Working class towns/cities are awful, anyone agree?

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 5:24 pm

most of my life I've lived in working class circumstances in working class places. I am what the middle-class snobs refer to as "from the wrong side of the tracks." and the upper class looks down on us all, especially the middle-class brown-nosers who naively want to join the upper class. the working class town I live in, has the basics and no more. no real culture unless you can call rustic nature culture. one [much smaller] side of town [on a plateau near a lake] is populated mainly by rich fundies, and on the other side [the valley next to the freeway] are working poor or underclass. there are artsy-fartsy stores downtown, many shuttered due to the main employer going titty-up- and a safeway store that the rich ones shop at [their prices are too GD high but they sell fancier food], a wally world for everybody else. I've lived here since 2008, I moved here when I determined I couldn't afford to live anywhere else that didn't require driving forever to get anyplace. it's home, for better or worse.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 9:17 pm

Perambulator wrote:
Their faces all went stone cold and one of them said "He looks like a f***ing Jew." Does that kind of thing happen everywhere?

Happens in southern California.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 9:30 pm

^^^here, they are more prone to saying things like, "you have a purty mouth," with a malevolent sneer.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 9:33 pm

Here, they are mirroring prison 'culture', if I might use the term loosely.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 9:35 pm

here at least, it is the poorer parts of the state that are the usual dumping ground for ex-cons. there was a perp bulletin board here for many years until a lawsuit forced the community to remove it. on it were the photos and names of those ex-cons.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2016, 9:20 am

I live in what they call the ghetto because at least I can afford the house. I agree, the neighbors aren't as decent as those in the richy part of town. Mine turn up their music and play with lowriders all day and night.