Ridiculed and insulted by complete strangers in the street?

Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 6:21 am

Psygirl6 wrote:
This happens to me once in a while. I am 30, but because I look like I am 12 or 14, i get picked on by teenagers.

Psygirl6, yes, I also look younger than I am, and I've sometimes wondered if this is one of the reasons that I get abuse from teenagers, because while they will do it to someone around their own age very readily, they won't usually do it to someone who actually appears to be an 'adult'.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 8:43 am

people in the streets (the "pits") do notice an oddity in my behavior (yawn) that makes them look at me. i am not bad looking so they presume i am an eccentric but innocent person (most of the time, but i do have outbursts like in supermarkets when i can no longer contain my impatience. at those times. people clutch on their purses because they can not tell what to expect from me next).

when i used to go to a pub for dinner every night (until about 6 months ago), i was always thrust into some spotlight or another if average people noticed me.

there was a small while (about 3 months) when i played the "poker machines" ("slot machines") with about $60 per night.

a lot of people came and tried to talk to me while i was playing the poker machine, but i was not really interested in them, so they went away.

one man was persistent and i came to know him and like him.

he used to come to the "pub" every thursday to play pool in some tournament that was happening.

every time that it was not his shot, he came to talk to me in another room where i was playing the poker machines.

we got into some very powerful discussions, and his "tournament" friends would come and get him to have his shot when it was due. his name was "cameron" (and probably still is)

he used to try to introduce me to these people when they came to get him to play his shot.

they all became hostile toward me after a few words came out of my mouth in my first meeting with them.

example:

other man: hey cam!! ! it's your shot man.
cam: yeah yeah....i'm having a conversation with this gentleman. this is "mark". ( cringe at being introduced that way)
other man: hey....g'day mark!! ! how are you man?
me: well i am reasonably moderate today.
other man: huh? are you having me on?
me: no i gave you a summary of how i am today.
other man: (imitates me and does so in a hostile way) : oh!! ! i gave you my summary!! ! oh i am too f*ckin' pooncy to know what the f**k's goin on!! !

me: hmmmm i have to go sorry.
other man: yeah f*ck off.

i always will remember people who are hostile to me and i will not flinch of they happen to be in my trajectory of retaliation.

i do not need to retaliate against people that have gone away.
i do not care what they ever thought of me.

i will retaliate against someone who sees me as an ongoing target for public ridicule.

i am sorry i am a bit too low functioning at the moment to continue.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 8:32 pm

your typical asbo-council house scumbag can smell difference from a mile away, so I constantly get started on. A few years ago everyone I passed would call me a "fa***t" or threaten me or something, now it's only most people. :lol: doesn't bother me too much, because I'm one of the strongest people I know, and if someone physically started on me I know I could knock them out in a second :)

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 12:15 am

Just say, "Go put your helmet back on, mongoloid!".

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 1:07 am

I've had this a lot. I'm a very tall woman, strongly built, with a funny gait (which I'm working on) and am naturally well endowed in the chest area. This had led to many witty comments over the years.

On the day my mother took a fatal overdose, for example, I was walking back from the hospital, and two guys in a white van beeped me, one (the polymath genius, no doubt, of this particular pairing) stuck his head out of the window and shouted, "oy, big tits!" Normally when someone makes a comment like that I'll reply. "Perspicacity incarnate" is a favourite, or something of that ilk. On this particular occasion I didn't say anything and they drove off laughing.

I had a lot of ridicule as a kid and teenager, many people commenting on my walk. "She walks like a duck," "it's like watching a coat hanger on acid," "swing those arms baby, you're in the army now." It's only after seeing video footage of me walking that I understand what they're talking about. Not that it should matter at all how I walk, but I've tried to improve it.

My son also gets this all the time. He's an adolescent boy, so I imagine it's worse.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 4:41 am

Yeah I get this often. Actually, a couple days ago, I had some teeny bopper girls laugh at me for no reason. I'm 30 years old, but I figure to let them have their moment because, well, that moment is all they really are going to have. I guess they too much reminded me of the popular girls back when I was in high school who grew up turning fat and ugly (and some with major drug problems). Kharma is a b***h.

To be honest, I think this sort of thing happens to everyone. Some people handle it better than others...in more ways than one. Like some people don't get bothered by it much. (As it didn't really bother me when it was the teeny bopper girls, but an adult woman doing the same thing would really tick me off). Also, some people respond better to save face. I've even had my moments where I turn around and throw out, "Do I look like your momma?" Of course, anytime I dish out some fighting words, I'm fully prepared to fight (well, I don't really like to call it fighting as much as neutralizing the opponent since they are two totally different things). But I've tamed down a lot since I had kids. I have no problem protecting my kids, and in that process, i guess I'm just not going to be the one who takes things to a level it doesn't need to go anymore. Now I kinda have a creative flip on things like if someone calls me a name, I add, don't forget good looking. In a bar, I tend to go drill sgt on people like that where I start hazing them no different than if they had the guts to join up. My default social defense always has been and always will be to go snob. I hate to do it because it isn't me and I do have more substance than that, but it's what my brain does on its own when feeling socially threatened and can't come up with anything better at the time.

