Any other aspies ever been on a sports team?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ever been on a sports team?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 48 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
Do sports video games count? 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 63

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 8:48 am

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Track & Field
Wrestling

Having a parent who was an athlete isn't fun at times.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 3:42 pm

I was on few sports teams back in the 1980s when I was in Elementary School. I played soccer and flag football.

Never did any in middle school or high school though.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 5:11 pm

Does darts count ? :) Played in works team.

I used to be competent at football (soccer) in school but not prominent or indeed outgoing enough to be noticed for any representative team. My sports teacher did praise me for my performances in volleyball - if there had been such a thing as an official volleyball team I might have been picked.

simmerskan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2009, 9:29 am

Well, swimming has always been a big sport for me. I have been on many competitions, and it went really well for a severeal years; i beat some personal records and for three och four years in a row I was on the Swedish championship in swimming for people with disability. Actually, it went so well for me, that I was select to a training camp in Bulgaria, (if I remember it right) but international rules stopped it. And with that, my passion for swimming died.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

28 Jun 2009, 1:49 am

When I was 11 I was on the school cross country team. I guess it wasn't much of a team sport but we still trained and ran competitions together.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 11:07 pm

Izzy_Dolphin wrote:
I did gymnastics (on a team) for 12 years and loved it, because I could support my teammates, but whatever we all did was individual and one person couldn't change how another person (or the "team") did, because we never competed for a team prize, just individual prizes.

howzat wrote:
Well i have been playing cricket since i was 14 and i enjoy every minute of the game given that i was the only aspie in the club.

Well, it does seem that at least some people have had some good experiences with sports. For me it was a mixed bag.
legionsdad wrote:
I played football in 9th grade, and wresling for 4 calender years. I was the best at my school. Still had no friends.

This is similar to my experience with basketball.
willa wrote:
I never really had much interest in playing at a college level in a big conference, it's a huge dedication and the chances of being one of the extreme few who are good enough to go pro is so slim it's not worth it. So I never went back to playing.

That's why I went to a DIII college and lost interest even though with enough practice I might have had a chance to go pro.
JerryHatake wrote:
Special Olympics team sports for me. I am quite a team player since I have leadership skills but I am a motivator for my teammates. With Mason Special Olympics, everyone see me as the team leader but someone who can make plays work with teamwork. Though the team usually gives me the ball in basketball but I will passed the ball around to make plays for my teammates to score.

Sounds a little different than my experience with basketball. My teams were really focused on competition and winning was most important. Everyone on the team had a team role. There was an individualistic element to that. One good way to think about it is to think of the team as a gigantic bomber plane. That plane would take several people all doing their jobs to be operated correctly. I would learn my teammates playing strengths in practice so that I would know where to pass them the ball or if I was in position to score to take it myself. One of my team roles was to be the motivator, though. If there was a chance of me being able to to streak towards the basket my teammates were supposed to get me the ball so I could attempt a flashy dunk that would motivate the team and spark a run, even at the expense of picking up a technical foul. I was the showboat. :oops:
Saspie wrote:
I was truly AWFUL at tennis - one team I filled in for was the little kids' team (I was about 15 and they were 10) and they totally destroyed me :P My 10-year old doubles partner would say "what is wrong with you??" Quite funny in hindsight. Both my grandmother and sister have been state tennis champions! Clearly I missed out on the tennis gene ;)

I have two former state champions at tennis in my family and I stink at tennis. :lol:
princesseli wrote:
I was on the swim team for 4 years in highschool. I wasnt very fast but it was a really good experiance for me to in learning how to stay in shape and it helped give me a start in learning how to socialize with other people. I worked really hard to become a decent swimmer, I had to work harder then most people but it was soo worth it. I cant imagine my life today if I was never on the swim team all those years.

This mirrors the best part of the sports experience for me, too. I'd be overweight and far more shy had I not been almost forced into basketball.

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2009, 12:13 pm

Canterbury Soccer team and Hurlstone Park Wonderers.

Bijou_Jewel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2009, 12:52 am

I've grown up my entire life a good swimmer. From age group, high school champ, nationals and oly trials (got there, but got my ass kicked.) But that was individual stuff, the only team sports I did was water polo. Yet I was stuck as to goalie (being a breaststroker I had the legs for it); I was good at it but not much part of the teamwork aspect. Hehe, I just made sure the ball didn't get in the net. <g> :p

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2009, 6:06 am

I used to play in a school football (soccer) team when i was a lot younger but was never particularly good. I was going to get back into it a couple of years ago but suffered a couple of knee injuries and havent really played since.

I much prefer just having a kick about in the park with a few friends, no pressure when making a mistake that way!

silvskaterdude
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2009, 10:02 am

i played soccar( what everyone outside the states and canada call football) from ages 7- 9 i was a pretty sick forward who scores alot of goals but than at ten i started skateboading and soccar was not as big a part of my life still skateboard to this day love it also downhill/ bmx/ street bike they rock but i stil play a casual soccar game oncei n a while.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 1:09 pm

I tried waterpolo in HS but just didn't fit with the other guys and I had a miserable time.

I discovered road cycling about 4 years ago. Yeah there are teams in cycling, but at the amateur level one can also compete solo.

Then I discovered triathlons. A triathlon is 100% individual achievement. In fact, we get penalized if we accept any outside help during the race. Drafting is not allowed so riders must stay away from each other. It is perfect. :P

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 8:21 am

i started rowing at my high school in my senior year, i've been rowing for my university for the last 3 years and i'll be rowing for them this year.

this summer has been particularly frustrating, however, because i've been sick, i've burnt out, etc. and i think it's probably due to my diet, i don't think i'm eating enough. i still eat a lot, i start the day with a 600-700Cal smoothie, have a 300Cal energy bar when i get to work, i eat two sandwiches during my breaks at work along with a lot of fruit and i'll have a pretty big dinner. I think i'm probably eating around 3000Cal per day but it's not enough. The tricky part about it is that i'm rowing in the lightweight category, so i've got to eat enough not to burn out but i can't overeat or i won't make weight.

I got a cold last week after a regatta. I only had one race on saturday but i was doing seat racing (a series of races in different boat combinations to find the fastest rowers) on sunday, which was a very hot day and the olympic basin in montreal has little to no shade. I had nine races that day so my body was exhausted which caused my immune system to take the back seat and i caught a bad cold. I'm going to see a doctor today because i think i might have bronchitis. I'm so frustrated right now.

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2009, 9:30 am

Yeah. Mostly as the reserve player. Got a medal once though, silver, left over at the end of a netball tournament and I got for turning up :D
A few times I have done my duties as reserve and taken part (except in rounders where I actually played a few times and hockey where I was usually the goalie) but didn't usually end too good. Not keen on team sports - too much pressure and organising. Much rather do something alone.

Ad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

No I have never been on a sports team. I was far too shy as a kid to participate in any activity in school involving other children. Now I'm 17 I think I've developed an interest in team sports.
I'd love to play in a team but I'm not very sociable around others and find NT's really hard to interact with.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:37 pm

I used to play handball for about 9 years, and before quitting, I strongly considered becoming a professional, as some opportunities arose in that direction. Then got injured (knee), and it took the weight of me of making a decission whether to pursure a professional carrier in sports or finishing school. Looking back, I it was the better thing to happen.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:42 pm

Yes...when i was eleven or twelve. I would chase bugs when i was in the outfield and dig holes looking for worms in the dugout. My career did not last long.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you