Developer
Developer

17 Jan 2006, 7:43 pm

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Ullman's point is that while computers are making wonderful things possible, they are also recreating the world in their own image. "Computers abhor error... [and] abhorring error is not necessarily positive," she says in a 1990s Salon.com interview. "We learn through error... so it affects us to have more and more of our life involved with very authoritarian, error-unforgiving tools. I think the more time you spend around computers, the more you get impatient with other people, impatient with their errors, impatient with your own errors."

I wonder how many other people find this paragraph interesting.

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2006, 7:12 pm

Wahoo im a geek and proud of it.

Benjammin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2006, 7:50 pm

We're not geeks. Don't buy into that label crap. It's just the rest of the world's way of coping with people they don't understand. So they give us or others a label to soothe their ignorance.

But a really FANTASTIC but at times, struggling book to read is "Geek Love."

It has nothing to do with Asperger's or computers, technology, nothing. It's about life in an old travelling carnival. But I couldn't put it down once I got past the boring, first few chapters and have re-read it many times since.

Lygophile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2006, 9:15 pm

Benjammin wrote:
But a really FANTASTIC but at times, struggling book to read is "Geek Love."

I second that! I had it sitting around for a while because I had been on a Harry Potter binge and couldn't bear to read anything else, but when I eventually did it was well worth it.

Origaia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2006, 6:21 am

Not a bad article.