Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 633
Location: Singapore

17 Jun 2009, 10:25 am

There is so much even in this little thread that expresses the victim mindset and blame others paradigm that has become the American way of thinking. Much of what the Western audience understands of China is as misconstrued as the Chinese view of the West. It cannot be helped. Despite their best efforts they cannot master English and you do not even try to learn Chinese. Hence, both sides are fed the same type of self comforting propagandistic stew by blind demagogues and never ever seem to wise up.

The Hangover is not just some trashy Hollywood movie concocted by evil Jewish producers to scam the American public; it is a hit and as such expresses a collective yearning. The movie captures very eloquently the deep seated American desire to get something for nothing or to win by certain clever artifices. In this case, it was about going to Vegas, counting card and getting away with it. As one of the characters say, you have to be really smart to count cards. That, along with doing really ‘sick’ things like getting married to a hooker with a great rack, is the American definition of happiness.

Hookers with great tits certainly have their place in my book of happiness, but in these times of rising hardships and growing social dislocations, one would think that there would be a more informed debate of what the problem is and how it is to be tackled. Thus far, in my daily readings of the popular press, nothing is really said. Sometimes it feels that the editors and journalists do not quite understand the gravity of the situation, and at other times it seems as if they just do not want to upset an already very anxious readership. Whatever the reasons are, I do not think that people are quite ready to confront the very difficult challenges that lie ahead.

You can expect the next five years to be increasingly bitter. According to the U.S. government, the Chinese government has been selling Treasuries. But that is not the problem. The real problem is that America is no longer the place where private investors automatically park their funds. Everyone from Mexican drug lords to Korean sweatshop owners – the world’s moneyed elite – will now think twice about investing in dollar assets. They say that the U.S. dollar is still the world’s reserve currency, which is true, but they do not want to admit that everyone is now scrambling for an alternative.

It is not even about what world’s rich people think. The truth is America has run out of ways to create securities that are attractive enough. The CDOs and credit default swaps that were pedaled to wealthy individuals outside of America are obviously no longer saleable. High grade debt do not yield enough and high yield issues are toxic.

But there are those amongst you who celebrate this fall from grace. More would then join our ranks of impoverished souls living on the fringes of society. When the fringe gets crowded, you are going to realize that the problem is serious.

To the people who say that they will always choose America, tell me what you think 10-20 years from now.



Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,485
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

17 Jun 2009, 11:25 am

Zeno wrote:
What will the world look like when U.S.A is no longer number one?


When was America number one?
The people who brag about America being number one are typically the people who haven't even left the country

If memory serves me correct, the best country in which to live as voted by the U.N is Iceland. Other countries that have had the number one on that list in the past where Norway, Canada and sometimes Japan. They also have free health care too... go figure.


_________________
Humans are intelligent, but that doesn't make them smart.


twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,731
Location: Boötes void

17 Jun 2009, 12:47 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
When was America number one?
The people who brag about America being number one are typically the people who haven't even left the country

If memory serves me correct, the best country in which to live as voted by the U.N is Iceland. Other countries that have had the number one on that list in the past where Norway, Canada and sometimes Japan. They also have free health care too... go figure.

Irrelevant metric. And it isn't "free".


_________________
* here for the nachos.


monty
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Sep 2007
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741

17 Jun 2009, 12:51 pm

twoshots wrote:
Chibi_Neko wrote:
When was America number one?
The people who brag about America being number one are typically the people who haven't even left the country

If memory serves me correct, the best country in which to live as voted by the U.N is Iceland. Other countries that have had the number one on that list in the past where Norway, Canada and sometimes Japan. They also have free health care too... go figure.

Irrelevant metric. And it isn't "free".


What was the question?



Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,485
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

17 Jun 2009, 12:51 pm

twoshots wrote:
Chibi_Neko wrote:
When was America number one?
The people who brag about America being number one are typically the people who haven't even left the country

If memory serves me correct, the best country in which to live as voted by the U.N is Iceland. Other countries that have had the number one on that list in the past where Norway, Canada and sometimes Japan. They also have free health care too... go figure.

Irrelevant metric. And it isn't "free".


Well... public... you know what I mean.
Basically you don't need to bring any money when you go to the doctor, it's already paid for with tax money.


_________________
Humans are intelligent, but that doesn't make them smart.


MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,046
Location: Missouri

17 Jun 2009, 2:50 pm

I don't get free healthcare...in fact I haven't seen a doctor in two years let alone a dentist because they're too expensive....:(


_________________
I live as I choose or I will not live at all.
~Delores O’Riordan


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

17 Jun 2009, 4:11 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
Zeno wrote:
What will the world look like when U.S.A is no longer number one?


When was America number one?
The people who brag about America being number one are typically the people who haven't even left the country

If memory serves me correct, the best country in which to live as voted by the U.N is Iceland. Other countries that have had the number one on that list in the past where Norway, Canada and sometimes Japan. They also have free health care too... go figure.


