Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 2:41 pm

I taught myself to read at age 4 and that's what kept me sane through childhood. Instead of playing dolls with other little girls, I read. Constantly. Luckily for me my mom's a librarian so I had a steady supply of books. I think I learned a lot about NT's from reading. Anybody else love to read, and think they'd rather curl up with a good book than do just about anything else?

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2006, 2:49 pm

Yes, I read till my eyes are sore.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 2:53 pm

Absolutely. I taught myself to read around 3 or 4, and I've been reading ever since. I read whenever I can, even when I ought to be doing something else, like math homework. Now, if my math homework could include reading about Fibonacci or Pythagoras or anything about math instead of sitting there answering silly equations, I'd probably be in a much better situation academically.

It is a constant source of bewilderment for my coworkers when I tell them I pretty much read. That's about it. Books are my best friends.

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Jan 2006, 2:56 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Absolutely. I taught myself to read around 3 or 4, and I've been reading ever since. I read whenever I can, even when I ought to be doing something else, like math homework. Now, if my math homework could include reading about Fibonacci or Pythagoras or anything about math instead of sitting there answering silly equations, I'd probably be in a much better situation academically.

It is a constant source of bewilderment for my coworkers when I tell them I pretty much read. That's about it. Books are my best friends.

Heh, I feel the same way.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 3:34 pm

aylissa wrote:
...rather curl up with a good book than do just about anything else?

Absolutely. I have books everywhere, and read voraciously.
Adams to Zelazny, Genesis to Dawkins and Hawking, fantasy to history.
Oh, and almost everything ever done by Rowland Emett.

When challenged that my human relationship skills needed improving,
my reflex was to go and get a book on it. ( I did, too.)

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 3:47 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Books are my best friends.

I have a prized mug by that wonderful cartoonist Sandra Boynton

"A book is a friend"

http://dragonfire1.50megs.com/Boynton/mugs01.htm

But then her book "Chocolate: the consuming passion" is fun, too.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 3:55 pm

I read books that give me information, like phone books, atlases, dictionaries, encyclopedias and almanacs.

In fact, when I was living with my mother, I used to read the phone book all the time.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 4:09 pm

Yes,it is.

-SpaceCase :)

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 6:25 am

YES! I love reading. When everything gets too much you can just sit down with a book and forget it ever happened.
I can't wait til I move out because I'm going to have a library in my house even if it's just a bedroom filled to the ceiling with books and a chair. :D

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2006, 7:04 am

I find myself typically reading things like wikipedia (online encyclopedia) for infomation, monthly music mags such as Mojo or Uncut, among the ocassional fictional book.

Top Five Favourite Fictional Books:

1. Catcther In The Rye - Jerome David Salinger

2. A Picture Of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

3. High Fidelity - Nick Hornby

4. About A Boy - Nick Hornby

5. The Buddha of Suburbia - Hanif Kureishi

I intially had trouble reading to the expected level- however I over came this by not reading the assigned books.

Last edited by ramsamsam on 19 Jan 2006, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2006, 7:40 am

Oh, definately! I've been reading since 2, and even though I know that my teachers don't like me to, I have a habit of reading books long before we read them in school. 1984, for example, I read 2 years back, we're studying it next year.

Reading really is a good thing for me, especially when it's books I like. Mostly Carl Hiassen books, J.K. Rowling, Douglas Adams. Ray Bradbury is one of my favorites, I don't know if you've ever read "The Martian Chronicles," that book affected me big time, especially the chapter where he describes the decimated city in Northern California. I also like utopia-type novels, such as Brave New World and, obviously, Utopia.

There are also those books that you find and they sound interesting, but that author never shows up again. I read one book last summer called "The Adventures of the Blue Avenger," which sounds very simple and kiddy, but it's a very thick book, very deep, very mature, and it explains how an author of something can be sucked in by their own work. The story explains how a guy with mild autism is troubled so much by his own life that he begins to draw little comics and write little stories about a hero called The Blue Avenger, and after a while, he begins to lose contact with the real world as he falls into the world he created and eventually, thinks he himself is The Blue Avenger. It really goes into the mind of an author, and that hits me personally because I write A LOT and I know how it feels to fall into your own world.

Fiat_Lux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2006, 8:26 am

Definitely. Reading a good book is preferable to watching the television. When I was growing up, I realised that I did not think in the same way as my classmates. I thought that reading would give me the insight to understand the motivation and behaviour of the people around me.
I’m currently reading ‘The Magus’ by John Fowles.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2006, 9:01 am

^Yeah, especially today in the day of bad television, it's good to, instead of doing constant channel surfing, curl up and read a good novel. Hell, you could even listen to a book, or a radio show, or a podcast (often times, when I have nothing to read, I wind up catching up to gaming news on podcasts or I listen to backlogs of The Onion Podcasts, always fun), it's healthier than TV.

Actually, most of the time now I'm not watching TV, but I'm reading blogs and/or writing on my own. Blogs are still reading, though some may consider them not to be, most are like online newspapers, and at least you're reading, you know?

I personally don't understand why some schools (like mine) ban certain reading material (MAD Magazine, gaming magazines, etc.) because it's not like it's harmful, you're still reading, only you're reading something that interests you and makes you actually WANT to read, and in taking away a student's right to read these magazines, you're taking away their want to read, which is pretty much the opposite of their goal.

venom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2006, 9:40 am

I think the idea is that the vocabulary is limited and the subject matter isn't really challenging..in primary school whenever we had 'library class' we had a limit to one comic book. (eg Tintin, Asterix) On a related note my local library does lots for the local kids- has lots of graphic novels and manga, had (before it was stolen) a playstation 2, a seperate room for all kids books.

And yes I was an avid reader as a kid, I should get back into the habit.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 11:16 am

Roybertito wrote:
1984, for example, I read 2 years back, we're studying it next year.

Same here, and the stupid thing is my AP English teacher made me take an oath (right hand raised, left hand atop 1984 as if it were the Bible and I were in court) in front of the whole class not to discuss the book with any of my classmates anywhere but in the classroom (as if I discussed anything with my classmates anyway.) :roll:

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 1:18 pm

Nope, I never liked reading. Nomatter what it was. Between ages 9-13 I had the concept hammered into my head that its good to read, and yada yada. And I made several attempts (OUTSIDE of school) to discover the joy of reading. But I never could. And I still don't.