Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 4:20 pm

I'm mostly referring to things that could be done manually but are automated, things like automatic sliding glass doors, motorized air mattress pumps, etc. I think I enjoy exploring alternatives, and this goes along with that.

When I was a kid, I used to find the sliding glass doors highly entertaining. I would spend all of my time trying to see how close I could get before the doors triggered. I could do this for an hour or more.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 4:39 pm

I am fascinated by large machines. Not monster trucks used for dirt races, or things which are made big to break a record, but things which are huge because of the job they do. Like a stacker-reclaimer, or the enormous trucks used in open-pit iron ore mines. Or big cranes.

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jun 2009, 5:04 pm

I always had a love of automated things. I, too, spent ages trying not to trigger the sliding doors. I also liked taking apart machines and putting them back together.

I'm now about to start on my PhD in interactive systems design. I guess I never lost interest. :D

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 6:09 pm

I too love automatic things, machines, anything involving systems.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 6:18 pm

Yep. I like control theory.

DolcetTones
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2009, 1:29 am

One of the reasons I love shows like "How It' Made" is my love of watching manufacturing porcesses, particularly the automated bits. This goe sback a ver long way; I remember liking those sorts of this, milk botling plants and such, in the kiddies show I watched whn I was little. I guess these days, it'd probably be seen as a clue to my future DX.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 2:23 am

I hae written several programs that help me automate certain task. These tasks include striking back at spammers, screening telephone calls, etc. If I can get rid of an annoyance automatically, I do so.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 3:41 pm

I love Rube Goldberg-style machines where a small action (like placing a ball on the top of a slide, or pulling on something) results in a lot of movement. There was also a time when everything my family owned had to be electric - from the carving-knife through the pencil-sharpener to my piggy bank in the shape of a haunted house that shook and cackled before it swallowed my coin! That was rather fun. :wink: