Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

19 Jun 2009, 4:26 pm

They are claiming IE8 is more secure, more reliable, and more compatible than Mozilla and Chrome, while insisting that they match their competition in performance, standards-compliance, and customizability.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/get-the-facts/browser-comparison.aspx

It's good for a laugh, if nothing else.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,532
Location: Alberta Canada

19 Jun 2009, 4:36 pm

Standards are formed then they ignore them.

How can they have the greatest compatibility then?


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


pakled
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,827

19 Jun 2009, 8:57 pm

well, that's just standard salesspeak...;)



AmericanPie
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 17

20 Jun 2009, 4:40 am

Even this pre-Alpha build of Chrome on my Dad's Linux box, knocks the spots off IE.



anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,825
Location: Europe

20 Jun 2009, 12:39 pm

yes, we had a good laugh about it at work today. IE8 is the nightmare of all apps programmers in my company.


_________________
not a bug - a feature.


Keith
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,595
Location: East Sussex, UK

21 Jun 2009, 12:57 am

How can they claim "IE8" is the EASIEST to use? All I can see in buttons are back and forward. Refresh is a little harder to see. What about stopping a page loading? If you don't know the keyboard shortcut, you have to go back.

Good for a laugh anyway



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

21 Jun 2009, 1:17 am

Keith wrote:
How can they claim "IE8" is the EASIEST to use? All I can see in buttons are back and forward. Refresh is a little harder to see. What about stopping a page loading? If you don't know the keyboard shortcut, you have to go back.

Good for a laugh anyway

IE is very easy to use. It hardly took me any time at all to figure out how to download Firefox.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,298
Location: Nevada (not Vegas)

21 Jun 2009, 1:49 am

I wish I had known how crappy it was before "upgrading" from IE7. I don't think I was even aware that I was "upgrading."


_________________
"Let reason be your only sovereign." ~Wizard's Sixth Rule
I'm working my way up to Attending Crazy Taoist. For now, just call me Dr. Crazy Taoist.


peterd
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2006
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,353

21 Jun 2009, 3:58 am

There's a thing here: what you're used to always looks more familiar than what you're not.

Microsoft's view of the future is a world where everyone uses Microsoft. Some of us aren't comfortable with that sort of outlook. How the next product looks doesn't seem terribly important in the face of that sort of ideological impasse.



kip
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,387
Location: Somewhere out there...

21 Jun 2009, 4:58 am

Orwell wrote:
Keith wrote:
How can they claim "IE8" is the EASIEST to use? All I can see in buttons are back and forward. Refresh is a little harder to see. What about stopping a page loading? If you don't know the keyboard shortcut, you have to go back.

Good for a laugh anyway

IE is very easy to use. It hardly took me any time at all to figure out how to download Firefox.


*ded*

Thats about all I do with IE... I don't even bother with updates. And silverlight may look cool, but it's not cool enough.


_________________
Every time you think you've made it idiot proof, someone comes along and invents a better idiot.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot


Keith
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,595
Location: East Sussex, UK

21 Jun 2009, 5:04 am

Orwell wrote:
Keith wrote:
How can they claim "IE8" is the EASIEST to use? All I can see in buttons are back and forward. Refresh is a little harder to see. What about stopping a page loading? If you don't know the keyboard shortcut, you have to go back.

Good for a laugh anyway

IE is very easy to use. It hardly took me any time at all to figure out how to download Firefox.


:lol: You can't use IE on Linux very well. And if you could, why would you ;) Chances are, you would have Firefox 3.0 at the least.
Good comment though :D



EtotheC
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 89

24 Jun 2009, 2:21 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Standards are formed then they ignore them.

How can they have the greatest compatibility then?


Because the Zune is the best media device on the market!, didn't you know?



Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,532
Location: Alberta Canada

24 Jun 2009, 2:43 pm

EtotheC wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Standards are formed then they ignore them.

How can they have the greatest compatibility then?


Because the Zune is the best media device on the market!, didn't you know?


The zunes are actually really nice.

Interfacing with a computer is where they suck.


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

24 Jun 2009, 2:46 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
The zunes are actually really nice.

Interfacing with a computer is where they suck.

Worry not! Work is underway to liberate the Zune from its inferior software. Someday soon the Zune may run Rockbox.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


EtotheC
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 89

24 Jun 2009, 2:47 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
EtotheC wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Standards are formed then they ignore them.

How can they have the greatest compatibility then?


Because the Zune is the best media device on the market!, didn't you know?


The zunes are actually really nice.

Interfacing with a computer is where they suck.


Fuzzy wrote:
the greatest compatibility


exactly