Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 12:40 pm

It's officially out now, and it owns.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 2:12 pm

I've had it for a couple days. Seems a little slow coming up (but I'm running Windows 2000 on an 8-year-old machine). Only thing I've noticed since 3.0 is that some web pages won't save my login (I used to stay logged into some sites for years at a time).

Aside from that, no worries, mate...;)

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2009, 6:35 pm

just installed it I disliked it cant use most of my add-ons

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 6:52 pm

shugo974 wrote:
just installed it I disliked it cant use most of my add-ons

That'll be sorted out soon. In the meantime, just install Nightly Tester Tools and use it to disable compatibility checks on the essentials. There's also an about:config tweak to do the same thing.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 9:24 pm

without add-ons, it's chrome...

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll start playing with it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 9:56 pm

It still has thousands of add-ons, and the rest will be compatible shortly- trust me, all the extension developers are scrambling to make sure they're compatible with the new Firefox. The most high-profile add-on that still doesn't work is Tab Mix Plus, but they have a development build available that does work. And as I said, there are several options available to install "incompatible" add-ons, and for the most part they work.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 1:13 pm

it's definitely my first choice browser because of all the add-ons but I'm finding Opera 10 a tad faster.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 4:16 pm

Most of my add-ons work :) Seems to be some improvement over memory issues too...

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 5:33 pm

So far I love it, it takes up less resources and runs faster, only problem it that it won't open my facebook inbox

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 6:53 pm

I've just had a play with FF 3.5. It seems to access my facebook inbox without issues.

Chair
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jul 2009, 7:28 pm

supahneko wrote:
So far I love it, it takes up less resources and runs faster, only problem it that it won't open my facebook inbox

Uses up a marginal amount of more ram than the previous version for me, but performance-wise, Firefox 3.5 is in the lead for sure.

I've been using Firefox 3.5 since the alpha builds. It has great new features implemented in it like 'Private Browsing' and the ability to disable the 'Awesome Bar' by setting it to 'show nothing'.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 8:18 pm

Chair wrote:
'Awesome Bar'

I'm going to loose geek cred here, but WTF is an awesome bar?

And I'm still on 3.0.11. Ubuntu hasn't felt the need to update it, oddly enough. But it works, so I'm not really arsed to move on.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Chair
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jul 2009, 8:30 pm

kip wrote:
Chair wrote:
'Awesome Bar'

It's a list of web-site suggestions that shows up while you type a web-address in the address bar. Some people like the 'Awesome Bar', while I personally despise it.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 8:37 pm

I don't see how FF3.5 uses more memory. When I was using 3.0.11 it was using more memory. When I was using the 3.5b4/b99 version, I watched the figure drop. And I open loads of tabs. The numbers going from 700MB right back down to 200MB. 3.0.11 would just give back my memory. Bearing in mind I only have 1GB RAM on the computer I use for the internet.

I've not had any problems with accessing Facebook. It might be worth clearing the cache and cookies. It's a good start for me.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 9:26 pm

Chair wrote:
kip wrote:
Chair wrote:
'Awesome Bar'

It's a list of web-site suggestions that shows up while you type a web-address in the address bar. Some people like the 'Awesome Bar', while I personally despise it.

I have never called it that, but I know exactly what it is. I don't really pay attention to it, but then again, I mainly click links. It's rare for me to type a url.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 10:57 pm

kip wrote:
And I'm still on 3.0.11. Ubuntu hasn't felt the need to update it, oddly enough. But it works, so I'm not really arsed to move on.

3.5 has been in Ubuntu for a while. It's just a separate package called "Shiretoko" because they wanted to allow people to keep the stable version of 3.0 while also playing with the development builds of 3.5.