How do you get rid of a monotonous voice?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

NicksQuestions
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2009, 3:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
NicksQuestions wrote:
My voice doesn't have good fluctuation. Are there any good methods? Is there anything they do for those diagnosed with AS/HFA?

Listen to yourself. Record yourself reading stuff.

ruveyn

I think that may actually be a good idea.

Although I don't have a problem with reading facial expressions, at least according to all those online tests, I decided to get a copy of Simon Baron-Cohen's MindReading Emotions Library. He made it specifically for AS/HFA. It has animated facial expressions and voice recordings from six different people for over 400 emotions! (grouped into emotion 24 families, using some taxonomy system) I looked at it and it looks cool and like it will be helpful, although with over 400 emotions there's no way I can become familar with all of them!

I was thinking I could use the recorder on my cell phone and try to imitate the tone of voice for each of the major emotions groups, then play the recording back and see how well I change my tone for the emotion. Then I could practice it in real life to generalize; hopefully that works. I was also thinking I could practice the facial expressions in front of a mirror, since many people say I don't show much facial expression.

Grapes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jul 2009, 4:00 pm

My NT husband has more of a monotonous voice than I've got. I used to speak in monotone out of odd strain when I had to use the bathroom and was desperately trying to contain myself; this became irrelevant as I'm medically incontinent now.

NicksQuestions
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2009, 4:02 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
NicksQuestions wrote:
My voice doesn't have good fluctuation. Are there any good methods? Is there anything they do for those diagnosed with AS/HFA?

Listen to yourself. Record yourself reading stuff.

ruveyn

That could work very well, as long as hearing yourself doesn't daunt you too much. I think it knocked my self-confidence at first, but luckily not too much. It's interesting - I think I actually sound "better" when I'm talking to people than I do when I'm alone and recording my spoken voice. And I've heard a recording of John Lennon when he was trying to record an audio diary as an experiment, and his voice had become very mumbly and monotonous....in the end he said "actually this is really boring" and stopped the tape. And that was somebody with apparently great confidence in his singing voice and his speaking voice in public.

I think that will be something I'll need to work on, making it so it generalizes to the right situations. I heard one of the biggest problems with social skills training is getting the brain to have the skills carry over to other situations.