Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2006, 4:43 pm

Several times I have tried to search this site for a specific reference. I will get back a list of posts which have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject I'm searching for, and the information that your search engine found 1,310 references to it. But never does it direct me to what I'm looking for.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the search feature simply picking up every "the" and "an" and taking it from there?

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 12:33 am

Are You using 'the' and 'an' when You are searching for what You are searching for in the end.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2006, 12:34 am

Last time, no. I just punched in Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.

And got a punch of references that did not refer to that book at all.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 3:52 am

Did somebody talk about this book on a thread here on the WP. Do You remember what thread it was on or the title of it or some words of the title of the thread. That could help cut it down maybe. When I put in the Curious Incident Dog Night Time I got more than 1310 I got 2611. So if You can remember the Title of the thread that might cut it down.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 8:15 am

If you know the exact phrase, it helps to "Search for all terms" instead of "Search for any terms or use query as entered" and you should narrow the results way down. The "Display results as posts" option down the bottom also helps to pinpoint the reference in the topic.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 10:04 am

Yeah, that's odd... I tried "Curious Incident" and got 1401 matches, many of which didn't contain either of those two words, let alone the complete phrase (which is how I thought searches were supposed to work when you put words in quotes).

Admins... any ideas?