Ridiculed and insulted by complete strangers in the street?

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2009, 5:09 pm

On tuesday, i went into town and had 2 seperate instances of this and i was only there for a couple hours! :(
The first: i was sitting on a wall, drinking a pint of milk when 4 men walked past, as they passed, 1 of them made a small fake lunge at me which made me flinch and they walked away laughing. :(
The second: in the park, there was a group sitting by the path and as i passed, 1 of them watched me and said "what the f**k?"
This sort of thing happens to me all the time, am i the only one?

sm_droid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2009, 5:15 pm

Justin6378 wrote:
On tuesday, i went into town and had 2 seperate instances of this and i was only there for a couple hours! :(
The first: i was sitting on a wall, drinking a pint of milk when 4 men walked past, as they passed, 1 of them made a small fake lunge at me which made me flinch and they walked away laughing. :(
The second: in the park, there was a group sitting by the path and as i passed, 1 of them watched me and said "what the f**k?"

Well I've that sort of thing a lot of my life, but thats more down to my gothic dress sense than anything else. Nowadays it doesnt matter though, theres a breed of idiots that'll just give out abuse to anyone from any background and they seem to sense who they can get away with doing to.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 5:28 pm

Mostly it's been people coming onto me, sexual comments, and groping. I think the ones you encountered were just stupidly looking for cheap entertainment. If you were alone, that would have made you an easy target. I think you are in the age range and gender of those they tend to target.

SpazzDog
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2009, 5:40 pm

Not in real life. I guess I look like the type whose crazy enough to flip out on someone if pushed too much. So people tend to leave me alone even if I suspect they have unapproving opinions of me.

But on the internet it's different. Like ok OkCupid.com, the people there are generally insolent and hateful and don't hold back on me. I'm probably going to delete my account for that reason.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2009, 5:43 pm

Quote:
I think you are in the age range and gender of those they tend to target.

How's that? I don't see a male in his 30's as being a prime target. Maybe the alone part.

I have the same problem though Justin6378. I went to buy groceries a couple weeks ago, and on the way in from my car this truck passes by about 100 feet away and someone shouted out "fa***t" at the top of their lungs. I kept walking, thinking they were talking to someone else, and then they shouted out something else along those lines. This time I stopped, and turned to look. The person shouted "Yeah, I'm talking to you!". This was very strange, as I don't know anybody and wasn't doing anything particularly attention worthy (although I suspect the AS gait makes me a target). I mulled over the possibility of going over, but then decided not to as I wasn't sure how many people were in the vehicle.

The thing is, incidents like this send me into a near homicidal frenzy, as I had to deal with s**t like that all through high school, and each additional incident is an aggravation of the emasculation and humiliation I had to endure. I'm sure one of these days it's going to result in a release along the lines of an overcontrolled aggressor (a condition where tormentors enjoy a long period of passivity followed by a catastrophic outburst of violence).

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 5:45 pm

Quote:
The thing is, incidents like this send me into a near homicidal frenzy, as I had to deal with sh** like that all through high school

Exactly the same here, for the same reason.

I had someone make a derisive noise at me in the street, and I swear I just wanted to run after him, pound him into the ground, kick him in the face repeatedly, take his pants down, and rape him with some object.

I have so much rage in me I think it borders on a disorder...

unchainedaura
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2009, 5:50 pm

I get this sort of thing a lot, have been assaulted by strangers over 30 times to date. Imbeciles like these really irritate me . I think they target me as I'm fairly unlikely to ever hit another human being so make an easy mark. Been getting that since I was 10, I also get threatened and insulted a LOT. Guess we do something unintentional that irratates violent morons.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 5:53 pm

Sometimes I think WP is really bad for me, cause I get so worked up just reading about this stuff.. my heart rate must double every time I read a post about people being treated badly like that.

Some people are just nasty. I wish massive amounts of harm to come to them. I know that's bad of me, but it's bad of them to be so horrible.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2009, 6:03 pm

Quote:
I wish massive amounts of harm to come to them. I know that's bad of me, but it's bad of them to be so horrible.

They lose their right to compassion, IMO, when they render someone Other (basically, dehumanise) to self-aggrandize themselves (or whatever their motivation is). I don't think people comprehend the mental processes incidents like the ones mentioned above agitate, it is like an emotional death every time. Seen in that light, maybe our responses aren't so out of line.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 6:05 pm

Yes, I've had this happen, too. These were the schoolyard bullies who never quite managed to grow up. Sadly, there are a lot of them out there. Once, I made a sorrowful face and a comment about how it must be so difficult to live with that kind of brain damage and the person's friend laughed. The guy just kept looking between us as if he couldn't figure out why his buddy was laughing. :lol:

Regards,

Patricia

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 6:10 pm

Justin6378 wrote:

That kind of stuff that reminds me of middle school antics. Those people sound like complete lowlifes who should have either been aborted or shipped off to a gorilla refuge where they'd fit in better with the local fauna.

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2009, 6:17 pm

I dress like most people on the street and have an average short hairstyle, so i don't think it's my apperance that causes this, but probably because of my "gait" and the fact i tend to stair at people and things.
I gave no anger or rage about this, only sadness, i am extremely passive and in the face of violence tend to freeze like a "rabbit in the headlamps". :cry:

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 6:20 pm

unchainedaura wrote:
I get this sort of thing a lot, have been assaulted by strangers over 30 times to date. Imbeciles like these really irritate me . I think they target me as I'm fairly unlikely to ever hit another human being so make an easy mark. Been getting that since I was 10, I also get threatened and insulted a LOT. Guess we do something unintentional that irratates violent morons.

Er, maybe you should take some self-defense classes...

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 6:26 pm

This used to happen to me a lot. It's really decreased now that I'm in my 40's but every now and then someone will start screaming at me for no reason.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 6:43 pm

What the heck???? Nothing like this has ever happened to me that I am aware of (I tend to pay very little attention to people, though so...)

Why are people so mean??? 8O I don't understand why someone would do that...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 7:20 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
unchainedaura wrote:

Er, maybe you should take some self-defense classes...

HUH?!?!?!? Unless he acted aggressive and OFFENSIVE, and developed a reputation, how could that help?

Justin6378,

That happened in ENGLAND? When you were about 30!?!? Happily, that kind of treatment of me was rare, and stopped around when I was 16 or so. My flinching was because I want to avoid people, and NOT out of fear or being startled.

As for the insults, etc...? Even one of the idiot jerks effectively told me I seemed like an easy target.

BTW I WAS twice on a plane and the idiot that lucked out and got the isle seat took a VERY offensive posture. If we were kids, I probably would have attacked them. It is interesting that they seemed to want to fight me, LITERALLY! That is RARE though! It has happened THREE times in the past 10 years, and ZERO times in the ten years preceeding that.