Oh, and I noticed it seems to happen more often to me when I'm already having a bad day, like when I'm sick. Maybe it's NT empathy kicking in :roll:

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 10:28 am

It still happens to me occasionally. If it's teenage boys they usually shout from their
sports cars. Some younger teenage girls recently shouted out 'specky' at me.

sm_droid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 11:24 am

Tantybi wrote:
Oh, and I noticed it seems to happen more often to me when I'm already having a bad day, like when I'm sick. Maybe it's NT empathy kicking in :roll:

Its true...they seem to be able to pick out people who are feeling vulnerable and go for them.

Some days I've walked out of house fully gothed up feeling in a good mood and confident and been left alone even walking past gangs of lads. Other times I've been coming home from work in my uniform not looking remotely alternative but in a bit of a weak mood and had abuse shouted at me by grown men in cars...its weird.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2009, 11:24 am

I get it quite a lot at school(High School). People are parasites off me and use me as fuel for their comedic fashion... When I first attended the school I'd seriously get pissed off and after around... probably 5 months of being there took it all out on one person(I forced her head into the table several times in the dining room). She never talked to me again(she'd been calling me names for months and every time she did after she'd done it 20 times or so I promised my self that the next time I'd flip... I just kept it in and I couldn't keep it anymore). I guess some people left me alone but that was it. Several months after that there was another female who kept on winding me up about how I looked and I eventually ended up getting in a fight in the changing rooms. I lost but she also kept away and had A LOT more respect towards me. Whenever we work together now she doesn't call me names, etc.
It's only really left me to conclude that violence does seem to get people to shut up, and meltdowns.
Though I still get wound up by people a lot when I'm just sitting down reading and listening to music(I can pretend I don't hear them then). I think- dread, that the next person who takes my headphones off I'll lash out at.
I don't think I'm perceived as a violent person, someone who doesn't really mind being wound up. I can only were a mask for so long though.
I don't really care how people here view me, I'm thinking the whole point of being here is to be honest and act my self, though, I still feel it's significant to note I'm a female. Seeing as a male hitting a female is comparatively a female hitting a 7 year old- I'm not that violent. I know that.
EMZ.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 1:07 pm

Emor wrote:
I get it quite a lot at school(High School). People are parasites off me and use me as fuel for their comedic fashion... When I first attended the school I'd seriously get pissed off and after around... probably 5 months of being there took it all out on one person(I forced her head into the table several times in the dining room). She never talked to me again(she'd been calling me names for months and every time she did after she'd done it 20 times or so I promised my self that the next time I'd flip... I just kept it in and I couldn't keep it anymore). I guess some people left me alone but that was it. Several months after that there was another female who kept on winding me up about how I looked and I eventually ended up getting in a fight in the changing rooms. I lost but she also kept away and had A LOT more respect towards me. Whenever we work together now she doesn't call me names, etc.
It's only really left me to conclude that violence does seem to get people to shut up, and meltdowns.
Though I still get wound up by people a lot when I'm just sitting down reading and listening to music(I can pretend I don't hear them then). I think- dread, that the next person who takes my headphones off I'll lash out at.
I don't think I'm perceived as a violent person, someone who doesn't really mind being wound up. I can only were a mask for so long though.
I don't really care how people here view me, I'm thinking the whole point of being here is to be honest and act my self, though, I still feel it's significant to note I'm a female. Seeing as a male hitting a female is comparatively a female hitting a 7 year old- I'm not that violent. I know that.
EMZ.

I would tell you to just ignore them and focus on your studies, but I think people go through a social learning process throughout life, and highschool is an important time for them to master that level. Of course, NT's do it instintively like getting a feel for things. When I was in high school, I turned to violence often and it does work. But everyone was afraid of me. It's like a false respect like what Hitler demanded. My mom's advice was always to ignore them, but that's no solution to my problem. You can sit there and figure out different outcomes to your options, and nine times out of ten, they aren't pretty. I really think you would benefit in the long run to learn somehow how to flip things around so when girls are making fun of you, the rest of the class prefers you still over that girl and she is no longer cool. In other words, if you can play their game and learn how to beat them in their game, then that's something worth taking home with you...more so than an A in Math. I mean you don't want to fail all your classes, but I really think I would have been more prepared for the workforce if I knew how to deal with people who act like the bulk of your high school students in a non-violent manner. They don't disappear after high school. I think I read in a study that bullying is more common in adulthood than in school age. You can't just beat up people who mess with you at work. You see a lot of Aspies complaining that they have gone through too many jobs in their life, and a lot of that is because they get bullied by someone at work and then they lose the office politics because they just don't know how to play the game. At least in high school, you don't have much to lose (like your income) when you try to play those games trying to find your feel in it and learning how to master people. Being Aspie, it will be harder for you to figure these things out on your own than NT's, but they have lots of books out there on people skills and maybe even sales (how to close the deal). You might find it a nice little special interest for the next couple of years to read some books (or even skim them) and try to apply what you learn from those books into life. Just don't stoop yourself to a nasty level in the process cause Karma does come back on people.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 1:17 pm

