Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Enki76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm

If I recall correctly, a site called Aspergia once was home to this community. The basic premise of this site seemed to be a sort of virtual "promised land" for those on the spectrum. I've been thinking about this for some time; what would a society comprising entirely of autistics be like? How would it work? How would the other nations of the world respond; how would it respond to the other nations?

The prologue would open up in the aftermath of a world war; in some undetermined point in the future, the United States had fell under a fascist regime. This regime came to power much in the way the Nazis did; promising economic prosperity, and eliminating a hated enemy of the people: the mentally ill, autistics in particular. You see, much like how Jews are implicated in controlling world finance in racist rhetoric, those with autism were seen as holding some sort of hegemony over science and technology. This irrational fear led to the Mental Illness Registration Act, which required that anyone diagnosed with anything to make all private information available to the public; that way "our American families can know if their neighborhoods are safe." Employers were required to, when choosing between an NT applicant and an autistic one, to always choose the NT one regardless of qualifications. Then, organized by illness, those registered with MIRA were relocated to "special communities". Fortunately, the United Nations and European Union would have none of it; within six years, the fascist regime was toppled by EU forces.

Those who survived the camps, much like the Jewish people before them, made the same vow: never again. With the aide of the UN and EU, they managed to secure a treaty that would permit them to settle in Antarctica. What followed was a marvel of engineering and science; domed cities designed specifically to meet the sensory needs of its inhabitants, its internal climate perfectly controlled; they harnassed the geothermal power of Antarctica's volcanic activity; and help build the infrastructure needed to support the medical needs of its inhabitants. Thusly Aspergia (I'll think of a better name) was born.

For a time, they were an obscure nation supported with EU aid; but, as the years went on, their economy grew to the point of self-sufficency...then beyond that. At its apex, Aspergia became an international superpower...

Don't be mistaken, this is not going to support the ubermench attitude that we have become notorious for. The basic theme of this story is "Human After All"; Aspergia would not be this great utopia, nor some terrible dystopia. Over the course of it's history, Aspergia would be the source of much good in the world...as well as evil. I think it would take the form of an anthology of stories set in this nation, and in the nations affected by them.

I might even post some setting information, to give you an idea of what this nation would be like.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 4:02 am

Hi Enki76-
I think this is a fantastic idea!! Just from reading this post, I can tell you have a telent for writing. The story is engaging. I got goosebumps reading your synopsis. (until the int'l superpower part. Sorry but I just wanted Aspergia to be a peaceful nation that would never, ever be at war.)
Some of my favorite books (non-sci-fi) are Diary of Anne Frank, Exodus, Maus (graphic novel/ Holocaust). Also made me think of 1984, The Jungle and Norma Rae (Sally Field movie) for some reason.
Also, "Employers were required to, when choosing between an NT applicant and an autistic one, to always choose the NT one regardless of qualifications" is basically reality now except in hich-tech and science fields. We flub interviews, etc...
This sounds like a lot of criticism, but if I didn't absolutely love your idea and find it incredibly engaging, I either wouldn't have any suggestions or wouldn't bother to even say anything.
Wishing you all the best.

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2009, 4:08 am

Fascinating. Truly fascinating.

Geothermal power I'm a bit iffy on. AFAIK, Antarctica has no volcano's due to tectonic stability. A potential idea would be cold fusion, solar, nuclear (Nuclear is highly approved especially fusion. Antarctica has deposits of every element AFAIK).

Domed cities sounds quite similiar to arcologies.

What about body modifications? Genetics? Cybernetics? Would there be any of this? For instance...if an aspie cannot communicate via words, what better way than to "plug in" to something and download their thoughts onto a screen? I ask because I can't see Autistics allowing morals to stop them in the advance of technology.

Trade is another big thing. What would they export and import? Weapons could be a big thing since Antarctica is a massive testing ground for heat-intensive weapons. Failing that...Genetic Modification technology, computer tech, cybernetics...

Would the domes be organized in accordance with autism severity? With technological dependance varying?

Also...what would be stopping America or the other countries from taking over? How do they defend themselves from sanctions, war, etc etc?

It'd be a nice idea if you called the mass migration of Autistics to Antarctica the "Exodus" to parallel the same thing in the Bible. A group of people, hated and used by their overlords breaking free to settle in a wasteland.

How far technologically advanced would this society be called? Would they be socially backwards or a hive-mind?

that's actually another idea. A communal awareness beyond the physical. Not psychic but say...a chip in their brain that transmits their emotions into a web for others to sense. So nothing can be hidden and trust is absolute. Would also serve to help locate interlopers.

