Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 9:00 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Well, back in March, my computer somehow got infected by a virus, and after trying everything to remove it, and failing, the machine was just out of commission. The other day, I finally had it, and formatted the hard drive, and reinstalled everything, and now I have my computer back!

I don't know why I waited months to do this. Some kind of executive dysfunction, I guess. Takes me 5 times as long to get around to something. Anyways, I'm happy that I can finally, you know, LIVE again.

ok that's it. just happy about things. :D

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 9:44 am

It's great to see that you're back among the living, Acacia.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 10:15 am

I would have worked on recovering and/or fixing it before giving up and reinstalling everything. IT just takes so much hard work, now I have a backup of a fresh install (backed up just after installing) so I can restore and save 2 hours entering information, etc. Can't be bothered to use the script, restoring is quicker.

I spent 6 months on and off trying to recover over 100GB of games on another hard drive. Now, I could have reinstalled everything, but I hate setting up the game and having to start again, hence why I put it off until I finally managed to recover all but 2 files.
Yes, I had a backup before it all went kaput. The damned backup was corrupt on ONE disc and would just throw a wobbly every time it came to that disc. It wouldn't bother to retry, just gave up. I must have spent an entire week with some recovery software trying to recover that disc.

I think now my DVD-RAM drive is dying. It won't read any discs, when it does, it's very rare for it to do so. Still, only cost me £20 Time to get another, but I can't be bothered.

How long were you without a working computer? How long did it take to get up and running? Did you have any issues along the way?

steeviebops
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2009, 9:18 pm

Keith wrote:
I would have worked on recovering and/or fixing it before giving up and reinstalling everything.

I hear you! I haven't done a clean install of XP for over 2 years. Even when I got my new laptop back in March I simply cloned the existing OS from my previous laptop, I'm pretty good at that sort of thing because I know the ins and outs of the NT boot sequence (well pre-Vista anyway). It runs perfectly fine so I can't complain.

sqoouf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2009, 10:55 am

Mine's half dead.. If mines not happy, i fix it as soon as i can. (of course, I'm broke!)
Hard drives clicking, windows crashing, boot.ini disappeared, norton a/v telling me that ive got no viruses, and a broken spacebar because i just lost my head with google chrome when I was typing into wp, it was going back for some obscure reason.
Please, tux, the beautiful god uf linux.... save meeeeeeeee! (oh, tux cant fix my hdd? damn!)

Broken PC = :x