Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mystagogue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2009, 3:50 pm

So I won a ticket to a two-day concert next weekend :)
Unfortunately no one I know is going. So here's the catch: I'm not used to go to events like that on my own, and it makes me a bit apprehensive. Not that I have a social phobia or so, but I’d really like to seize this opportunity to meet new people and just have a good time without feeling a pressure to act “perfect”. Also, I‘ve always had problems in dealing with unfamiliar things such as going to new places without someone to help me out should I need to. Anyone with the same experience to share? Any suggestions on what to do in order to get as much out of the experience as possible?

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 4:24 pm

I'm the same, I need to go with someone even though I usually drift off to explore and spend most of it on my own.

maybe there's some online forum about the gig where you could get in touch with people who are also going on their own?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 5:02 pm

I ususually don't got to gigs on my own but I have done it before. If you arive at the floor early they may think you are part of the set up crew, but other than that most people could give too hoots :lol:

Finding someone to go a to a gig on line is sort of (albiet indirectly) how I met my friends.

Weird thing is my friend who probably has/had the worst panic attacks out of the three of us, used to go alone to gigs all the time.

I still go with them like today. If you don't have social phobia that will be even better.

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2009, 8:21 pm

I always go to gigs alone cause I don't speak enough to have fun with someone else.

Many peoples don't understand when I tell them that I went to a gig alone.

brothersport
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jun 2009, 11:41 pm

I usually go to gigs alone these days. Years ago, I used to have two buddies that liked the same type of music I did, and we'd go to concerts together. One of them moved out of state awhile back, and the other just doesn't go out anymore. I could probably drag along someone else once in awhile if I wanted to, but they don't like the same music I do, and I never have much interesting to say. I just feel like I'd enjoy the experience best alone than dragging someone along with me just so I didn't have to go alone.

One thing though: I wouldn't count on doing much socializing and meeting of new people by going to gigs alone. I always have this mental image of going out and doing things, socializing, and meeting people -- but usually I just end up standing alone in a crowd, feeling like the distance that separates me from another human being is the Grand Canyon. I do not understand how to make that leap.

Best of luck to you though.

eyelesbarrow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2009, 9:01 am

I go to gigs by myself but its very rare. I only go to a concert if I really really love the band, but otherwise I stay at home. Being alone in a bar/ concert is very painful and awkward for me, I still don't know how to get around to it. I think of it as a sacrifice :) For a lot of people, it is an opportunity to meet new friends but approaching strangers is not exactly my thing.

Mystagogue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2009, 10:05 am

Nice to see lots of interesting replies,

Quote:
I could probably drag along someone else once in awhile if I wanted to, but they don't like the same music I do, and I never have much interesting to say. I just feel like I'd enjoy the experience best alone than dragging someone along with me just so I didn't have to go alone.

Very true, I figure that dragging along someone who actually doesn't appreciate the whole thing would just be awkward and mess up my chances to have a good stay, as well as meeting new people should the opportunity arise

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2009, 1:18 pm

Mystagogue wrote:

Just by curiosity what is the event ?

Mystagogue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2009, 4:45 pm

atxa wrote:
Mystagogue wrote:

Just by curiosity what is the event ?

Metaltown, in Gothenburg, Sweden