Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2009, 9:18 am

I drive a '97 Ford Explorer with its original CD/cassette deck. To use my iPod, I connect it via a cassette adapter (simply an empty cassette tape with an input wire sticking out).

Here's my problem. For some reason, the tape will stop and attempt to change over or eject. At first I thought it was the tape having a problem, but after trying out another one, the same thing happened.

The other thing is after trying out an older adapter, this problem does not arise, but I can't use it since the wire's torn.

Is it possible that there was a change in manufacturing of the adapters? Or is it that the deck needs replacement?

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 10:34 am

you could always opt to buy a new head unit with an "aux" input on the front, the aux input looks like a headphone socket and a cable plugs into that and then into the headphone socket on your ipod

or if you can afford it there are also "Made for iPod" car head units that have a USB input for the iPod or something like that

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 4:36 pm

If the spindles can't spin, it'll think it's hit the end of the tape and stop. Take the tape out and make sure it can spin fine (both of them, just in case).

Though you said you did have the same problem with another tape (but not with your other adapter), maybe the problem is with the tape deck itself.

On another note, fixing torn wires is really easy ;)

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 4:54 pm

With the fuel consumption of a big car like that, a new car radio would not show up in the expenses.

But to look at your problem. You could try to repair the original adapter with the torn wire.

I had a similar device and opened it, then I could see where the wires went. I took a wire from another machine and soldered it to the contacts. Even with my clumsy skills I could do it. So with a lot of patience and some burns on your fingers it should work.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2009, 7:48 pm

Asterisp wrote:
With the fuel consumption of a big car like that, a new car radio would not show up in the expenses.

But to look at your problem. You could try to repair the original adapter with the torn wire.

I had a similar device and opened it, then I could see where the wires went. I took a wire from another machine and soldered it to the contacts. Even with my clumsy skills I could do it. So with a lot of patience and some burns on your fingers it should work.

I'll give the repair job a try. I've done it before with an ancient amplifier and it works fine now, so it shouldn't be much of a hassle. Yet with my job it is possible for me to also afford a replacement radio. But for now I'll stick to the repair.

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2009, 8:13 pm

Take some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip (you might have to tape it to a small screwdriver), get a small flashlight, and rub away at the reading heads of your cassette player. If my memory serves, they will be small, silver, and circular. Then do the same with the transmit head on your adapter. Let me know how it works out for you.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 10:26 am

Maddino87 wrote:
I drive a '97 Ford Explorer with its original CD/cassette deck. To use my iPod, I connect it via a cassette adapter (simply an empty cassette tape with an input wire sticking out).

Here's my problem. For some reason, the tape will stop and attempt to change over or eject. At first I thought it was the tape having a problem, but after trying out another one, the same thing happened.

The other thing is after trying out an older adapter, this problem does not arise, but I can't use it since the wire's torn.

Is it possible that there was a change in manufacturing of the adapters? Or is it that the deck needs replacement?

Since I can verify both the existence of the problem and that older adapters worked fine, I think we can assume that something changed in the manufacturing process.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 10:34 am

Maddino87 wrote:

Since I can verify both the existence of the problem and that older adapters worked fine, I think we can assume that something changed in the manufacturing process.