Page 7 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 8:16 am

Michjo wrote:
Most feminists display severe misandry(hatred for men) and aren't interested in equality.

Michjo wrote:

I have no issue with women, i am not judging the entire female race, i am judging the feminist movement.

So you are judging people just for being feminist? That seems like a bit of a
Michjo wrote:
unipolar approach

Odd.
Michjo wrote:
Because unipolar approachs, wether it is feminism or anti-feminism are always dangerous and unfair.

Michjo wrote:
I just wish people would be judged on their own personal abilities instead of arbitary quota's and structures to enforce a fake pseudo-equality for everyone.

Same here. And that includes point scoring outcry against rights gained by women 'because then they discriminate against men'. Or insisting that feminists attend exaggeratedly to making sure they offend/'exclude' no man, while still needing to work tirelessly for the interests of women.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 11:00 am

activebutodd wrote:
Michjo wrote:
Most feminists display severe misandry(hatred for men) and aren't interested in equality.

Michjo wrote:

I have no issue with women, i am not judging the entire female race, i am judging the feminist movement.

So you are judging people just for being feminist? That seems like a bit of a
Michjo wrote:
unipolar approach

Odd.
Michjo wrote:
Because unipolar approachs, wether it is feminism or anti-feminism are always dangerous and unfair.

Michjo wrote:
I just wish people would be judged on their own personal abilities instead of arbitary quota's and structures to enforce a fake pseudo-equality for everyone.

Same here. And that includes point scoring outcry against rights gained by women 'because then they discriminate against men'. Or insisting that feminists attend exaggeratedly to making sure they offend/'exclude' no man, while still needing to work tirelessly for the interests of women.

It would appear that the word context is completely wasted upon you.

Zornslemma
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2009, 4:30 pm

Seems like different *feminists* have their own personal definition of what feminism is all about..... :?
Now I am not pointing the accusing finger at anyone in this thread but I am SICK and TIRED of women who expect to be put on a pedestal and feel entitled to sympathy just for being female, ugh.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 7:03 pm

Zornslemma wrote:
Seems like different *feminists* have their own personal definition of what feminism is all about..... :?
Just as animal rights activists, environmentalists, mens’ rights groups, supporters of democratic processes, educators….etc, all have different ideas, feminists too are not a monolith.
Quote:
Now I am not pointing the accusing finger at anyone in this thread but I am SICK and TIRED of women who expect to be put on a pedestal and feel entitled to sympathy just for being female, ugh.

None of which has anything to do with anything but the fact that some humans just happen to be like that.

Why post this comment here? Plenty of non feminists have a sense of entitlement just because they happen to have a sense of entitlement. Why genderize the comment? Such people are as likely to be men as to be women. It looks suspiciously like you perhaps are taking a very common human trait and quite sexistly pretending that it has more to do with females than males, and then trying to blame this on feminism.

I think people who take very common human traits (such as a sense of entitlement) and pretend that this constitutes a reason to disparage a group that is no more characterized by such traits than everyone who is not in the group, indicate plenty about themselves and their prejudices and nothing whatsoever about the group.

Zornslemma
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2009, 8:38 pm

pandd wrote:
Quote:

None of which has anything to do with anything but the fact that humans just happen to be like that.

Why post this comment here? Plenty of non feminists have a sense of entitlement just because they happen to have a sense of entitlement. Why genderize the comment? Such people are as likely to be men as to be women. It looks suspiciously like you perhaps are taking a very common human trait and quite sexistly pretending that it has more to do with females than males, and then trying to blame this on feminism.

I think people who take very common human traits (such as a sense of entitlement) and pretend that this constitutes a reason to disparage a group that is no more characterized by such traits than everyone who is not in the group, indicate plenty about themselves and their prejudices and nothing whatsoever about the group.

The reason why I genderize this commment has to do with the fact that in the society which I live in(the USA), men and women are treated differently and there are PLENTY of double standards regarding gender and behavior. That is, there are attitudes and behaviors which are tolerated from women but NOT from men. One of those is whining and having a sense of entitlement(what they call *victim status*). I have found are the hard way that whenever I whine and complain about my issues and claim to be a *victim*, people mock and sneer at me. Men who claim to victims are branded as losers and not respected.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 8:43 pm

pandd wrote:

Take someone, treat them really well in their youth, then as soon as they turn 18, force them into a situation where they will be abused and discrinated. This person may come out of it alright and make a good world for him or herselg, but they will always feel some entitlement to the life they once had, and will strive to achieve it, and that is the key to their sucess. Entitlement only is a bad thing when it goes too far, I have seen more males with this type of entitlement attitude than females in my life, and that's not because of who I have been exposed to, as I have been exposed to a fair sample of both genders. Entitlement is normlly part of the driving force tht brings a person to achieve great things.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 8:49 pm

Zornslemma wrote:
The reason why I genderize this commment has to do with the fact that in the society which I live in(the USA), men and women are treated differently and there are PLENTY of double standards regarding gender and behavior. That is, there are attitudes and behaviors which are tolerated from women but NOT from men. One of those is whining and having a sense of entitlement(what they call *victim status*). I have found are the hard way that whenever I whine and complain about my issues and claim to be a *victim*, people mock and sneer at me. Men who claim to victims are branded as losers and not respected.

