEL LIKE IT!! !! !! !! !!

I am not comfortable with the attitude that not working is a choice. I take benefit payments from the government when I am unable to work, and it is not a choice for me. When I am able to work (and when I find employment that I am capable of), I do not take benefit payments.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 5:16 pm

I only wish I was able to work. I havent had the same exerience as Booster anyway. I have had nothing but harassment and pressure from others since my DX- GP, social workers, and more.

Taking a break.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 8:19 pm

Having an autism service dog!

[img][img][800:705]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/zeev227/Wolfhollow100.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/zeev227/NimandIbythefire3.jpg[/img][/img]

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:46 pm

Is that true that an ASD diagnosis will get you kicked off of health insurance?!

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 4:07 am

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Is that true that an ASD diagnosis will get you kicked off of health insurance?!

You have to check that specifically with your health insurer, and get the printed (or internet) policy schedule that contains the terms and conditions. Most have a catch-all requirement to declare "anything relevant", such as a diagnosis or treatment.

Where I live, for all private health insurers, a diagnosis of ASD makes no difference because insurers are legally obliged to accept any customer who can pay. It is important to maintain continuous policy cover because pre-existing conditions are not covered during the first year of a policy.

Check with the insurer, and find out whether the disability or health acts in your contry make any requirements of insurers.

violetchild
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2010, 9:55 am

For me getting a proper diagnosis has been essential and it has helped with all the things everyone else has mentioned.

I was having wrong kind of therapy and my psychologists couldnt understand me before the Asperger's diagnoses.. Doctors were blaming me for things (this has now stopped since the diagnoses) etc etc

Another thing is that I'd got myself into serious trouble with the law due to not being able to cope and the melt downs I was having when placed in certain situations.. so hence also needed a diagnoses for that reason too. (I just got offical diagnoses at 39 yrs, i wish I'd got diagnosed years ago as I could of had more therapy and not done the things Ive done).

In my case it doesnt help me get disablity pension as Im already on it for other medical conditions I have.

Im so relieved to have the diagnoses as it means those about me eg my boyfriend..are being far more understanding when Im having difficulties with something.

Having this diagnoses is also going to enable me to get more therapy (and this time of suitable kind)