Ideas/help for highly academic but isolated/awkward teen boy

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Bocamom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jun 2009, 10:07 am

Looking for others who can relate and share support/possible solutions regarding my Aspie son. He's HIGHLY gifted academically, almost 16, will continue science magnet program in 10th grade (4 AP classes), above-average looks, perfect speech patterns — but terribly socially isolated. While he claims it's by choice, he's lamented his situation on occasion, and moreover, has stated his desire for a girlfriend for more than a year. I don't see that happening any time soon (nor does he, realistically :( ) since he doesn't communicate with virtually ANY peers outside of school, at best maybe a couple of rotating pals, if that. Typical of AS, he's exceptionally awkward -- and/or just appears disconnected -- when he does enter social situations. At home, he's a pleasant, low-key kid who has zero interest in e-mailing, texting or phoning anyone. Every interest, from computers to reading, science, building, political humor, comedy, and educational television, he pursues solo. Obviously, the days of mom arranging play dates are long over. (Many former chums are now outgoing teens who’ve drifted away from my son.) He can be warm and engaging with some family members and others -- mostly adults or younger kids -- so he seems to "have it in him" IF he feels a total comfort level. He plans to join several clubs at school next term (mostly academic and community service), but even in small student groups involving common interests, he appears truly lost socially. I haven't found any like situations in the Boca (FL) area, just one Asperger's group that drew mostly teens with learning/behavioral disorders. I'm assuming he'll find a niche in college (hopefully by graduate school!! ! :!: ), but we have 3 years to go. Three years to help and prepare this sweet young man! Again, I'd love to network with others in similar situations -- parents, older Aspie students themselves, or anyone who knows this type of teen-ager. :)

Kyle_Kalideos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2009, 11:56 am

Sounds like me alright but your son seems more ambiguous. You should show him that your extremely proud for pursuing any clubs especially community service oriented ones. As for the girlfriend thing well its never fun to go through that.

Im sorry I meant to say he was more ambitious then me. oops.