Any intense and very unusual 'phobias'?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 1:30 am

I'm afraid of escalators. And not for the reason that they are going to eat me or that I'm going to trap. I just don't like them. They feel awkward.

I'm also slightly creeped out by maggots just looking at them give me the goose bumps. *shudders*

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

Not anymore, but I used to be extremely afraid of flying on a plane. It was because of a time when I was in an airplane bathroom and it bumped up and down. I was so terrified of planes that I stayed home with my mom when my dad and sister went on a trip.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Mar 2011, 5:31 pm

A few that come to mind:

• Certain types of sticking plaster (for small cuts etc) - the slightly furry, linen-based stuff. The feel and smell of it makes me feel nauseous & dizzy.
    Actually, so does thinking about it. 8O
  • Moths. Big, fat lumbering moths. (bees/wasps and other flying stuff - no problem at all)
  • The colour combination of fawn & pale yellow, either as a mixed pattern of coloured dots or as a fine crosshatching. Nausea and a strange metallic taste in my mouth (no, not through trying to chew it - it just happens).
  • Caraway seeds. They smell and taste disgusting. I almost heave at the smell of the things.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

I don´t like caraway seeds either. :eew:

Byron
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2011, 8:21 am

My really unusual phobia's are Gangster's & being next or inside something that's not usually oversized (but only in the Guiness Book of World Records) (i.e. potato chip bags, aluminum cans, etc.) My phobia of Gangster's is like the main reason why I am terrified of being out in public (like downtown Denver) by myself.

mochinokitusentakk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2015, 8:02 pm

I realize this thread is old but I have the EXACT same phobia. My mother gives me so much crap about it too, but it's so bad that I have an anxiety attack every time I have to get my blood drawn (it also doesn't help that doctors offices usually have fluorescent lights, so I'm already stressed out from sensory issues when I get there). The last time I asked if they could put the needle in my hand instead, and when they said they might not be able to I started panicking immediately - my heart rate seemed like it tripled and I kept hyperventilating and crying. So they agreed to try my hand. Unfortunately I have circulation problems and they almost had to give up, but the nurse was really nice about it and persevered until she obtained enough blood.
Anyway, I think my fear stems from the first time I got my blood drawn when I was seven - I not only could feel the blood being sucked out but I felt intense pain during the entire procedure. And I've just been weirded out by that part of the body ever since. i also have a sort of Tourette's-like tic where I have to compulsively flex/bend my arms, which increases my anxiety getting my blood drawn because I'm worried I won't be able to keep my arm straight for that long.

Agustin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2015, 8:10 pm

I suffer from severe Phalacrophobia.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2015, 8:20 pm

My top five list:

1. Power tools, especially saws. I hate anything that makes loud noises that are supposed to be handled. I am also scared of hand dryers in public bathrooms and will wipe my hands dry on my clothes if no paper towels around.

2. The feeling of any insect crawling on me.

3. Needles, especially blood draws. I demand that lab techs use a butterfly needle on me and do a pediatric draw, and allow me to have my binky in my mouth and be squeezing someone's hand during the poke. I end up cussing anyway, though they may not be able to understand it due to the pacifier.

4. Roller coasters and any other amusement park rides that are designed to cause an "adrenaline rush". Give me the good old fashioned merry-go-round anyday.

5. The previous four fears are very typical for someone like me with moderate SPD. However my most unusual one is fear of being perceived as a "social conservative" (which I'm not), thus I demand I keep my hair long and avoid wearing conformist outfits such as "dress" clothing like business suits. I attribute this phobia to growing up in a religious environment which I abandoned as soon as I reached legal age.

BTW, add me to that caraway haters list also. One of the grossest tastes on earth, IMO.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0