Dog doesn't just say no and gets 'stoned' at park

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 9:52 pm

Dog doesn't just say no and gets 'stoned' at park

Quote:
SEATTLE – A dog that ran off from its owner in Seattle's Seward Park found and ate some marijuana and got high. Owner Jen Nestor Waddell told KING-TV the 11-year-old black Lab mix named Jack was "just stoned" May 12 after they returned home from the park. The dog's eyes glossed over and he had trouble walking.

The vet said Jack had swallowed a large amount of dried, harvested marijuana. After some medication to induce vomiting and a night of rest Jack was back to normal.

Waddell told police about the drugs and joked they could borrow Jack to find them if they paid the $1,500 vet bill.

___

Information from: KING-TV, http://www.king5.com/

$1500 to induce vomiting and board a dog for the night? That's just criminal...

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

12 Jun 2009, 12:02 am

It would have made more sense to let the pot run its course than to force vomiting.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 12:14 am

velodog wrote:
It would have made more sense to let the pot run its course than to force vomiting.

Unless... some of the pot was still viable. :eew:

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 8:55 am

Quote:

Nope. Remember, weight-wise, the dog ate a potentially lethal dose of pot....
because of possible severe complications, it's best to be pro-active. Especially in an older dog such as Jack...

Some references...
http://www.michvet.com/library/emergenc ... xicity.asp

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 4&aid=2254

As for the bill...
I've helped treat dogs that have ingested pot... gastric lavage, fluids, and intensive monitoring add up. If they got to the dog before it developed complications, that is. If the dog developed erratic heart rates, seizures or required oxygen, medications and O2 add even more.

If your dog eats pot, it's no joke. :(

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 12:26 pm

WTF? :scratch:

A dog eats pot? That's something!

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 1:35 pm

Depends on the dog.
Labs'll eat durn near anything... and pot is a green, and dogs do eat greens... lawn grass, brocolli, cabbage, pot... :roll:

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 2:00 pm

That dog probably got the munchies like mad.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 8:30 pm

I don't think that the dog could have actually eaten a lethal dose of pot.. as far as I know, there IS no lethal dose of pot.. the issue with toxicity comes up when it prevents nausea from other things (like alcohol) so someone dies of alcohol poisoning because they were smoking pot too.

I once had a therapist who told me about having brought a puppy to a party, and the puppy finding a bag of pot... she said it was stumbling around. Definitely didn't die. :-P

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2009, 8:52 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
I don't think that the dog could have actually eaten a lethal dose of pot.. as far as I know, there IS no lethal dose of pot.. the issue with toxicity comes up when it prevents nausea from other things (like alcohol) so someone dies of alcohol poisoning because they were smoking pot too.

I once had a therapist who told me about having brought a puppy to a party, and the puppy finding a bag of pot... she said it was stumbling around. Definitely didn't die. :-P

Every substance has a lethal dosage if the dosage is large enough. The concept of Cannabis having no lethal dose is with smoking it since it gets into your blood faster that way. You can't smoke yourself to death because you would go unconscious long before you would be able to achieve a toxic level of THC in the blood. Eating it takes longer for it to be absorbed into the bloodstream, which is why it takes longer for the feeling to come on, but is also why it lasts longer, because the dose is slowly being administered during digestion rather than instantaneously like it does through the lungs from smoking. It theoretically would be possible for the THC to reach toxic levels in the blood from ingestion since once you go unconscious the dose continues to be administered as the undigested Cannabis in the stomach continues to enter the intestines and would continue the dose unlike smoking where you can't actively smoke while unconscious without somebody else holding the joint or pipe to your nose and making sure it stays lit. When it's smoked, the lungs take in as much as 98% of the THC within 2 seconds, verses ingestion which will take in close to 100% over the course of digestion.

With a dog, the effect is the same except that the dog having less blood by volume than a human would mean that the concentration would increase in a shorter amount of time.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 8:56 pm

Yes, it CAN be lethal. Google canine, marijuana toxicity and you'll find the complications of large doses... coma, severely depressed respiration, death. In an 11-year old lab, whose liver is probably not entirely healthy, it's very possible a large dose could be fatal.

I've certainly seen it up to the coma stage as a veterinary technician, and that was after gastric lavage and with fluid support.

:(

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 5:55 am

Eating raw mj is actually not a good way to get high anyway. That is why people make cookies, heating it up slightly with produce a more pleasant effect I've read. I can't remember the temperature. But it is not that high, you don't have to burn it.

But yes dog are not humans. Chocolate is very bad to feed to dogs, and they could get sick from eating raw mj. Even human can get sick from eating raw mj.

Is is also toxic to eat dog liver. Random fact.

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2009, 3:45 pm

Thats a lot to charge for detoxing a dog.

Poor thing I hope he never does that again.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 11:32 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozk7fnKilU[/youtube]

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2009, 10:30 am

I think the owners were rotten spoilsports for making him vomit it up. Poor thing was probably having the time of its life :lol:

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 11:03 pm

And the pooch's name?

why snoop dog.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 11:41 pm

I am glad the dog is ok, however knowing dogs they might just eat something like that again.