Quote:
This sort of thing happens to me all the time, am i the only one?

You're most definately not the only one. I notice you too live in England. There seems to be a new culture here that developed approximately 8 or 9 years ago where people just seem to think they have the right to pick on ANYONE. I mean that, no one is off limits. At the college I used to go to, there was a monthly meeting for disabled students. Some, like me had the 'invisible' disabilities (although I now have a physical disability too) and others had more serious problems. There was an elderly lady who was pretty much totally blind, another guy with AS and dyspraxia and a young man who was deaf-blind (he had Sticklers syndrome but had just enough hearing and sight left to communicate). Now even an r-tard knows not to pick on someone like him, but apparently people comment in the street (much like I get daily), beat him up 'for the fun of it' and have even taken his white cane and made him try to find it. I felt sick when he told us. Its bad enough for a person with AS. I no longer go out alone because I know someone will totally p**s me off and I have huge anger management issues...

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2009, 1:21 pm

Tantybi wrote:
Emor wrote:
EMZ.

I would tell you to just ignore them and focus on your studies, but I think people go through a social learning process throughout life, and highschool is an important time for them to master that level. Of course, NT's do it instintively like getting a feel for things. When I was in high school, I turned to violence often and it does work. But everyone was afraid of me. It's like a false respect like what Hitler demanded. My mom's advice was always to ignore them, but that's no solution to my problem. You can sit there and figure out different outcomes to your options, and nine times out of ten, they aren't pretty. I really think you would benefit in the long run to learn somehow how to flip things around so when girls are making fun of you, the rest of the class prefers you still over that girl and she is no longer cool. In other words, if you can play their game and learn how to beat them in their game, then that's something worth taking home with you...more so than an A in Math. I mean you don't want to fail all your classes, but I really think I would have been more prepared for the workforce if I knew how to deal with people who act like the bulk of your high school students in a non-violent manner. They don't disappear after high school. I think I read in a study that bullying is more common in adulthood than in school age. You can't just beat up people who mess with you at work. You see a lot of Aspies complaining that they have gone through too many jobs in their life, and a lot of that is because they get bullied by someone at work and then they lose the office politics because they just don't know how to play the game. At least in high school, you don't have much to lose (like your income) when you try to play those games trying to find your feel in it and learning how to master people. Being Aspie, it will be harder for you to figure these things out on your own than NT's, but they have lots of books out there on people skills and maybe even sales (how to close the deal). You might find it a nice little special interest for the next couple of years to read some books (or even skim them) and try to apply what you learn from those books into life. Just don't stoop yourself to a nasty level in the process cause Karma does come back on people.

Hmm... thanks for the advice. I'll read more into it later.
EMZ=]

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 1:45 pm

i'm not sure. i have a difficult time controlling my facial expressions, so maybe people are laughing at that. i have had that experience, but i don't know if it's for no reason (if that makes sense.)

either way, it's sad. you don't deserve that kind of treatment.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 2:54 pm

Tantybi wrote:
Yeah I get this often. Actually, a couple days ago, I had some teeny bopper girls laugh at me for no reason. I'm 30 years old, but I figure to let them have their moment because, well, that moment is all they really are going to have. I guess they too much reminded me of the popular girls back when I was in high school who grew up turning fat and ugly (and some with major drug problems). Kharma is a b***h.

:lmao:

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 2:51 am

Morgana wrote:
Tantybi wrote:

:lmao:

Yeah, but as I say it, I know what goes around comes around, and I might of had a nice figure last month, but since I just found out I'm pregnant again, I'm sure that figure is going to change in the next 9 months. And, whats worse, I'm also sure I will run into some girl I couldn't stand in high school while I'm 6 months pregnant and she'll think I'm just fat again (like what happened when I was pregnant with my first kid). With my luck, this weight won't come off after I have the baby, and I didn't even get any decent pictures of me when I was skinny to prove it. :cry:

Turisas
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2009, 4:07 am

It used to happen to me all the time in highschool, not so much anymore.