Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2009, 12:08 am

I myself am a Christian, but I went to college in the midwest and met some evangelical christians. They told me I had to spread the good news and convert other non-christians. They almost seemed robotic. It is hard for me as an aspie to approach a stranger let alone bring religon into the conversation. How does everyone feel about this?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 12:58 am

bdubs wrote:
I myself am a Christian, but I went to college in the midwest and met some evangelical christians. They told me I had to spread the good news and convert other non-christians. They almost seemed robotic. It is hard for me as an aspie to approach a stranger let alone bring religon into the conversation. How does everyone feel about this?

Why is that attitude any different from that of Islamists anxious to spread their beliefs?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 1:10 am

bdubs wrote:

Quite annoying. I am also a Christian, raised in the Midwest, and don't like the shove-it-down-your-throat style evangelism that a lot of right-wing Christians take. All human beliefs, especially about God, are at best tenuous, and it would be the height of arrogance to try to force your beliefs on others.

@Sand: It isn't.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 1:42 am

bdubs wrote:

Join a ministry at your church or another christian group where you are in a position where you support people going out and evangelizing or a ministry where other people come to you. For example, I help teach a special sunday school class for autistic kids. At another church I ran the sound system. Until you find your special niche, there is nothing wrong with just going to church on sunday and living a life that reflects your beliefs.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 1:44 am

Honestly, one of the things I respect about some religions is their wish to spread their beliefs. Unfortunately, given that Christianity is really well-known in the West (and in the East, for that matter... and other places not catagorized under East or West), it really just ends up being annoying.

The problem with arguing against it is this: If it's your belief that your religion is the "right" religion, then is it really OK to sit around while other people don't follow it, bringing about whatever negative aspects might result from not following the "right" religion?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 1:46 am

Orwell wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Quite annoying. I am also a Christian, raised in the Midwest, and don't like the shove-it-down-your-throat style evangelism that a lot of right-wing Christians take. All human beliefs, especially about God, are at best tenuous, and it would be the height of arrogance to try to force your beliefs on others.

@Sand: It isn't.

Although force and obvious arrogance is more than annoying the motivation that you genuinely believe you can help someone by convincing them of what appears to you as an important truth is not a negative attitude. Any deep belief may have that humane drive. Unfortunately religion touches on an area that underlies basic sensitive paradigms of living.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

21 Jun 2009, 5:17 am

Orwell wrote:
I am also a Christian, raised in the Midwest, and don't like the shove-it-down-your-throat style evangelism that a lot of right-wing Christians take. All human beliefs, especially about God, are at best tenuous, and it would be the height of arrogance to try to force your beliefs on others.

Bravo, and thank you for some sense. Orwell. While I've met other Christians like you (and had no objection to sitting down with them and discussing belief, generally, without either one of us bringing in 'I'm right and you're wrong' overtones), they've unfortunately been in a minority.

Sand, I think the problem with the drive to change people's beliefs is that while it may start out as, and at its root be, altruistic, it involves the assumption that you 'know' people and their desires and needs better than they do themselves. Naturally people find this patronising...especially when their real needs are immediate practical things that someone could do for them, and what they get instead is a bunch of Bible quotes. The most Christian people I've known have helped out first and evangelized later, if at all.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 5:49 am

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Orwell wrote:
I am also a Christian, raised in the Midwest, and don't like the shove-it-down-your-throat style evangelism that a lot of right-wing Christians take. All human beliefs, especially about God, are at best tenuous, and it would be the height of arrogance to try to force your beliefs on others.

Bravo, and thank you for some sense. Orwell. While I've met other Christians like you (and had no objection to sitting down with them and discussing belief, generally, without either one of us bringing in 'I'm right and you're wrong' overtones), they've unfortunately been in a minority.

Sand, I think the problem with the drive to change people's beliefs is that while it may start out as, and at its root be, altruistic, it involves the assumption that you 'know' people and their desires and needs better than they do themselves. Naturally people find this patronising...especially when their real needs are immediate practical things that someone could do for them, and what they get instead is a bunch of Bible quotes. The most Christian people I've known have helped out first and evangelized later, if at all.

I agree that Bible dogma is on a level with Mao's famous little red book but as an atheist I am open to any concerned interest in observable evidence which I can accept as real indication of the basis for theology. So far it hasn't appeared to my satisfaction.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 7:35 am

bdubs wrote:

same.

i don't think it's necessary for salvation. there's different vocations and mine isn't evangelism.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 8:32 am

I'm an atheist and if someone does that to me they better not get too offended when I make fun of what they believe.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 8:34 am

Without doubt, there is a mandate to spread the gospel.

The problem is that many think it is a "cookie cutter" formula for everyone.

Some simply do not have a gift for preaching, teaching, evangelism. It is wrong to try and do something you clearly are not equipped for.

I give money to support those who do have a gift for this. That is my primary contribution. I believe that if a heart is ready to hear and you are the one that God will use, it will be a divine appointment. It is wrong to get hung up on guilt because you don't have much (if any) personal witnessing experience.

All any Christian can do is strive to be the best Christian they know how to be.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 8:39 am

MattShizzle wrote:
I'm an atheist and if someone does that to me they better not get too offended when I make fun of what they believe.

It's not a matter of making fun of the beliefs, it's a matter of looking at them clearly in the light of reason and finding them severely wanting. Religious people might (I am not sure about this) be insulted when you show them how unreasonable and naive many of their accepted beliefs are, even though there is no outright attempt at making them look foolish.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 8:39 am

Orwell wrote:

And downright ill mannered too. Good manners is way more important than morality and religion.

ruveyn

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2009, 12:25 pm

Mostly you want to inform them of the Good news. If they are interested you can tell them more and help bring them to Christ.
Also your actions and values can reflect this as well.

To convert is a personal decision. Its not your job to convert but to inform and show people.
I evangelize over the net a lot and its very hard because over the net all you have is words and can't always reflect action and show them.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w

Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2009, 12:28 pm

bdubs wrote:

Manipulated imbeciles led by sociopaths. Most televangelists and church leaders are certified psychopaths who gain sexual pleasure of having people being subordinated to them. That is obvious. That also accounts for most political leaders.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 12:48 pm

Zyborg wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Manipulated imbeciles led by sociopaths. Most televangelists and church leaders are certified psychopaths who gain sexual pleasure of having people being subordinated to them. That is obvious. That also accounts for most political leaders.

This is fun. It's like reading Weekly World News, but without having to soil my hands with such a purchase.