more joy in human company or solitude?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 12:44 am

Do you find that you experience more joy in the company of others or by yourself? I'm sure that people need other people to some extent but I find that the hassle and misunderstandings that come from interacting with others cancels out the good times as opposed to when I'm alone.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 3:49 am

I enjoy solitude, but there are times when I feel lonely and want to be in the company of others.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 3:49 am

For me, it depends on the situation and the people in question.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 4:18 am

I enjoy solitude. :)

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 4:23 am

I don't seek out company or purposely isolate myself. I suppose i don't really care either way.

Radioactive
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2009, 5:00 am

Michjo wrote:
I don't seek out company or purposely isolate myself. I suppose i don't really care either way.

I guess you could say the same for me. Or you could say "it depends on the circumstances."

There's times when I'm quite happy being all by myself. On the odd occasion that I go away on a business trip, I try and add a couple of days extra in there as annual leave days to go exploring, especially if it's to somewhere I've never been before.

I think it's great just wandering around an unfamiliar city by myself, seeing what I can discover. I don't feel I "need" to be with anyone at those times.

Same goes with when I'm at home. I'm quite content to just sit on the computer and converse with people online, or curl up and read a book.

But at other times I feel the need for interaction with others... Spend a night at a mate's place drinking refreshing beverages, or go out for lunch with someone, that kind of thing.

So for me it's "a bit of this and a bit of that" I guess.

Ruchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2009, 5:43 pm

I enjoy being bymyself and staying indoors a lot i don't like being around people at all.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 7:14 pm

I'm solitary.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

26 Jun 2009, 11:28 pm

Being in the company of others is stressful but being in solitude for long periods of time is really lonely. I'm stuck in the middle, I don't get joy from either.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 1:11 am

It very much depends on the people, the activity, and several other factors.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 2:52 am

I think a lot of extroverted people can't stand being alone. It drives them nuts.

I wouldn't like to be a hermit and not see anyone for years but I like being alone to think and recharge my social batteries.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 3:41 am

The past couple of years I've been mostly solitary. I've arrived at the point where I think it would be good for me if I can interact with peers in university next year. Interaction with my colleagues at work, where I've been since February this year, has been fairly good so far, but it also reminds me that I don't have much of a social life outside of work, and it feels as if I've grown estranged from most of my relatives. I think it would engage and develop me very much if I could speak to others again in a non-'professional', friendly way, and exchange thoughts with them. I'm preparing myself to open myself to potential friendships. I think school will be the portal to this, as it had been in the past.

When I wasn't feeling as lonely as I do now, when I had friends in school and good relations with my cousins, I often needed and appreciated solitude, and I actually kept friends at bay a little. I think it was very much as what a lot of people in this thread have said: whether I preferred solitude or company, depended on how I felt, and also on the people themselves.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 8:30 pm

I love solitude. I'm only able to really relax when I'm alone in my room. Humans are social animals, so I do need to be around people to an extent. If I was completely isolated for a long time I'd probably get sick of that. But in general I don't enjoy being around people. Even when it's not so bad, like when I'm with my family, I'm still happier when I'm by myself.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 9:01 pm

Depends but contrary to what most people assume of me, I really do enjoy the company of people. Most of my social retardation and need for space is what usually drives them away /:

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 6:28 pm

I don't mind being around others, but given the choice I much prefer my own company to interacting with other people.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 8:40 pm

I feel ronery. <.< But when i see how stupid people can be, it's not that bad.