? for women: do you wear makeup? why or why not?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 4:42 pm

Am I the only female here who can't stand wearing makeup? Other than occasionally lipstick I cannot stand wearing makeup. It makes me feel like my face is being attacked. Sometimes when I see women out in the world with loads of makeup on I'm astonished that they're not going crazy.

If you're male and wear makeup feel free to respond! :lol: No offense to mathogre.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 4:52 pm

I never wear Make-up. I can't stand the feel of it. I've only worn it once, and that was to my Prom. I couldn't wait to wash it off. I've known some women who feel that the Make-up makes the woman. I don't feel or think that way, at all. I think that it's up to the Individual. My Sister wears Make-up and I don't. It doesn't make my Sister any more mature. And it doesn't make me any less of a woman. It just means that the two of us are two different people.

ASChigirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2006, 4:54 pm

Hey there --

In answer to your question, I do wear makeup somewhat frequently (I'm working on wearing it every day ... :D )

The key for me is not shoveling it on ... ironically, my mom NEVER taught me how to apply makeup. Like a true aspie, I learned how to do it from a book ... :wink: . What probably helps is that I'm not that sensitive in a tactile sense, so it doesn't bother me to put makeup on ... when I feel confident enough to do it.

The reason I wear makeup is because I tend to break out ... and wearing makeup forces me to take better care of my skin.

If you want to, you can PM me, and I'll be happy to chat further.

aprillove
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2006, 5:10 pm

i almost never wear make up. about the only time i do wear make up is if i have a speech or a promotional type thing for my books, but those are rare. i wear it then because i know that if i'm onstage i need it to make my features look better (i used to be in theater--had to really cake it on then!! !) or to look more professional since i'm trying to sell books. but outside of that, i can't stand it. besides, why wear make up when i normally don't get out of my jammies or brush my hair (the amazing power of clippies LOL).
april

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 5:11 pm

I can wear eye makeup and lipstick or gloss. Other than that, I HATE the feel of it on my face. It's a tactile hangup of mine. I don't really like anything on my face, though I use retin-a and have gotten used to that (and moisturizer, when my skin gets painfully dry). I'll use sunscreen on the beach but I hate doing it, all over but especially on the face.

I also used ot be unable to use any kind of lotion or chapstick. Severe dry skin has kind of killed whatever revulsion I ever had and now I use lotion several times a week on average on my hands and am constantly chapsticked.

aprillove
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2006, 5:19 pm

chapstick is a neccessity for me. i used to incubate chicken eggs, and when the little chicks would hatch, i spend all kinds of time on the floor with the little chicks. they were in a box with a heat lamp. well, the heat lamp fried my lips so many times that now i can't hardly go at all with chapstick. but it was worth it!! !! baby chicks are so cute and cuddly.
april

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2006, 5:59 pm

I don't usually wear it a whole lot. I'll put on chapstick/gloss most days, but that's all. The only time that I'll put on more makeup than usual is when I'm going out somewhere nice, or if I just feel like it. But I don't usually put on makeup, because I don't want to take the time to put it on.

Liorda
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2006, 6:07 pm

I don't wear makeup. I tried as a teen but it made my face feel oily and dirty. I can wear mascara, shadow and eyeliner. I don't wear lipstick, I just lick it off. I usually wear lipchap.

nortala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2006, 3:27 am

I wear make up very rarely (the last time was when I was interviewed for my current job - a year and a half ago) and when I do wear it I don't wear much. I absolutely cannot put on eyeliner. I once had to wear it for a drama production - it took two people to hold me still and a third to put it on I was flinching that badly...

I do have very dry lips though, and use vaseline for that

Nuntar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2006, 6:40 am

I'm not a woman, but I'd like to make one quick comment.

Not wearing make-up has always been one of my criteria for my ideal girlfriend. Which doesn't mean I'd automatically turn down anyone who did, just that I'd prefer not. I thought this worth mentioning because unfortunately it seems to be a popular myth these days that no man will give you a second look if you're not invisible beneath six layers of chemicals. Just wanted to let you know it's not true! :wink:

katie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2006, 8:40 am

no way would i wear make-up. it give me the shivers ya know? i hate it. i doubt i would ever date a guy who wanted me to wear makeup.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2006, 10:37 am

I normally won’t wear it because I don’t like the feel (I know how it feels because I had to wear it for school plays when I was little). Last Halloween, though, my friend made me up to look dead and I was happy to wear that because it looked really cool- red shadows around my eyes, veins outlined in grey, the whole bit.

corey
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2006, 3:35 pm

No I don't wear Make up. I don't like the stuff.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 4:26 pm

personally, i like wearing makeup! just mascara and eyeliner though - otherwise i'm way too worried about if it's smudged or not! i feel like, though it's fine if you've got something special planned or if you're a model, that any makeup that's not going to already enhance your bbest features is unnecessary.

at the same time, i think it's really cool - it transforms the human face, kind of like making the face a work of art! i like it :)

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 7:30 pm

My daughter could do her makeup better than me when she was 10 years old. I don't wear it, partly because I don't like looking in the mirror, have better things to do with my time, and also because I just don't know how to put it on. Eyeliner? OMG. Maybe I'm missing that gene. I do however wear lipstick or gloss - my lips are addicted to it. I can't stand the feel of dry lips. It's easier to smile when my lips aren't dry, and I have a hard enough time smiling as it is.

Whenever I see a woman who does her makeup well I tend to want to just look at how she did it, but that would be rude, wouldn't it, so I try not to do that.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 8:37 pm

I don't wear make up more often than I do. I just can't be bothered most days. If I do, it's mainly just a little light foundation with compressed powder. Most of the time people don't even know I have it on. I have very dark and thick eyelashes, so I only wear mascara occasionally. Sometimes lip gloss. But I don't wear lipstick, ever. It's gross. I don't like blush and I don't see the need for eyeliner, although I will use a brow pencil sometimes.

I wish I could do make up well. I have some odd features to my face that are not flattered by standard make-up techniques. I probably would have ot go to a professional make-up artist/consultant to see what should be done with my face. But again, too much fo a bothered. I keep telling myself I ought to do that, mainly so I know how to look nice in a professional setting, and never get around to it.