Any intense and very unusual 'phobias'?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Dilemma wrote:

-Vomiting, i believe this may be almost a phobia, i can handle the word used in a joking way but not in a serious way and i can't handle seeing it, hearing it or doing it.

Oh yeah, I have this phobia too- big time!

So do I. I have it so bad that I won't even write about it unless someone else does first... Seriously, I was like agoraphobic for 3 years because I was so scared of being ill or seeing someone else be ill... I too can only handle it in a joking way. It took me ages to cope with the occasional throw up in South Park but I can handle most cartoons liek that now unless it is too realistic...

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 3:41 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Quote:
Dilemma wrote:

-Vomiting, i believe this may be almost a phobia, i can handle the word used in a joking way but not in a serious way and i can't handle seeing it, hearing it or doing it.

Oh yeah, I have this phobia too- big time!

So do I. I have it so bad that I won't even write about it unless someone else does first... Seriously, I was like agoraphobic for 3 years because I was so scared of being ill or seeing someone else be ill... I too can only handle it in a joking way. It took me ages to cope with the occasional throw up in South Park but I can handle most cartoons liek that now unless it is too realistic...

I can´t stand to watch any vomiting, in any form, on TV or in the movies. I have to cover my eyes, even when a cartoon character from South Park throws up!

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 1:13 am

TiredGeek wrote:
TheSpecialKid wrote:
FireBird wrote:
I am terrified of bees.

That makes us two.

Make that three, since I have a bad reaction to insect bites and stings. Not the immediately deadly anaphalactic shock but I do swell up very badly and get ill.

I also fear spiders.

Insects were one of my obsessions as a kid, I used to collect and study them until it became apparent that one too many bites/stings at a time could kill me. Now I fear them.

make that four...I am also terrified of spiders, although none of them kill me.I am also scared of ants.

When I was small...I used to be scared of escalators and elevators...I used to call em alligators.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2009, 1:33 am

Answering machines.

Judge Judy.

Creepy screaming fangirls.

Stupidity.

Hannah Montanna / Jonas Brothers

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:11 am

Loud noises and Bright lights scare me

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2009, 10:14 am

Tears on the inside of a chair--I can't sit in it since I think they might bumb against me. Plus the thought creeps me out. When I have no choice I won't talk to people because the tears distracts and scares me.

Lateral Puzzles--it's just when they talk about a situation and then the answers creep me out. It's like the one where the boy gets into a car accident and then they take him to the doctor, but the doctor won't take him because it's her son. Man, having scary thoughts again! Aaaargh!

Wasps--or any flying insect--the buzzing bothers me when I'm working or something, much less scares me. If a wasp or flying insect's in the house I just have to kill it for the fear of it touching me and buzzing in my head.

Belly buttons--this is one of my most hated phobia. If I see a belly button I can't eat for a week since the thought's branded in my head. I fear going to the beach because of it. But the grossest on is when you see a man whose pot belly pops out of his shirt and pants. I'm like saying to myself, "for God's sake can't you get a bigger shirt! It's not like there's a one-fit-all clothes or like humans aren't capable to knit, crochet, sew, or cross-stich bigger clothes! Nobody wants to see that!" That's just gross.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2009, 4:11 pm

Batz wrote:
Wasps--or any flying insect--the buzzing bothers me when I'm working or something, much less scares me. If a wasp or flying insect's in the house I just have to kill it for the fear of it touching me and buzzing in my head.

Okay, you nailed it with that description!

arisu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2009, 8:48 pm

i'm afraid of tulle. the material. touching it makes me feel violently ill. and i should stop writing now as thinking about makes me feel shaky.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:21 pm

all biting and stinging insects.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:14 pm

I have developed a very unusual phobia in the past couple of years or so, and it's got much worse since. It is the most unique, strangest phobia you could ever have. It is a phobia of small children between the ages of 18 months and 5 years (let's just say toddlers). I just don't like them near me, and if my family are invited to a friend's house who have got a toddler, I drop out and make up some excuse. Everyone says, ''she won't scream,'' or, ''he's not naughty,'' or, ''they're very sweet,'' but it's not always about that (although screaming is what has caused the phobia in the first place). It's just a phobia I have got - one of those phobias which are hard to identify the reasons. And because reasons are unidentified, the phobia makes me confused - and confusion is a very awkward emotion for me. Things what make me confused make me feel even more against something without knowing why, and could even cause a panic attack (or in other words, an outburst). When I'm out in public and a toddler is invading my space, I have to walk away before I start showing agitated expressions, like glaring, huffing, grunting, shuffling, ect. And I really, really hate it when a toddler sits in the seat behind me in the bus. It has become a big problem to me, because buses are my special interest, but my worse fear gets tangled up in my special interest, which is very confusing and awkward for an Aspie! I just hate the thought of a toddler behind me kicking the back of my seat and fidgeting and shrieking near my ears. It's bad enough having a kid with a loud voice on your bus, without it sitting right behind you. I think the sound of toddlers is the worst sound my ears have ever heard.

