Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ntstanch
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2009, 7:16 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good text book or software for the behavior of particle's with childlike amounts of visual or video illustrations.

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2009, 5:54 pm

What kind?
I found a very basic one but you can't choose how many/what kind of particles you want

http://www.seb.cc/particles/

This one is a bit more customizable

http://www.anandavala.info/TASTMOTNOR/c ... S3_2b.html

If you're looking for a collider software...hmm

Ntstanch
Raven
Raven

14 Jun 2009, 6:07 pm

Xanovaria wrote:
What kind?

Something to give me a more visual way to understand the workings of things like quanta and overall behavior in an atom and it's nucleus. I tend to neglect math and learn endlessly better from visual displays ... rather than a page long equation that tends to just annoy me and take forever to decipher.

A book with included visual software would be amazing.

edit: I suppose theoretical particle physics is a better term for what I'm looking for in the text.

androol
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2009, 4:33 am

I remember nearly failing my quantum mechanics. I just hope I'll do well in statistical mechanics so I can continue my program.

Ntstanch
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2009, 3:13 pm

quantum mechanics sucks ... I think the purpose of it is to make everyone almost fail.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 3:23 pm

Yeah, Quantum Mechanics can be an intense class, especially if you have someone none-too-adept at teaching the subject. When I took it, the class average was in the 20-40% range.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 3:26 pm

Ntstanch wrote:
quantum mechanics sucks ... I think the purpose of it is to make everyone almost fail.

The purpose of quantum physics is to accurately describe reality. It is counter intuitive since we spend the early part of our lives in a world that is man-scale, not atom scale. That is why quantum physics did not happen until the dawn of the 20th century c.e.

ruveyn

Ntstanch
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2009, 3:54 pm

And the teaching behind quantum mechanics still sucks. If we knew more about it maybe it wouldn't be such a pain in the ass. And it's hard to describe reality when you have to end every answer with a question mark.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you ... I just despise most of how we teach and do things at that level. Try asking students in calc 2 to give you five real life examples of a logarithmic function without referring to the math at all. Or even asking them to really describe what a derivative is. We teach s**t backwards.

edit: I despise how we teach overall ... but it just gets worse as you go up.