As for the war...as racist as it may sound, America/ Britain launches an assault on the entirety of the Middle East after deciding peace is impossible. Ergo, after the idea of terrorist cells, America hates the idea of that which is different and hidden. That which cannot be understood.

This'd also call into question psychologist's/ psychiatrist's and their confidentiality clauses. Would they be forced to report anyway?

Another thing...who would supply them with the raw materials to settle Antarctica? I'm not criticising, I adore this idea. Would the Un and EU really help them all that much at the risk of alienating America? Maybe just shipping them there with the basic necessities for life, monthly food drops...

As for defences...utilising the magnetic fields to screw up all forms of navigation for people that assault them? So essentially they become the "Antarctic triangle" of sorts, unable to be detected or observed except for the theoretical weapon tests.

And Antarctica truly could become a massive stronghold. The ice extends so very deep, down into the Trans-Antarctic mountains so it doesn't just have to be on the surface. Hell, that deep could be food growing/ cattle rearing, etc. Hollow out a massive area, hook up UV and other sources of artificial sunlight...grow everything you need.

Just ideas! :D

Also raises the interesting question of morals, ethics and etc in that kind of society. Plus education. How would they be educated? Via direct neural uplink or slow teaching?

The Antarctic Republic of Autism could be a potential name. Land of Gifts, Haven...don't need to utilise one facet of Autism to describe the society.

What about children too? If an NT is born to a couple living in Aspergia, are they sent away before imprinting or are they kept there?

Regards
GM

Enki76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2009, 1:58 pm

Gifted-Monster wrote:
Geothermal power I'm a bit iffy on. AFAIK, Antarctica has no volcano's due to tectonic stability. A potential idea would be cold fusion, solar, nuclear (Nuclear is highly approved especially fusion. Antarctica has deposits of every element AFAIK).
If I recall correctly, there is one active volcano on the continent.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
Domed cities sounds quite similiar to arcologies.
Arcologies might be built later on.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
What about body modifications? Genetics? Cybernetics? Would there be any of this? For instance...if an aspie cannot communicate via words, what better way than to "plug in" to something and download their thoughts onto a screen? I ask because I can't see Autistics allowing morals to stop them in the advance of technology.
Good ideas; their medical and communication industries would develop such techologies.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
Trade is another big thing. What would they export and import? Weapons could be a big thing since Antarctica is a massive testing ground for heat-intensive weapons. Failing that...Genetic Modification technology, computer tech, cybernetics...
Over the years they would become a major industrial, financial, and information center of the world; the imports consisting almost entirely of food, though electronic parts and other equipment would be welcome there. No tarriffs on imported goods-they don't believe in economic protectionism.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
Would the domes be organized in accordance with autism severity? With technological dependance varying?
No, the domes would be pretty uniform; education and therapy would help increase functioning levels in its citizens.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
Also...what would be stopping America or the other countries from taking over? How do they defend themselves from sanctions, war, etc etc?
Obscurity and EU protection at first, then military strength; economic superiority; and growing clout in the UN.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
It'd be a nice idea if you called the mass migration of Autistics to Antarctica the "Exodus" to parallel the same thing in the Bible. A group of people, hated and used by their overlords breaking free to settle in a wasteland.
Great minds think alike; it would be called as such in their history books.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
How far technologically advanced would this society be called? Would they be socially backwards or a hive-mind?
I'm insulted by the idea you would consider a "hive-mind" to be a mark of advancement.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
that's actually another idea. A communal awareness beyond the physical. Not psychic but say...a chip in their brain that transmits their emotions into a web for others to sense. So nothing can be hidden and trust is absolute. Would also serve to help locate interlopers.
Wouldn't take place; privacy of thought held in high esteem in The Antarctic Republic.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
As for the war...as racist as it may sound, America/ Britain launches an assault on the entirety of the Middle East after deciding peace is impossible. Ergo, after the idea of terrorist cells, America hates the idea of that which is different and hidden. That which cannot be understood.

Wars with the rest of the world don't occur until the middle of the nation's history; and it wouldn't always be against America or Britain. During the war, in fact, Britain broke ties with the US and accepted refugees.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
This'd also call into question psychologist's/ psychiatrist's and their confidentiality clauses. Would they be forced to report anyway?
This would be a mixed bag; some gleefully cooperate, others defy MIRA. Those that defy MIRA are assumed to "be one of them" and thrown in the camps like the rest.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
Another thing...who would supply them with the raw materials to settle Antarctica? I'm not criticising, I adore this idea. Would the Un and EU really help them all that much at the risk of alienating America? Maybe just shipping them there with the basic necessities for life, monthly food drops...

