I got noise cancelling headphones the other day!

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 11:13 pm

I have extreme sensitivities to noise, especially particular sounds, like wrappers crunching, or paper/plasctic bags being moved around, and Leaf blowers/lawn mowers. For example. Our neighbors have gardeners, and so do we. The gardeners come every other week to mow the lawn and stuff. My mom had told them not to use the leaf blower as it hurts me and makes me melt down. But lately they haven't been listening, and for some reason they have been coming on random days, so i've been unprepared. (Usually my mom takes that as an opportunity for us to go grocery shopping.) So my mom bought me some nice sony noise canceling headphones. a little expensive, 40 dollars, but worth it. She said I needed them anyway. They use a triple a battery, and unless a sound is very sudden, and very very loud, I can't hear much when they are on. I have already tried them with some noises, and I'm excited to use them next week when the gardeners are here.

My mom mentioned that a friend of mine who is an aspie has to use headphones. I didn't know that.

Do any of you guys use them? Would it be impolite to use them in public, or say at my Aspie meetings, where things get really loud?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 12:52 am

I got some small in-ear canal ones, industrial grade :lol:
I got them for my previous job, it was SO noisy, they definitely helped with the noise, I was in a small crowded place.
Later everyone wanted to get a pair of earplugs :lol:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 3:32 am

I have a pair; they are awesome. :) I use them on public transport and at large shopping centres.
I don't know if it would be considered rude to use them, but I think that not being in pain is more important than not offending people by something that shouldn't be offensive (I don't see what's rude about wearing them, but some people can find anything rude).

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:47 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
So my mom bought me some nice sony noise canceling headphones.

Well, I didn't know about them before, but I do now!

WOOT!

Thanks, ShadeOfMe! :D

Who_Am_I or computerlove, can you post a link?

(I would really love computerloves "small in-ear canal ones"!)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:50 am

syzygyish wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:
So my mom bought me some nice sony noise canceling headphones.

Well, I didn't know about them before, but I do now!

WOOT!

Thanks, ShadeOfMe! :D

Who_Am_I or computerlove, can you post a link?

(I would really love computerloves "small in-ear canal ones"!)

Mine aren't Sony ones, but I can post a link to the ones I have.

http://www.cnet.com.au/sennheiser-pxc-250-240054027.htm

I bought mine on eBay.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 7:55 am

Who_Am_I wrote:

I bought mine on eBay.

Thanks R.

(but... someone else had their ears in them? eew. :eew: )

joking!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 7:57 am

am not able to cope with noise cancelling gear,so use ultra quiet ear defenders [Peltors best] with soft ear plugs in underneath if needed.
cannot wear anything but earplugs if having to wear the helmet,and cannot wear any ear protection at all if tinnitus has come on as it's like wearing tinnitus amplifiers.

Quote:
don't know if it would be considered rude to use them, but I think that not being in pain is more important than not offending people by something that shouldn't be offensive (I don't see what's rude about wearing them, but some people can find anything rude).

dont know why anyone could think that is offensive?
one way to look at it-people with accute lack of hearing [HoH/HI/deaf] wear hearing aids,so people on the accute opposite end of the hearing spectrum should also have their needs respected to [as if that will ever happen though].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 8:02 am

syzygyish wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

I bought mine on eBay.

Thanks R.

(but... someone else had their ears in them? eew. :eew: )

joking!

No, they were from an online store trading through eBay, so they were new. :) In sealed packaging.

Quote:
Quote:
don't know if it would be considered rude to use them, but I think that not being in pain is more important than not offending people by something that shouldn't be offensive (I don't see what's rude about wearing them, but some people can find anything rude).

dont know why anyone could think that is offensive?

Because if you have headphones on, you are blocking people out, and a lot of people think it's rude not to give one's undivided attention to any humans who happen to be in one's vicinity. Personally, I think that anyone who thinks that everyone surrounding them should pay attention to them and find them the most fascinating thing in their enviroment shows a massively over-inflated sense of entitlement...

Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 8:29 am

I love noise canceling headphones.
They're the best. I got a pair (from JVC : http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HANC100-Noi ... 272&sr=8-5 ) so I could listen to my audiobooks/courses/music on the train (without it being interrupted by the sound the train makes/screaming children/people who talk loud on their cellphones etc. *shudders*).
And yes, they're very useful for just canceling out outside noise:)

Though I broke mine some time ago, and now I'm saving up for a pretty expensive pair (though I keep spending that money on yarn/knitting stuff/games these days :oops: ).

I'm looking for noise canceling or DJ headphones that have a detachable chord ... as I always get the cable stuck on something/someone (which then gets damaged = my headphones 'dieing' sooner than I'd want to)

Saspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2009, 8:40 am

I used my first pair of noise cancelling headphones tonight. I wish I had tried these earlier. I found them truly excellent.

I wear my headphones nearly all of the time when I am out in public and often at work when people are talking. I have been told it is rude to conduct business such as buying things from stores or talking to peoplewith headphones in (even when the music is turned off), so I take them out when these things occur.

sqoouf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2009, 9:41 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
So my mom bought me some nice sony noise canceling headphones. a little expensive, 40 dollars, but worth it.

Ooh...Which ones did you get? I've been looking for some active noise cancelling headphones, because I want a really good pair.

I've got a pair of Passive Noise Cancelling In-Ear Headphones, Sennheiser CX300 (Originals 8O ), and they're alright, but i'm looking for something with a bit more "cancelling power"!
For anybody in the UK looking for good and cheap in-ears with active... see page 683 of the tesco direct catalogue, 1st row seccond column.

Oh, BTW Active uses battery and mic, whilst passive are just like earplugs.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 11:11 am

Sadly I don't have them but I really would like to have some. Because I can't cope with shouting (it's something I can't handle, no matter if I'm the one being yelled at or not) and noise cancelling headphones would help me get rid of the stress, they would be very helpful in classrooms where the noise is stressful.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 11:20 am

Wouldn't you look a bit a bit daft if you went around wearing big chunky headphones? Or do you just plug them into your ipods so it doesn't look as strange.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 12:15 pm

I've never tried them. I might do so if I start going out more. I currently use foam earplugs if I'm out for a while in a noisy environment.

I wear ear defenders indoors when the outdoor noise is too much (such as that generated by pub revellers or chainsaws.)

willa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 12:28 pm

I've bought a few pairs of the ones that are around $40-50. They are nice, but I break headphones on the rate of one every other month. I dont know what I do, i just always break them.

Around the holiday season i was in a Bose store and tried on a pair of the ones theysell for $200+. Holy hell are they nice and worth every penny of it. There is no comparing those $50 ones they sell at Best Buy and your regular electronic store. The quality of sound and how insanely quiet they are are on a whole level you can not compare to.

If I wasnt so abusive with headphones I would absolutely spend hundreds of dollars on them.

sqoouf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2009, 1:24 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Wouldn't you look a bit a bit daft if you went around wearing big chunky headphones?

Yes. :lol:
Or you could get youself some in-ear noise cancelling headphones like I've got.
If you want some Active Noise Cancelling Headphones, get the "Philips SHN2500" Headphones - They block out 70% of all noise, when not even plugged into an ipod.
Or, you could get some Passive Noise Cancelling Headphones, "Sennheiser CX300" -they're not powered, but they still do a good enough job.
I would post some links, but i'm not allowed to yet, so please google them.
Also - If you are buying headphones, PLEASE look out for fakes, because it's ever so easy to get caught out! I always buy from the "Official Stockist" nominated by the manufacterer.