Your experience with biomedical therapies

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 9:02 pm

I realize this is a touchy subject for some on this forum. We have seen some improvements with our son since he has been taking a couple of supplements for his Mito, and I've noticed quite a bit of overlap between Mito and ASD biomed therapies. (In all honesty, I find the science quite interesting, minus the quacks of course.)

We are not interested in subjecting him to chelation or HBOT. A lot of the improvement we have seen is his grip strength and fine motor skills. We are not looking to "cure" him but rather to help him manage the day-to-day life and school activities a little easier.

Could some of you give me your experience with certain supplements or modes of biomed treatment?

Secondly, if you are/were younger and your parents were in charge of your therapies...how did that go? What were your feelings about it? Would you have continued, had you the choice?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 9:18 pm

The type of autism I have is considered the most severe. My mom cut the artificial flavors, sweeteners, and colors (especially the red) out of my diet. She said that helped a lot. Even to this day, I am very careful about what i eat in that regard. I can act neurologically typical for extended periods of time.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 7:28 am

cyberscan wrote:
The type of autism I have is considered the most severe. My mom cut the artificial flavors, sweeteners, and colors (especially the red) out of my diet. She said that helped a lot. Even to this day, I am very careful about what i eat in that regard. I can act neurologically typical for extended periods of time.

Thank you for providing your experience. My son has a feeding tube due to food protein allergies that send his GI tract into immune response that leads to malabsorption of nutrients. By default, his enteral formula happens to be GF/CF. When we were doing food trials, his body's reaction would also impact behavior in addition to further gut motility problems.