Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 4:53 pm

Solei wrote:
And I hated that offer from Burger King that would give you a free burger for defriending 10 people. What kind of offer is that?!

A convenient one if you're going to unfriend people you no longer like anyway. Too bad they retracted it, I just unfriended a bunch of people and didn't get a free meal out of it.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2009, 10:25 pm

Keith wrote:
What about your own family members actively rejecting a request?

HA! KEITH, THAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME!! !! What is their problem?! Never did anything to them. Oh, well.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2009, 10:32 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
riverotter wrote:
Hamnet wrote:
I have very strict privacy settings on mine, also it's set up so that nobody can add me as a friend, I have to add them first.

Brilliant! Good armor against former tormentors.

I have to somewhat disagree with you, riverotter.

While having very strict privacy settings are good, your idea of good armour against former tormentors is not helping the helping process.

My Conflict, Trauma, and Healing course I took in the spring semester told me that healing is not complete without forgiveness.

People may disagree with me on the matter but in the end,forgiveness is required to be fully healing from the past.

Good point, Jerry. I found, amazingly, that most of the people on there who were mean to me in school daily, do not recall it, and they are friends with the same people I am friends with, sometimes! also, there lives very well may have been miserable and turned out miserable. What goes around comes around. This made me breathe a sigh and let out the stress of their bullying. Besides, if someone bullied me in school, I made fun of them right back (wouldn't do that now).

The people who had bullied me in the past, I have let go of those memories since I have overcame those negative comments with my own sheer will and determination.

I have proving those individuals wrong with the achievements I have made in life.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2009, 10:46 pm

Sounds like you have made a lot of personal progress, Jerry. It took a lot of hard work and you did it- "the best retribution is to lead a happy life." That is commendable.
I am dealing with it in a bit different way- to forgive, but not to forget: let me explain- one of my former tormentors found me on Facebook. I thought long and hard about it, blogged about it, talked to my mom about it. I realized that he had had a lot of problems too. Big problems that explain some of his behavior. Now I am working on a book/project/blog thing about grade school bullies and I think I am going to (try to) initiate a conversation with him about it. He was mean- why? I am going to try to help kids who are now getting bullied, using my experiences, and him finding me could be a key piece in helping others heal. We each heal in different ways. I like hearing others's experiences. Good luck on your journey.
You sound like you have some really good insight. Are you interested in getting interviewed? Online- email- by me- for my project? PM me if you might be interested.[/quote]

RiverRotter: When I was first published nationally in 1993, they asked me for a personal quote. My quote was 'Success is your best revenge'. I invented that quote in 1993. (wendy w, actress, singer, writer).

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2009, 10:50 pm

riverotter wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
riverotter wrote:
Hamnet wrote:
I have very strict privacy settings on mine, also it's set up so that nobody can add me as a friend, I have to add them first.

Brilliant! Good armor against former tormentors.

I did find an old tormentor on fbook. I reminded him that he had stuttered in school and I was the only one who never made fun of him. He claimed to not recall making fun of me, although when it came time to sign my yearbook, he refused with a look of disgust.
HE ACTUALLY APOLOGIZED TO ME ON FBOOK. Over 25 yrs later.

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2009, 10:54 pm

I just deactivated mine. :)

tha_tempest
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2009, 4:10 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
I pretty much hate it too, a lot of people from a past I just want to leave behind have popped up again and as I'm always trying to be nice I have accepted them, bad memories have been brought back up, recently I'm just ignoring everything coming from it.

Same here, :( but as long as they don't throw me any BS i guess we can all get along...

tha_tempest
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2009, 4:16 pm

And i must add that most of the time i'm the one who is paying too much mind to those bad memories, most of the times they either forgot or just don't care about it anymore.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 1:24 am

Keith wrote:
What about your own family members actively rejecting a request?

That just sucks.

I have the problem that if I ever post anything controversial/meaningful I lose some random number of random facebook friends. Sometimes people I know have blocked me, and it hurts. I have been banned once for putting out too many friend requests, so I am kinda sick of it. The only reason I am still on there is that my girlfriend is on there and sometimes we play YoVille together.

seebert
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2009, 2:29 pm

On the plus side, because of facebook, I'm living the best revenge for high school possible- only I, an Aspie, stepped up to organize my 20th high school reunion! People who would tease me or worse yet wouldn't even talk to me in high school, are now my friends on facebook, and will all have me to thank for us having a reunion at all this summer.

Observer20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2009, 5:42 pm

seebert wrote:
On the plus side, because of facebook, I'm living the best revenge for high school possible

Or you could be nasty and say the meanest, most hurtful thing possible to them, and they could do nothing about it. :twisted:

Raskle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2009, 6:18 pm

Facebook is a load of bollocks, if you ask me. I had an account for about one week, and deleted it out of disgust. It was so annoying to be contacted by people I knew about a thousand years ago and have their pseudo-friendship shoved down my throat.

daveybaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2009, 8:13 pm

Geeeze, guys. Err, facebook doesn't have to be that bad. I mean, I wondering right now why my friend's ex-boyfriend I met a couple days ago hasn't accepted my friend request, in spite of how polite we were being to eachother. It doesn't really matter...

Folks have their reasons for why they do the things that they do. Don't take it personally, don't read behind the lines on facebook, cause nothing on there really matters anyway.

I have about 80 or so friends on there, I see no reason to have anymore, and I only add people I feel I had a connection with. I ignore everyone else. And that's how it should be.

Now my sister's facebook page is another story...

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 10:18 pm

I have 1600+ friends but still feel unhappy. They are all so superficial and they make me more tired than before!

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 7:47 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
I have 1600+ friends but still feel unhappy. They are all so superficial and they make me more tired than before!

1600+ ?!?! That is insanely huge! I'm sure that most of them aren't your friends, but people who you know of.

On my old Facebook account, I had 404 "friends" before I deleted it. Of those, I would say around 40 at the absolute most are friends, the rest are all acquaintances and randoms.

What annoys me is that on Facebook, lots of people joke and say random stuff with each other (which I don't understand why it's funny), yet when I post a message on their wall, they either don't reply or they give a rather short answer. I don't get why they love talking crap yet when I'm trying to be nice (although serious), they just go silent. What's with that?!

So yeah, I was sick of being semi-ignored, so I deleted that account and started a new private account, where I only add people who I am actually friends with and can actually have a conversation without feeling like an idiot.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 2:04 am

I guess I may learn from you... I am going to set up my 3rd FB account pretty soon, which is private.