America would be completely disgraced; they lose their position on the Security Council, their voice counting for naught. America, in my story, would have completely fallen from grace. They would care no more about alienating America than they would for some island republic in the Pacific. Furthermore, the war left thier defense and civilian infrastructure in shambles; decades would pass before either become restored.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
As for defences...utilising the magnetic fields to screw up all forms of navigation for people that assault them? So essentially they become the "Antarctic triangle" of sorts, unable to be detected or observed except for the theoretical weapon tests.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
And Antarctica truly could become a massive stronghold. The ice extends so very deep, down into the Trans-Antarctic mountains so it doesn't just have to be on the surface. Hell, that deep could be food growing/ cattle rearing, etc. Hollow out a massive area, hook up UV and other sources of artificial sunlight...grow everything you need.

Food would be among their imports.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
Also raises the interesting question of morals, ethics and etc in that kind of society. Plus education. How would they be educated? Via direct neural uplink or slow teaching?

Neural uplink will not figure heavily into the story; maybe a brief mention in the later parts of the nation's history as an area in theoretical stages, but not actually implemented. The actual education system is complex; I'll develop it later. Morals and ethics basically boil down to "Respect the rights of others". "Don't kill or steal" "Nobody is above the law, not even those who write them." They also don't provide diplomatic immunity for ambassadors or tourists.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
The Antarctic Republic of Autism could be a potential name. Land of Gifts, Haven...don't need to utilise one facet of Autism to describe the society.

"The Antarctic Republic" is just fine.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
What about children too? If an NT is born to a couple living in Aspergia, are they sent away before imprinting or are they kept there?

It's a liberal republic; they don't violate human rights of parents. As long as the child is cared for and not abused, the state would not interfere.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 3:54 am

Are you writing this story just for yourself or will you post it here? Or will you try to publish it? I’d love to read an anthology like that. You have some fascinating ideas.
I’m particularly interested in knowing how they would be a ”source of much good in the world...as well as evil.” I can easily imagine that they would contribute in terms of technology and art, but what kind of evil do you see them commit?

How do they view themselves? Superior or victims? Disabled or neurologically different?

I can’t imagine that many of them would be religious. How would they view religion and religious people? Would these be seen as mentally ill or would they be accepted?

What kind of laws would they have? What would be illegal in Aspergia? How would they deal with crime?

Do you have any thoughts on how ”education and therapy will increase function levels”? Will they be forced to stop stimming and make eye contact for instance?

I for one find it next to impossible to concentrate around others because even the most insignificant sound interrupts my process and make me lose track (at least until I get really into it and go to hyperfocus mode). Do you see them overcoming such problems?

Do you see them having a normal society structure (most people pair up and have children), or would the population surplus it needs to become a super power come from immigration of peers? Would they take on minors as refugees as long as they were autistic? Would other countries send them their autistic citizens or even force these to leave their original homeland?
Would Aspergia be a country for people with Aspergers and possibly PDD-NOS and HFA, or would they also encourage/allow MFA and LFA? Would NTs be allowed to settle there if they wished? If so, how would they be viewed?

Would they be a day time society or would people be allowed to follow their own rhythm?

Why do they settle in Antarctica, by the way? Wouldn’t that break all international preservation laws?

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2009, 8:06 am

Sending Enki ideas, no reply yet.

Would love one /hint

Antarctica would break preservation laws...except I'd imagine Autistics from every nation would come. Ergo, every nation is represented. And they aren't settling there as a nation of one people, they are settling as one nation of many people.

As for how they'd be a source of much good and evil...they'd provide technology but I can't see them being heedful of morals. So they'd plough through every single convention against experimentation. Cloning, etc etc. So they'd grant technology...but wouldn't oversee its usage. Like giving a loaded pistol to a child.

I could see, in my humble eyes, the people of the Antarctic Republic feeling slightly superior but not overwhelmingly arrogant since they have such a dangerous past.

I could see ther people of TAR seeing themselves as Gifted or at least blessed. They are logical, smart...

Bionics would allow for a great deal of freedom. Audiotory problems? Just turn your ears off. Sight sensitivity? Scale down the receptivity of your eyes towards that one spectrum.

And Antarctica also makes a kind of ironic sense. We'd be seen as ice cold, frigid people. So we're sent to the most frigid place.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 8:27 am

Is this a world building project, sort of? If it is, then I'd like to write a story or two for an anthology.

I can't imagine them being critical of morals, anymore than most people are. If they've been persecuted, are they really going to persecute, or allow persecution, anymore?

If you're trying to make it realistic, don't count on the EU. Maybe China, India, or even Australia. Perhaps Russia. You could even have the fledgling nation perfoming massive cyber attacks, if some got out before it turned fascist.

Where's Alaska's place in your idea? Gulags?

Then strikes from neighburing Russia...