TANSTAAFL. There ain't no such thing as a Free Lunch -- Robert A. Heinlein.

So called free health care is paid for by someone, somewhere, sometime.

Nothing cames out of nothing.

ruveyn



Sand
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Age: 94
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,484
Location: Finland

17 Jun 2009, 10:41 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Chibi_Neko wrote:
Zeno wrote:
What will the world look like when U.S.A is no longer number one?


When was America number one?
The people who brag about America being number one are typically the people who haven't even left the country

If memory serves me correct, the best country in which to live as voted by the U.N is Iceland. Other countries that have had the number one on that list in the past where Norway, Canada and sometimes Japan. They also have free health care too... go figure.


TANSTAAFL. There ain't no such thing as a Free Lunch -- Robert A. Heinlein.

So called free health care is paid for by someone, somewhere, sometime.

Nothing cames out of nothing.

ruveyn


Absolutely right. It's just a matter of seeing to it that the money appropriated for health care is spent on health care and not on the economic leeches that suck off huge amounts off for their own inappropriate use. Good health, like a good transportation system, like good information infrastructures, like excellent educational systems is the essential substructure for a properly functioning society and obviously with almost 50 million people in the USA not properly served the whole nation is threatened by the disease and disorder and inefficiency of a badly functioning system.



roche12
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jun 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 63

29 Jun 2009, 2:21 am

Education is a major issue in the US. If you are ignorant it maybe hard to fix the problem. Can't fix what you don't know needs fixing.

The problem is not that people are choosing to eat things that are bad for them. It is that they are told or lead to believe these things are not bad for them. For example I am willing to bet everyone here has seen an ad for margarine with claims it is better for you than butter.

Political polls indicate that about two thirds of the country is not stupid which I think is a good sign.(I come to this conclusion since GWB had a 20-30% approval rating)



pakled
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,015

29 Jun 2009, 11:51 am

America's Golden age: 1945-73.

We was #1, because all the other powers on Earth were carpet-bombed in dubya dubya 2. The rest of the world rebuilt with newer plant and equipment, and surged even, then ahead.



twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,731
Location: Boötes void

01 Jul 2009, 7:42 pm

roche12 wrote:
Political polls indicate that about two thirds of the country is not stupid which I think is a good sign.(I come to this conclusion since GWB had a 20-30% approval rating)

Formal fallacy here.
approvesOfDubya=>stupid
does not imply
disapprovesOfDubya=>notStupid


_________________
* here for the nachos.


Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,534
Location: Sweden

01 Jul 2009, 7:56 pm

twoshots wrote:
roche12 wrote:
Political polls indicate that about two thirds of the country is not stupid which I think is a good sign.(I come to this conclusion since GWB had a 20-30% approval rating)

Formal fallacy here.
approvesOfDubya=>stupid
does not imply
disapprovesOfDubya=>notStupid

It doesn't really take a genious to disprove of Dubya, no?

However, it takes a really stupid buch of people to vote Dubya to office... TWICE.


_________________
"Purity is for drinking water, not people" - Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.


Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,223
Location: Alberta Canada

01 Jul 2009, 9:58 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
They also have free health care too... go figure.


Subsidized. Get it right. Quit misrepresenting.


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


hyder13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 133
Location: Charlotte NC/NYC NY

01 Jul 2009, 11:27 pm

Henriksson wrote:
twoshots wrote:
roche12 wrote:
Political polls indicate that about two thirds of the country is not stupid which I think is a good sign.(I come to this conclusion since GWB had a 20-30% approval rating)

Formal fallacy here.
approvesOfDubya=>stupid
does not imply
disapprovesOfDubya=>notStupid

It doesn't really take a genious to disprove of Dubya, no?

However, it takes a really stupid buch of people to vote Dubya to office... TWICE.

correction, he won once. The other time, Gore won more votes and Bush won on a bull technicality.


_________________
We are like boats dashing together; our eyes are darkened, yet we are in clear water.~Rumi
As melhores coisas na vida são livres


Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,223
Location: Alberta Canada

02 Jul 2009, 1:15 am

Here is an interesting question.

Has anyone ever been a presidential hopeful, ran, lost, ran again and become president?


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,518
Location: Room 101

02 Jul 2009, 1:45 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Here is an interesting question.

Has anyone ever been a presidential hopeful, ran, lost, ran again and become president?

Nixon is the first who springs to mind. He was Eisenhower's VP, lost to Kennedy in 1960 then came back to win in 68 and 72. There are others, of course. Andrew Jackson lost to J.Q. Adams in 1824, then won in 1828. Grover Cleveland was president, lost a re-election bid, ran again and became president again. There are probably other examples, but I'm tired.

EDIT: Oh, Jefferson too. Duh.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH