Can one grow out of Asperger's / autism?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2013, 12:33 pm

A lot of kids who 'flew under the radar' as undiagnosed mild Asperger's turn up with depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder as adults. Then they figure out it's been autism all along.

A lot of kids who were proclaimed 'cured' through ABA also come back as bipolar, schizophrenic and the like as adults, or burn out with fibromyalgia and other complaints, and then eventually they figure out it's been the autism coming back with a vengeance.

For example I've learned to 'pass' as NT from time to time, when it's necessary (like a job interview) but my abilities for passing and whatnot have gone down from when I was younger, because of the stress of doing so and lowered energy levels. Right now I can't pass successfully and people can tell that something's up. Then I've got to rest and go nonverbal to recover.

msrockymthigh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2013, 8:58 pm

I don't think you grow out of it. I think you learn from people along the way and you adapt. Or you have people like my mother who was very patient with when I was younger and pushed me along. That being said, one thing I did use to do when I was young was rock myself to sleep and that I did grow out of because I don't do it any more.