ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 8:06 am

Tory_canuck wrote:
http://watch.ctv.ca/news/power-play/friday-june-12/#clip182575

Not for prophet: Ezra, god help him, and the Levant also rises topic

You can squeeze a lot out of a name. I watched the video from Tom Clark's Power Play (I missed this one on Friday) but it was not clear to me exactly what Levant was talking about, so I checked out a number of sources to better view him.

he is a Rush Limbaugh/Glenn Beck/David Frum type, ultraconservative. Very young and very smart. Reacts when stirred. Likes controversy, as many of us do. Prefers the status quo to be himself. Interesting, and one to watch--with caution. :twisted:

Thanks for posting, TC.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 10:53 am

while i'm adamantly opposed to censorship, i am equally opposed to right wing fear mongers.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 3:22 pm

He was brought before that commission because a radical saudi cleric didnt like the Danish cartoons he re-published in the Western Standard Magazine.I have that issue of the magazine and have seen the cartoons.They are not as offensive as many thought them out to be.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 3:41 pm

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/sto ... 095061&p=1

Quote:
Two-tiered thought police
National Post

Published: Friday, December 19, 2008

Related Topics
Marc Lebuis

Abou Hammad Sulaiman al-Hayiti

Human Rights Policy

Political Policy

Canadian Human Rights Commission

Story Tools
-+ Change font size

Print this story

E-Mail this story
Share This Story
Facebook

Digg

Stumble Upon

More

Story tools presented by

As proposed changes to the Canadian Human Rights Act sit in political limbo, it seems the Canadian Human Rights Commission (CHRC) is determined to do its best to discredit itself further as an institution.

In April, a Quebec blogger named Marc Lebuis brought a complaint to the commission over a book published on the Internet by a Montreal-based fundamentalist Muslim, Abou Hammad Sulaiman al-Hayiti. Lebuis claimed that the book exposed gays, Jews, non-Muslims generally and other identifiable groups to "hatred or contempt" under the plain meaning of Section 13 of the act.

Mr. Lebuis' purpose, he admits, was to "test the objectivity of the commission" in light of commission rulings against Christians for publishing equally or less strident language.

The commission failed the test spectacularly. On Dec. 5, CHRC officials told Lebuis that they would not proceed with an investigation of his complaint. They argued that Mr. al-Hayiti was free to say whatever he liked against "infidels," and particularly non-Muslim women (what with their disturbingly

When it comes to radical Muslims, human rights censors suddenly see no evil wanton habits of dress and behaviour!) because they do not constitute an "identifiable group." As for Mr. al-Hayiti's imprecations against groups established as "identifiable," like gays and Jews, the commission reported vaguely that these "do not seem" to meet the criteria for promoting hatred.

The first part of the finding has the tendency of permitting any kind of abusive language to be used against members of a notional majority group by a member of a minority. As for the second, Mr. al-Hayiti's own words raise the question of what a radical Muslim writer could possibly ever do to be found guilty of arousing "hatred or contempt."

Allah, Mr. al-Hayiti warns, has taught that "If the Jews, Christians, and [Zoroastrians] refuse to answer the call of Islam, and will not pay the jizyah [tax], then it is obligatory for Muslims to fight them if they are able." Christianity, in particular, is denounced as a "religion of lies," which is responsible for the West's "perversity, corruption and adultery."

At one point, Mr. al-Hayiti's book refers to "the incredible number of gays and lesbians (may Allah curse and destroy them in this life and the next) who sow disorder upon the Earth and who desire to increase their numbers." In one short passage, this combines a seeming accusation of demonic "recruitment" with an open wish for the complete elimination of homosexuals and a claim that they are a source of social chaos. It is like a mini-compendium of every form of dehumanization, in other words, to which gays and lesbians have ever been subjected. Can you imagine how a Christian who uttered a similar statement would be treated by a human rights commission?

Actually, we don't need to wonder. A few years back, a Christian pastor named Stephen Boissoin printed some negative remarks about gays that were far tamer than those of Mr. al-Hayiti. The result: Alberta's Human Rights Commission smacked him down, declaring that henceforth he "shall cease publishing in newspapers, by e-mail, on the radio, in public speeches or on the Internet, in future, disparaging remarks about gays and homosexuals."

To our knowledge, Reverend Boissoin is the only religious figure anywhere in Canada who is legally barred from talking about homosexuality in his own sermons, in his own house of worship. Not Mr. al-Hayiti, though -- he can slam gays all he likes, "human rights" be damned.

This is part of a pattern that has revealed itself over the last few years. Human rights commissions claim to be agencies that fight "hate" generically. But in fact, they are interested in a very narrow sub-category of alleged hatemonger -- the right-winger accused of homophobia, anti-Muslim bias or some other thoughtcrime. The more unvarnished and explicitly murderous forms of hatred made manifest in the publications of, say, Jew-hating Muslims and Hindu-hating Sikhs are of no interest to the thought police.

In a narrow sense, the CHRC made the right call in this case: We are all in favour of Mr. al-Hayiti--or anyone else--being able to promote any particular interpretation of Islam, or any other religion. The larger problem is that Canada's thought police obey a politically correct double standard.

Section 13 of the Human Rights Act should be abolished: We don't want Canada to be a place where publications are screened for "hatred" by a coterie of bureaucrats. But until those people are properly turfed out of their jobs, perhaps the CHRC could be a little less overt in their bias against conservatism and Christianity.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 4:56 pm

Tory_canuck wrote:
He was brought before that commission because a radical saudi cleric didnt like the Danish cartoons he re-published in the Western Standard Magazine.I have that issue of the magazine and have seen the cartoons.They are not as offensive as many thought them out to be.

Cheesy Danish topic

I agree that censorship itself should be censored; :roll: however, one must remember not to stir the bees' nests I have discovered some of those nests house killer bees. Most Muslims I have met do not have a sense of humour and take offense readily and lethally. Remember, they come from countries where free speech is limited and they cannot tolerate dissent. Same with the Chinese, the North Koreans, and any other country where conflict is as easily ignited as dry timber on a hot windy day when lightening strikes. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 9:40 pm

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rlhAY_T5QAY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rlhAY_T5QAY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Parliamentary hearing of the HRCs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlhAY_T5QAY[/youtube]

Praetor2379
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2009, 7:34 pm

waltur wrote:
while i'm adamantly opposed to censorship, i am equally opposed to right wing fear mongers.

There is so much wrong with what you have said here. Since you live in California, you have no idea what's happening here in Canada. When you have a Human Rights' Commission telling people that you cannot offend (apparently they like to claim that everyone has an unalienable human right not to be offended) there is a serious problem. These HRC even will tell you what you can and cannot say in emails. Canada is plunging into a nation of censorship.

steelback
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2009, 5:16 pm

I'm opposed to left-wing fear mongers.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 6:08 pm

Yeah, me no like conservatives. :(

Tory_canuck
Veteran