Any other aspies ever been on a sports team?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Ever been on a sports team?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 48 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
Do sports video games count? 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 63

mrj
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jun 2011, 8:41 am

volleyball at uni....but as i had know clue what people were thinking i had no friends!

fangfarrier
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: In the Highland of Scotland, never far from a pie shop

18 Jun 2011, 1:49 am

Always liked sports and will play any, however fittness has always been my problem, have enough stamina to keep going but not the speed.

Have medals around for various sports,but love of my life is rugby. It's a good game for Aspies in my opinion as it has positions for everybody, whether they can run fast or are just big! ( A bit like American Football)

Now I'm a bit older I've moved over to the coaching side and to be honest it's a lot harder. I've tried coaching adults but that didn't work out. My best success was coaching the youngsters, but as own kids have grown, I've moved up the age groups with them. Am finding coaching the under 16s a challenge as it's pretty much like dealing with adults..

Have always enjoyed sports but have found the post match festivities difficult, and whilst others seem to strike up friendships, it's something I never manage, not that I'm sure I want to.

I suppose one of the most noticable aspects is around transportation to away games, other players always seem to matchup and offer lifts and car share, but it's something that just doesn't really seem to happen to me, don't know how to instigate it.

Me, after much thought on the matter.

Xayah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2011, 9:44 am

I'm on two right now. I don't always mesh well with other girls on my teams but they put up with me. My field hockey coach is terrified of me, but my ice hockey coach and I have a good relations

the trials and tribulations of a girl pretending to be normal

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

I ran Track and Field in high school but I was NOT good at it.:(

rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2011, 6:31 pm

I played football (soccer) a lot, in the first years i was always laughing and many team mates would get annoyed by that , i had to try disguise my laugh to get along

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 6:59 pm

As a kid, I played baseball I think 2 seasons, and played soccer and football for half. I liked baseball, but my problem was performance anxiety and "relating" with the team members related. Soccer, I just didn't have the dedication/drive to pursue, and football I just completely hated playing and practice. Ugh. I also did a learn to play hockey thing as a kid, that was my favorite sport I tried as a kid, but my parents didn't have enough money to keep me going through hockey, and the other sport I liked, judo. After that, no sports...until now!

Now I've taken up figure skating and love it. I really hope I can continue it and the trials and tribulations of life don't make me a fat tired loser again.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 7:31 pm

I did basketball in middle school, cross-country running from 8th grade through sophomore year, distance running on the track team freshman year, and baseball junior and senior years. The sport I was best at was running during freshman year. I ran a 6 minute mile that year and I was the 6th best male runner on our cross-country team (typically 7 runners run in the varsity race for boys and girls but only the top 5 score). However, I really fell apart sophomore year and almost quit and I didn't come back for track season. That was the year my depression was the worst, and that may be related one way or the other. Anyways, I liked running but I'm too out of shape and don't have enough time to start again.

whyitsme
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

I played a lot of team sports like basketball, softball, and soccer during school. After school I played on an occasional softball team for years, but switched more to individual sports. Not on any team sports anymore, since hate having to be committed once or twice a week. I have always been a good athlete, but never had grace. Never a dancer. I think Aspergers has allowed me to stay fit over the years, since I have always motivated myself to live a healthy fit lifestyle. Opposed to NT friends of mine have to sign up for triathlons or races to motivate them.

Leester
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 12:08 am

In Radio Control Car Racing, I have been on endurance racing teams. These are races that are 4-6 hours long that require pit stops such as changing batteries, tires, motors (if they shutdown or overheat), and repairing the car if it breaks. There are at least 2-5 members on each team. Every driver takes turns driving in the the race for certain amount of time (ex, 30 minutes), or when the battery runs out. After when the battery is changed, the next driver goes on the drivers stand and drives the car. Every driver on the team is rotated over and over again until the end of the race. These races were run indoors, or outdoors, sometimes in the dark with very little light. I have never won an "enduro" as they call it, but I have made the podium many times.

As far as "traditional sports" go, I was on my middle school wrestling team in 8th grade and had a 15 second pin my first year. Which is one of the fastest records at my school. I was on my high school track team my senior year and was the fastest sprinter.

There were teams that I did not participate on, but I helped out with. I managed my high school football team for 4 years and helped my high school basketball team.

For Special Olympics I played alternate stroke golf, with my dad in 2005 and ran track and field from 2006-2008. I moved to California and played floor hockey during the 2008-2009 season and ran track and field later that year. I was very talented for track and field and almost went to the 2007 Special Olympics Summer World Games in Shanghai, My team mate on my club got to go. I ran four events ranging from relay, to jumping, to individual. I never lost the 100 Meter or 200 meter dash in my events in the most competitive divisions.

I am also a guest sprinter at a private college that they invited me to run with for 4 years now.