Just as it is plenty more acceptable for "women" to cross the gender barrier and "become" men. The other way around is far less acceptable, and that is because men have one role, women have all the roles. I'm sorry, but men created the one role mentality over many centuries, and people who differ from that role are different and wrong. The only way for men to break this one role view is to act outside it, which not many men are willing to experience the social consequences of. Women had nothing to lose, so to escape the one role we had, feminism was born. Do the same for men if you don't like living in a one role world, or do what the gays and transsexuals do well, break the mold and risk criticism.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:03 pm

Zornslemma wrote:

I do not accept that your personal and social problems give you the right to make sexist statements. Maybe people are unsympathetic to you because you are not what is called a “sympathetic character”. Your experience is not universal truth; it’s not even necessarily a national truth. Plenty of people are whiners and from my observation, how this is tolerated or not by others, is entirely related to things such as social status and popularity, charisma and the ability to provoke sympathy rather than annoyance. None of these things are dictated or controlled by sex/gender.

Neither females nor feminists are to blame for your inability to provoke sympathy.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:10 pm

Padium wrote:
Zornslemma wrote:

Just as it is plenty more acceptable for "women" to cross the gender barrier and "become" men. The other way around is far less acceptable, and that is because men have one role, women have all the roles. I'm sorry, but men created the one role mentality over many centuries, and people who differ from that role are different and wrong. The only way for men to break this one role view is to act outside it, which not many men are willing to experience the social consequences of. Women had nothing to lose, so to escape the one role we had, feminism was born. Do the same for men if you don't like living in a one role world, or do what the gays and transsexuals do well, break the mold and risk criticism.

It should be noted there is a lot of sarcasm in here...

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:23 pm

pandd wrote:
Zornslemma wrote:

I do not accept that your personal and social problems give you the right to make sexist statements. Maybe people are unsympathetic to you because you are not what is called a “sympathetic character”. Your experience is not universal truth; it’s not even necessarily a national truth. Plenty of people are whiners and from my observation, how this is tolerated or not by others, is entirely related to things such as social status and popularity, charisma and the ability to provoke sympathy rather than annoyance. None of these things are dictated or controlled by sex/gender.

Neither females nor feminists are to blame for your inability to provoke sympathy.

He is not making sexist statements, he is highlighting the fact that behaviours that are acceptable for females are not acceptable for males. His statement, although a generalisation is a very true one. If i complain about something, i am seen by both men and women to be weak or hysterical. Whereas if a women is to complain about something, they are not judged by the same standard. I think this has more to do with the fact, that it is more okay to show disapproval to a man, and less okay to show it to a women. Women in general are seen are more fragile and weak. Yes, i know this perception is sexist to an extent, although origin is neither male or female.

You live up to my criticisms of feminism very well, in the sense that you change everything into an attack against women as a group, instead of looking at the issue objectively. You explain away quite obvious and apparent sexist practices.

Earlier it was stated that men could not possibly understand what women go through and i disagreed, although i suppose it is possible. Feminists and women in general show a huge lack of insight when it comes to male issues.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:36 pm

Michjo wrote:
Women in general are seen are more fragile and weak.

That is actually a true statement... Take a look at what the sex hormones do... Testosterone strengthens the bod in more ways thn you can perceive, including making the bones more durable, muscle accumulate twice as fast with half the effort, increasing maximum speed more, increasing agility, and many other aspects. In a modern western society though, males are less likely to fully utilize what this hormone is capable of doing. Even still, a man and woman of the same athletics and fitness, the man will be superior in a physical sitution, simply because of how testosterone affects the body. Being trans, I will lose all the advantges I had, although harder bones will take the longest to change.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:51 pm

Padium wrote:
Michjo wrote:
Women in general are seen are more fragile and weak.

That is actually a true statement... Take a look at what the sex hormones do... Testosterone strengthens the bod in more ways thn you can perceive, including making the bones more durable, muscle accumulate twice as fast with half the effort, increasing maximum speed more, increasing agility, and many other aspects. In a modern western society though, males are less likely to fully utilize what this hormone is capable of doing. Even still, a man and woman of the same athletics and fitness, the man will be superior in a physical sitution, simply because of how testosterone affects the body. Being trans, I will lose all the advantges I had, although harder bones will take the longest to change.

Physically men are stronger than women, yes. But from a psycological point of veiw, women are actually stronger. Women have better coping mechanisms, cope with stress better, can handle more physical pain and emotional pain than men can. However because women are more affective and cry more easily they are seen are more fragile and weak (by both men and women), so people tend to believe they need to be protected.

