Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Xinae
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2009, 10:38 am

So my son, who's 4.5, and I were watchinig the last 10 minutes of a horror movie on Showtime. It was one of those types of movies where there's no blood or slashing, just people being grabbed and alot left up to your imagination. He saw the main character get grabbed by the monsters and he asked me what they were, I told him that I didn't know exactly what they were but that they were monsters, he's the type that needs to know EXACTLY what things are or he'll pester you til you tell him. After the show was over he said he wanted to see another show like that,

Me: You want to see another scary show?? I thought you didn't like scary shows.
Him: Mom, monsters aren't real!
Me: Monsters aren't real?
Him: No mom, monsters aren't real, there's just bad men.
Me: So men are the real monsters?
Him: No mom, monsters aren't real.

This is at 4 y/o, such a philisophical conversation. I think I have my work cut out for me. :oops:

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 11:31 am

He sounds like a bright little guy. :)

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 11:34 am

I won't tell you there's no monster 'neath your bed,
I won't sell you that it's all in your head,
This world of ours is not as it seems,
There are monsters indeed, but they're not in your dreams,
So learn what you can from the beasts you defeat,
You'll need it for some of the people you meet...

- Voltaire, "Goodnight Demonslayer" (one of my son's favorite lullabies!)

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 11:51 am

I just hope my child is like that if and when I finally decide to have one! :heart:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 1:51 pm

Smart kid. Be glad having him will be interesting :D.

tiffofdoom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2009, 2:05 pm

Lol. My 7yr old daughter gets SO perturbed over the "monster" issue. She's quite sensible, you see, and cannot BEAR hearing any nonsense about monsters. Which, naturally, gives me cause to tease her, as much as possible. I mean, this child will argue herself blue in the face, at the very SUGGESTION that monsters are real, lmao.

The other night, I swore to her that all of her dolls came to life while she slept, and moved around the room. She didn't let up over that, for a good hour. :D

She's just far, far too rigid about this sort of thing (and well...every sort of thing, heh), so we like to shake up her thinking, now and then. And while she's excellent at arguments, Mom has been doing it SO much longer, that I take great pleasure in occasionally ruining all her Good Logical Sense.
We've got her watching The History Channel's "MonsterQuest" now, ever so often, and she's just horrified to see any evidence that such things could be true, much less entire teams of intelligent adults, hunting for Monsters. It's not that she's scared of monsters, more that she just HATES the "silliness" of it all. :P

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2009, 4:14 pm

Sounds like a natural for a skeptics association, have you considered introducing her? The mental exercise is good.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 7:40 am

When I was a kid I went completely around the bend if I saw a horror show or read a scary comic book.

No kidding! It put me into a mental hospital at the age of seven.

My daughter wasn't scared of anything until at the age of nine she saw that movie about the monster clown who killed people.

After that she was afraid of the dark.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 1:35 pm

This is just another reason why you should never underestimate the intelligence of children with Asperger's Syndrome. We 'get' things on a very deep level, and you should consider taking advantage of that when they have problems later on.

Xinae
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2009, 5:33 pm

CerebralDreamer wrote:
This is just another reason why you should never underestimate the intelligence of children with Asperger's Syndrome. We 'get' things on a very deep level, and you should consider taking advantage of that when they have problems later on.

I have never underestimated my sons intelligence. Just every once in awhile he surprises us with his insight.