Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2009, 6:09 am

Do you think it should be accepted for men to carry around purses? I think it would be quite convenient if I could carry around a purse as I would have room to carry stuff around (my pockets aren't that big). Why are bags to carry stuff in conveniently seen as a woman's thing?

willa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 6:47 am

what do you carry around? I've never needed more than my wallet, cell phone and keys.

I've got one of those over the shoulder style laptop/briefcase style bags I use for work stuff. But I just cant think of anything else i'd need a bag for for regular use.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2009, 7:18 am

There are wallets and also special money-sacks designed for men. These will often attach to your belt so you can actually wear them.

I use back pockets to carry cards and it is best to do the button up on them which makes them harder to pick-pocket.

Side pockets with zips would be useful for regular trousers because it would also protect them better from pick-pockets as well as things simply falling out, but they don't make these things practical.

I insist on shirts with top pockets. I even now have a nice polo shirt with one.

legionsdad
Raven
Raven

15 Jun 2009, 8:33 am

That's why I like cargo pants and shorts. If I have important paperwork, I will use a messenger bag or a backpack.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 10:26 am

I don't understand the original post. When has it ever been unacceptable for males to use convenient methods for carrying stuff?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 12:37 pm

Backpacks, map bags, messenger bags, portfolio cases, and briefcases are all manly ways to carry extra stuff. (Also, men's clothing usually has more pockets than women's, which is why we end up having to carry purses in the first place.)

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:53 pm

I'm living in central Europe and round here you see lots of guys carrying purses. After ten years here I still can't get used to it (I use my pockets).

Vanilla Slice

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 6:22 pm

I live in fairly hippy-ish town and I've seen some guys around with "man purses." They're sort of like cloth shopping bags, but about one-third the size, and with some ornamentation, beads, etc on the outside.

Personally, I just use an college old book bag to haul my stuff/crap around (books, iPod, sunglasses, phone, PDA, pens, reading glasses, Red Bull, etc.).

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 9:23 pm

It is called a messanger bag for guys, buy yourself one and you got yourself a guys version of a purse. Just make sure you wear it correct by slinging it around the neck/shoulder so it rests on your back, so it doesnt look like you have a purse. Many many women also use messanger bags, so they are pretty universal. No one will think twice about it.
This is one of the best brands, will last you a long time, and you can git it in different sizes depending how much crap you carry around.
http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Classic-Messenger-Bag-Black/dp/B000S393OS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1245204452&sr=1-1
I have a few messanger bags, they are great for days I want to walk around a city with my camera equipment. I load it up with lenses and stuf and blend in with everyone else. I can throw it on and bike across town to buy something, toss it in my bag.
The alternative would be a backpack, but unless you are setting off on a hike or something, or have a lot of stuff to carry around, it is a little over kill. I have many backpacks for hiking and commuting, but a messager bag works most of the time.
You could also try a fanny pack, if you want to go for the nerd look, just make sure it is a bright color, like neon green or something :lol:

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 5:09 am

Tell some big hairy Scotsman that he is effeminate for wearing his sporran and he might stab you with the dirk he keeps in his sock. :D

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 2:16 pm

Wombat wrote:
Tell some big hairy Scotsman that he is effeminate for wearing his sporran and he might stab you with the dirk he keeps in his sock. :D

Who dresses like that, in traditional clothing? I have never been to Scotland, but I am pretty sure the majority dont walk around with a sporran and a dirk in his sock, lol. I dont know, maybe a fanny pack is stylish in Scotland, here in the US, your a dork if you wear a fanny pack... anyway I could care less what a guy carries around, if you want to carry around a purse I would just think your queer and really wouldnt care. Being aspie I at least try to blend in the best I can.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 12:49 am

OP, I feel you, man. Messenger bags and backpacks are too big. D: I sometimes end up carrying my overcoat on a hot day just so I have places to carry all my stuff--glasses (I take them off for anything short range like reading), sunglasses, cell phone, wallet, iPod, etc. I can't just carry it all in my pants pockets!

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 2:23 am

Excuse my predetermined position on the topic,
but I knew what I wanted to post before reading the thread contents - the title alone describes a picture.

"men and purses" - don't mix

"men and purses" - friends don't let friends carry purses

"men and purses" - only if you are told too, and she stays within sight

I'm not a homophobe, male chauvinist, stereotyping macho egomaniac nor a bigot

But there are some things that just down right socially unacceptable, kinda like me.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 7:57 am

My dad has a coin purse.

I think there a misconception about what a purse is. A purse is just a container for transporting small things. In fact a wallet is a type of purse. There are various styles but typical a coin purse for men is like a small leather box, often semi circular with a leather hinge. It is good security to separate you money on you person. That is why he keeps notes, cars, and coins in separate places.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 12:58 pm

Wombat wrote:

Aye laddie, tell like it is ! !! !

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 1:18 pm

I don't see anything wrong with it. There is such a thing as a 'man bag', these look smaller and easier to carry than a messenger bag or backpack. http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... &q=man+bag

People will say all kinds of rubbish about it being a 'handbag' or a 'purse', but it was men who originally carried bags, not women. Same with watches.

If you really find those too feminine, get an Army disposals bag
Pic won't work- http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/milit ... -web-1.jpg

I want the one in black. I'm just not very girly I guess ^_^