Sometimes, though, I might be fine with a child. I have a small boy next door to me, and he's just turned 5 (maybe he's not a toddler any more). I speak to him sometimes, and he chats back. When I left school at 16 I worked at a nursery for a while, dealing with children aged 2 to 4, and I loved it. I learned to filter out all the screaming and baby-talk, and could cope better when small children are around me. But since one was sick from a tummy bug, then a while later another one got sick, then another one, then one of the assistants, and I didn't like that. Luckily for me I didn't catch it, but I also do have a phobia of being sick (which is not an unusual phobia because almost every normal person is phobic about being sick), and you're most at risk of picking up the virus when around small children. So that finished of my joy of working with small children, but is not the cause of my fear.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:16 pm

Odin wrote:
all biting and stinging insects.

That's not an unusual phobia. It's a normal phobia. You should see my friend's mum when a wasp or a bee comes near her - she screams and flaps about. She said even if they didn't sting she'd still be afraid of them, because she doesn't like their bodies.

I think bees are lovely insects. If they didn't sting, I would pick them up like I do moths.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2011, 3:18 pm

Wouldn't say it was quite a phobia but birds feet really freak me out

stargazing
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2011, 4:16 pm

Interestingly enough, I think my abnormal LACK of any intense irrational fears whatsoever is easily attributable the common AS trait of being unusually logical and analytical. Even in childhood I never had any phobias of any kind and had no common childhood fears like being "afraid of the dark" or anything like that. Nor have I ever been actually scared by any scary movies or stories or anything either, although I can get a bit creeped out if there is an extremely disturbing psychological twist to it.

There is, however, one odd thing that can very briefly make my heart stop: seeing a realistic image of a corpse's face in a state of decomposition, or a skull. Especially if it's unexpected. I don't know where it comes from.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

When I was a kid/teenager I was afraid of fire. I'd worry/get nightmares about my home burning and such and I felt really scared if I saw/heard about some building burning, even if it was just in a movie. If someone was watching something on TV about fires I'd always leave the room and try to take my mind off it. I got worried if someone lit a candle in the house and made sure to watch it carefully. I'd make sure to keep an eye out for malfunctioning electronics and I'd make sure all fire alarms, fire extinguishers and such were ok. I'm not abnormally afraid of fires anymore though.

I'm phobic to cigarettes, cigars and such things. I don't want to touch them, the packs they're in, ashtrays (even clean ones) and other things that have touched them. I don't want to step on them or smell them and I'd rather not see them either, although that's virtually impossible. If I'm sitting in a car that has one on the floor near my feet I will be really uncomfortable the whole time and be very careful to not let it touch me or my shoes. If a smoker touches something while/after they smoke without washing their hands, I want to wash that item because I feel like it's contamined with tobacco, which I'm phobic to. I think this phobia could be connected to my sensory issues. I get nauseous if I smell tobacco at all, so I want to make sure to steer away from any traces of that smell.

I find most insects, other than common types of flies and bees, to be really creepy. I'd never touch them voluntarily and I don't want them in the house. I'm not afraid of them when it's unlikely that they can touch me, but I still find many of them disgusting and creepy to look at. When they show close ups of them on TV I always look away.

I don't remember any other phobias I have at the moment.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 12:52 am

I am terrified of water.
It's not like I'm afraid of taking a shower or bath, or even walking in the rain. Rather, I live in fear of becoming submerged in deep water. The last time I was in a pool was about six years ago with my wife and her dad. I remember, I stood at the shallow end, gripping the edge of the pool for dear life. I wanted to be brave enough to step away from the edge, and try at least floating. But the very notion of lifting my feet off the bottom of the pool and falling back was just too traumatic for me.
Prior to that, I had been on a boat to throw my mother-in-law's ashes overboard. All I could think of at the time was disappearing into the dark waters, with my lungs filling painfully with water.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2011, 1:11 am

I have a mild fear of traveling. Once I get going, it is better, though