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 5:04 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Do you see them having a normal society structure (most people pair up and have children), or would the population surplus it needs to become a super power come from immigration of peers? Would they take on minors as refugees as long as they were autistic? Would other countries send them their autistic citizens or even force these to leave their original homeland?

Sounds just like the Deaf community.

Skilpadde wrote:
Would they be a day time society or would people be allowed to follow their own rhythm?

Oh, now that would be nice! And in Antarctica, that would be so intuitive, seasonal light being what it is there. In the Alaskan Native cultures that is what basically happens, I understand.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 1:35 pm

Thank you for your feedback, Gifted-Monster. It seems that Enki has taken a break from his sci-fi story post…

So their evil would be likely to be indirective, like Einstein helped developing the atomic bomb…

Oh bionics! I didn’t think of that solution to sensory issues. Nice idea. Bionics could make a huge difference. I wish they were available now...

Enki76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jun 2009, 2:08 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Thank you for your feedback, Gifted-Monster. It seems that Enki has taken a break from his sci-fi story post…

So their evil would be likely to be indirective, like Einstein helped developing the atomic bomb…

Oh bionics! I didn’t think of that solution to sensory issues. Nice idea. Bionics could make a huge difference. I wish they were available now...

First of all, I have a lot going on in my life right now; pretty much everything is on hold for a while.

Second, there would be some direct evil; I have noticed a certain arrogance among some here who view Asperger's as some sort of condition superior to the rest of humanity. I extrapolate from that to include a particular subset of members in that society; they, sharing this sense of superiority, would push for imperialistic policies against the NT world. Why? Because they would view NTs as savages in need of civilizing; much like in Scramble for Africa, this time would be a dark one in the Antarctic Republic's history.

It would emerge as TARs' credit rating continued to rise...while nearly every other developed nation's rating would continue to fall. At a certain point, many global currencies lost all value; one or two would actually have a negative value. Thus, they justified their actions on the grounds it would rescue their economies. In brief, humans are capable of good and evil; including us.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 1:29 am

I like this philosophical aspect. That's what makes great sci-fi in my opinion (not the "all action" stuff).

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 7:08 am

I suggest that you read about Atlas Shrugged, which has vaguely similar themes. I don't suggest that you read it, except maybe perhaps in small doses, as it was the most boring piece of crap that I had ever read.

On sabbatical...

Enki76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jun 2009, 9:15 am

Quatermass wrote:
I suggest that you read about Atlas Shrugged, which has vaguely similar themes. I don't suggest that you read it, except maybe perhaps in small doses, as it was the most boring piece of crap that I had ever read.

I have it, it's not what I'm going for. Its' vaguely similar, but not the same approach; not every member of the Antarctic Republic would be a big mover and shaker back home; most are simply people looking for a better life.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 6:25 pm

Enki76 wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

I have it, it's not what I'm going for. Its' vaguely similar, but not the same approach; not every member of the Antarctic Republic would be a big mover and shaker back home; most are simply people looking for a better life.

My bad, but I was talking about the isolation of, in some cases, the best characters in society after 'persecution'. Look up the plot of BioShock, and also try reading, or else reading about the book Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.

On sabbatical...

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 11:11 pm

It's seem interessing.

How about the management? With the low functionning processing it could be problematic. Do they gonna be assisted with computers? (Because of asperger I have difficulty to manage my own life, so a whole country...) I guess such acountry will need a lot of robots and automatic systems, like to clean up rooms and home delivery for avoiding crowd. Such a massive use of technology could also be among the reasons why they get a edge on it compared to other nations. I guess car will be quite silents too.
How they gonna handle global warming? The melting of the ice could end up to be dangerous, particulary if they digging it up to access ressources. Would they do some amazing discovery hiding under the ice? You could always write about the discovery of the prehistoric flora under it, to showing up your knowledge about plants. And if they do digging up the ice, how are they gonna handle the huge pressure?
What about space debris? Will it stil possible to use satellites? If not it will be easy to "hide" thing.

Enki76 wrote:
At a certain point, many global currencies lost all value; one or two would actually have a negative value.

Is such a thing possible? Currencies can lost a lot of value like the post first world war germany where people burned money at it was less costly that other way of heating, or more recently with Zimbabwe and his 100 trillion$ bills. But I don't see how a negative value can be possible. (then again I don't know that much about economy.)
Can geothermy will really be enough as a energy source? They could also use solar energy during summer, with installations that can extract UV along with the visible light. (The lack of ozone layer would make that interessing.) And highly resitants wind plants during summer, but especially during winter when the winds are strongs.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 11:22 pm

Also, about the name, why not "Arcadia"? Which generally mean Utopia.