Compression shirt as casual wear?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jun 2009, 11:16 pm

I am a fan of tight shirts. I love how they feel and I think I look far better in them than loose shirts. I was just wondering what the typical social rules are for wearing these types of shirts as casual wear.
I.E: Is it concidered gay? Is it concidered really weird? Is it perfectly fine?

Yeah yeah, I know. Wear what makes me feel comfortable and ignore the insults. I just want to know what to expect. I have a friend who also likes to wear tight shirts and he says people do generally think its gay. This never did make sense to me, because how can a piece of clothing have anything to do with sexual orientation? Unless of course it was a t-shirt that said "im gay and proud". Even still, there are probably many straight guys that would wear it for the lol's. Ive been accused of being gay before (I guess its my lack of interest in typical man things) and it doesnt bother me because its not really an insult. I just dont want girls to think im gay, then never approach me.
Also, is it generally just weird to wear a shirt that is or is near skin tight? I dont see anyone in my area wearing something like that. Im asking because these shirts are basically athletic wear. Shirts football players wear under their jerseys, for example.

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2009, 11:50 pm

Well, there's a difference between 'tight' and 'skin-tight.' Sure, plenty of teens and 20somethings wear tight shirts, but wearing a skin-tight shirt that ends before the waist or has sleeves that end above the top of the tricep is an invitation to be called gay. I agree with you - the only time a skin-tight shirt on a guy is acceptable is underarmour for sports.

I suggest using celebrities as your points of reference. Take a look at how celebs like David Beckham or Dane Cook wear their shirts - tight but not too tight - and you'll get an idea of what kind of fit is alright in a social situation.

As a side note, it's you that has to approach the girls - dress up well, walk up with confidence, and you'll be surprised at the results you can get. 8)

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2009, 1:29 am

I never said athletic shirts should only be worn when doing athletics. I love how they feel and look on me. But yeah, people generally arent too accepting of that. Ill pay more attention to celebrity clothing styles next time. I have noticed Dane Cook's jeans are tighter fitting, and I have a pair of jeans that are like that too. Boot cut.

Im extremely shy about that stuff. Id rather walk through a semi-crowded mall with bunny ears and a pearl pink shirt with a little tail attached to my belt. Id only come close to asking a girl out if ive known her for awhile. I then start flirting when the time is right, but not too much. Otherwise it can be a turn off if my attraction for her is increasing much faster than her's for me. When it comes to dating, im more of an infiltrator than a rusher. Ill get to know her and become friendly first before I make any sort of moves rather than just randomly walk up to a girl I dont know and ask her for a date.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 1:33 pm

I don't know any gay people who wear skin tight shirts?

I could imagine if it was so tight that your belly was showing, but otherwise, Idunno...

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 3:31 pm

You could go glam rock style.
Or get a thermal undershirt that's several sizes too small.

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2009, 4:02 pm

Asmodeus wrote:
You could go glam rock style.
Or get a thermal undershirt that's several sizes too small.

lol yeah and hair spray my hair to look all poofy.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 10:57 pm

I also enjoy wearing this type of shirt. However, I don't give it any hesitation for casual situations.. If some dork says that I 'look gay" in it (and only a dork would say such a thing), I wouldn't think anything of it. I get enough implied approval from females, which is what matters to me. And my male friends are not the type of people to be socially scared of homosexuals.

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2009, 2:03 am

And being your friends, they shouldnt care if you wear those shirts anyway.