Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 5:42 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I've found it really helpful to be among people who "get" AS kids. Conventional parenting advice doesn't really work; we've really got to find new ways to look at things.

In that sense, I've found that even associating with the traditional "mother's groups" for babies and parents groups for school can sometimes be detrimental.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 10:20 pm

gbollard wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I've found it really helpful to be among people who "get" AS kids. Conventional parenting advice doesn't really work; we've really got to find new ways to look at things.

In that sense, I've found that even associating with the traditional "mother's groups" for babies and parents groups for school can sometimes be detrimental.

I find my self getting mad at some of the other mothers. The little things they sometimes complain about and how sometimes they have no idea what a blessing their normal every day lifes are. They got jucie on the rug I've got juice on the rug, cornmeal in the dishwasher and I don't evern know what the heck is on the wall all in the time it takes to use the bathroom. But that was when Jake was 4 or 5 and now I'm just greatful it's just one of those in the time it takes shower :)

Mom_of_Lucas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2009, 11:20 pm

Quote:

Yeah, my mother-in-law suggested I bring a squirt bottle full of water to the store next time, and when Lucas throws a fit I should spritz him in the face. It was a well-intentioned suggestion, and I think she figured it would snap him out of his meltdown. Who knows? It might. But in all likelihood, it would probably makes things much, much worse.

And as my husband said: The way Lucas screams, if someone saw us squirting him in the face with a water bottle they'd probably assume it was acid.

Still, there's a part of me that thinks it'd be good to squirt him when he freaks out - not for his benefit, but for my own comic relief. I wouldn't ever act on that impulse, but I've been enjoying the thought of it nonetheless. :wink:

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 11:40 pm

The water thing works on Nt kids because it shocks them out of the fit. On as or aussie kids it makes it much ,much worse please don't try this. I made that mistake with my younger son it took hours to calm him down and i thought he was going to stroke out it was so bad at one point, his eyes rolled all the way into the back of his head and if i could have found away to get him in to the car we would have ended-up in the ER that night. He called me bad for two weeks after that and didn't look at me for days after :oops: .

leechbabe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2009, 3:52 am

I remember when my daughter started biting me. She was just 2 years old at the time and whenever I tried to leave Heidi with someone else she would cling to me. This was even if I needed to go to the toilet, she had intense separation anxiety.

Heidi would cling to me, wrap her legs around my waist, her arms around my neck and bite down on my shoulder. I knew she only bit on my shoulder as a way of holding on to me.

One of the mums of NT kids said I should just bite Heidi back, give her a taste of her own medicine.

Even then, before we had a diagnosis (HFA) we were aware something was different about Heidi and I just to the mum that biting Heidi would only teach her that it was okay to bite people if you were not happy with what they were doing.

Two years down the track and we never see that Mum anymore, she just never got why we did things differently... mind you I never really understood her way of doing things either so it was a mutual miscommunication.