Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 11:24 am

My daughter intends home schooling her two daughters now aged 2 and 5. They are both very bright.

I know that I was disappointed by the school system as was my daughter.

I think she can do a better job than the "school system"

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 12:56 pm

Quite a lot of families here have had success with home schooling. I hope it goes well.

elancee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2009, 1:25 pm

I was home educated from the age of nine and will be forever grateful to my parents for doing so! My younger siblings never attended school and are more confident and well-adjusted than most people I know (whether it was my years in school, AS or parental treatment that made me less so than they, I can't say).

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 1:38 pm

I was home schooled until I was in third grade (when my mom could not handle it anymore& thought I needed to move on). I wish she would have home schooled me after 5th grade ended though (public & parochial schools are awful) :twisted: .

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2009, 9:16 pm

I'm homeschooling my gifted possible Asperger 4 year old daughter, it's mostly self led learning at the moment and i just support, encourage and help her and give her new ideas and learning opportunities.

My 2 year old son though is differnet and so it'll be interesting to see how teaching him will be different.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 3:04 am

Let's look at it.

Kindergarten plus grades 1 to 6 = 7 years.

What do they actually learn?

Hopefully to read and write plus arithmetic up to multiplication and division.

Big deal! I could read and tell time when I was four.

I can remember being very excited about going to Kinder and school.

Then they had these really dumbass things like drawing a line between a dog and a bone or a cat and a dish of milk.

Later on they had really silly stories about a boy and his sister who lived in France.

I can remember in fourth grade telling my teacher "I don't care about that nonsense. If you tell me about France then tell me about France.

Zulaxia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jun 2009, 3:46 am

We're home schooling our children. We started in March. Our 7 year old daughter has ADHD and our 6 year old son has autism. Neither one was being looked after properly in school and they're doing fantastically at home even after this short time.