Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BadPuddle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2009, 8:36 pm

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but...
The only time I feel in any way spiritual or 'CLOSE TO GOD'
call it what you will, is when I am out on the shore, in the hills, amongst the trees and fields.
Over the years, I have thought this made me 'pagan'
But maybe, it is the resonance and proximity to peace that works for me?
Anyone got any thought on this??

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 8:47 pm

Well, nature's beauty has the power to put one at peace... It soothes the heart. ^^ It's kind of infuriating when humans go and destroy such beautiful sceneries and places though. =(

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 9:13 pm

I do feel quite tranquil and at peace in nature. I'm also awed. But I think it's more in awe of the emergent qualities of the world, the way a few small things come together over time to make very complex things.

BTW,

Wikipedia wrote:
Nature, in the broadest sense, is equivalent to the natural world, physical world or material world. "Nature" refers to the phenomena of the physical world, and also to life in general. It ranges in scale from the subatomic to the cosmic.

So I think it's kind of ironic that you feel 'close to god'. :wink:

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 11:41 pm

I get the sense that there is spirit in everything, but I especially feel it when I'm out in nature. Look into alchemy if you get a spiritual sense in nature.

-Pythagoras

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 12:14 am

Magnus wrote:
I get the sense that there is spirit in everything, but I especially feel it when I'm out in nature. Look into alchemy if you get a spiritual sense in nature.

Alchemy is nonsense. I like physics and chemistry, the real thing.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 6:13 am

In general, although nature is inspiring, it is out to kill you. If you are smart enough to outwit nature you will prosper and have kids and nature will sneak around and splat you with a meteor or an earthquake in an unxpected way. It will no doubt be a beautiful sight if you survive to see it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 7:53 am

Sand wrote:
In general, although nature is inspiring, it is out to kill you. If you are smart enough to outwit nature you will prosper and have kids and nature will sneak around and splat you with a meteor or an earthquake in an unxpected way. It will no doubt be a beautiful sight if you survive to see it.

One cannot outwit Nature forever. There is the second law of thermodynamics at work.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 8:22 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

One cannot outwit Nature forever. There is the second law of thermodynamics at work.

ruveyn

By the time the second law of thermodynamics does its final dirty work mankind will have either succumbed or evolved so totally that present humanity will not have a ghost of a chance to be thought of, much more remembered.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 8:32 am

Sand wrote:

By the time the second law of thermodynamics does its final dirty work mankind will have either succumbed or evolved so totally that present humanity will not have a ghost of a chance to be thought of, much more remembered.

Life will go on far longer than the human species. We are a glitch, a bump, a twitch.

If that asteroid or comet had not hit the earth about 65 million ybp we would not be around to tell stories.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 10:10 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Life will go on far longer than the human species. We are a glitch, a bump, a twitch.

If that asteroid or comet had not hit the earth about 65 million ybp we would not be around to tell stories.

ruveyn

Or I would be a velociraptor in dungarees.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 11:19 am

"Alchemy is nonsense."

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Alchemy the precursor of modern chemistry? <.<

Oh yeah and huh...Sadly however much we revere Nature, it doesn't really reprocitate (sp?). <.< Nature is rather neutral, all it cares about is its continuity. :o

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 12:51 pm

phil777 wrote:
"Alchemy is nonsense."

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Alchemy the precursor of modern chemistry? <.<

Just as astrology is the precursor of astronomy. But astrology is also nonsense.

ruveyn

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 4:23 pm

Sometimes when I walk in the woods during the day or look toward a distant galaxy in the night, I frequently stand back in awe not only of the beauty that God has made but also of the great intellect behind that beauty.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 6:34 pm

JetLag wrote:
Sometimes when I walk in the woods during the day or look toward a distant galaxy in the night, I frequently stand back in awe not only of the beauty that God has made but also of the great intellect behind that beauty.

On what evidence do you attribute all the Wow! to God? Which God, god or gods. Zeus? Jove? Oden? Yaweh? On what evidence do you infer design. You see the dots, then you connect them and then you conclude there is a pattern, but it is you who connected the dots.

ruveyn

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 7:09 pm

Ruveyn! When citing gods, you should "at least" name a few Nature related gods you know ;) Zeus hardly fits the bill.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 10:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
JetLag wrote:

On what evidence do you attribute all the Wow! to God? Which God, god or gods. Zeus? Jove? Oden? Yaweh? On what evidence do you infer design. You see the dots, then you connect them and then you conclude there is a pattern, but it is you who connected the dots.

ruveyn

You can lead a believer to logic but you cannot make him/her think.