A very simple "at school" example of what i am talking about... it's often acceptable for a girl to tell a guy he has no dress sense, or even that he is not very attractive. A boy telling a girl this however would be veiwed by most people as a much more heinous crime. Another example would be, that if a girl insults, or physically attacks me... wether warrented or not, society see's her as having an "untouchable" status. I'm expected to take verbal and physical abuse and return none of it.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 11:04 pm

Michjo wrote:
Physically men are stronger than women, yes. But from a psycological point of veiw, women are actually stronger. Women have better coping mechanisms, cope with stress better, can handle more physical pain and emotional pain than men can. However because women are more affective and cry more easily they are seen are more fragile and weak (by both men and women), so people tend to believe they need to be protected.

A very simple "at school" example of what i am talking about... it's often acceptable for a girl to tell a guy he has no dress sense, or even that he is not very attractive. A boy telling a girl this however would be veiwed by most people as a much more heinous crime. Another example would be, that if a girl insults, or physically attacks me... wether warrented or not, society see's her as having an "untouchable" status. I'm expected to take verbal and physical abuse and return none of it.

Yeah, no... The coping mechanisms come from having to tolerate everything we deal with, which is much more than you would think we do. My experience as a guy was adrenaline and testosterone made getting over things a much simpler process. You are autistic, and cannot speak for all men claiming they do not have coping mechanisms, nd I can assure you, the male way of coping with stress is much more effective in the general male public based on a combination of studies and anecdotal evidence. The untouchable status can pretty easily be void as long as a male is not using any more physical force than necessary. As an aside, es men do win against women in court, as I am living with my father, and have been since my mom and dad divorced, as both he and my mom fought for us, and my dad obviously won to keep the three kids. There is a lot I don't understand because of autism, but I am not doubl ignorant in that I can recognize where I am lacking and different from a normal person, allowing me to learn to compensate, you may wish to self reflect to discover some of your autism induced flaws and learn how to cope with them. If self reflection isn't possibl, that is a definite flaw.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 11:33 pm

Padium wrote:
Michjo wrote:

Yeah, no... The coping mechanisms come from having to tolerate everything we deal with, which is much more than you would think we do. My experience as a guy was adrenaline and testosterone made getting over things a much simpler process. You are autistic, and cannot speak for all men claiming they do not have coping mechanisms, nd I can assure you, the male way of coping with stress is much more effective in the general male public based on a combination of studies and anecdotal evidence. The untouchable status can pretty easily be void as long as a male is not using any more physical force than necessary. As an aside, es men do win against women in court, as I am living with my father, and have been since my mom and dad divorced, as both he and my mom fought for us, and my dad obviously won to keep the three kids. There is a lot I don't understand because of autism, but I am not doubl ignorant in that I can recognize where I am lacking and different from a normal person, allowing me to learn to compensate, you may wish to self reflect to discover some of your autism induced flaws and learn how to cope with them. If self reflection isn't possibl, that is a definite flaw.

No, you are wrong. The untouchable status also applies somewhat to verbal abuse, and for most people there is no such thing as "appropriate physical force" when it concerns a female. I am expected to let them rough me up.

Also it has been scientifically prooven that women deal with stress better, and this has nothing to do with their "hard-ships" in life. A girl who has had an easy life, compared to a boy who has had an easy life, will feel less stress than the boy.

P.S. I find it hilarious that you think my autism somehow negates me from being male!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 11:34 pm

Not sure if I have much to add to this intriguing topic. My biggest issue with femenism is being called femenist in a duragatory way by guys. This seems to happen especially online whenever I disagree with a guy's view point. Funny thing is, I argue with guys and girls just alike but it's mostly guys that call me this even when the subject of genders is not involved.

Anyway, I'm still perplexed with the attitude people have toward femenism. I can understand the hysterics against extremists much like any other party or movement. But there seems to be a "popular" attitude in general about females and femenism in the extremity. I just think the word femenist meaning sexist is a bit tasteless and backward imo. Be nice if they could come up with another word instead of invoking the thought that a female's attitude or perspective has no right to be heard. That's a least the vibe I get whenever femenist is thrown at me.

Zornslemma
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2009, 12:00 am

Michjo wrote:

He is not making sexist statements, he is highlighting the fact that behaviours that are acceptable for females are not acceptable for males. His statement, although a generalisation is a very true one.

EXACTLY! :D

Pandd: Pointing out double standards based on gender does NOT equate to sexism because pointing out such facts does not show favoritism towards men over women but apparently doesnt fit your worldview. That is why you and activebutodd have attempted to write off the counterexamples I have presented stemming from personal experience. The reality is that SEXISM is Bidirectional and I certainly HAVE witnessed sexism against men as well as sexism aimed at women.