What are some good ways to meet people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 7:30 pm

My friend, who's married was telling me about some event he and his wife were going to and suggested that I bring a date and come too. I told him that I don't have a date so I was going to pass and he told me that it doesn't have to be anything serious, just ask a woman I know to come and that would be that. The problem is, and he didn't seem to grasp, is that I don't know any single women. Not a single, single one. So my question is, what are some good ways to meet them? I'm well out of school so that's not an option, there are no women at my place of employment so that's not an option. Meeting single women through my one friend isn't an option either at this point. Due to my work schedule, it's not an option for me to join a club or take a class or something like that so I'm at my wits' end. It's kind of sad that when I go through my contacts on my cell phone, other than family members, there's not a single female on it.

I try to follow my interests but that doesn't work. When work schedule permits, I go fishing. No chance to meet women there. I go to a fishing club. No women there. I go and play board games (strategy/war/euro) with some guys, no (single) women there. I go to a game/card shop to play games and Magic, no women there. I take my dog to parks and beaches to walk him and surprisingly enough, no women (single) women there either, at least not in an appropriate age range. I'm not into bars/clubs or anything like that and have a hell of a time making small talk so I hope that someday, I'll meet a woman at an even centered around one of my interests because then I'll have something to talk about, but after many years, I just don't think that's going to happen.

About the only times I see women that provide an option to talk to them is if I'm at a restaurant and they're waiting my table or something. My problem then is that I just don't know what to say. I'm not shy, I just don't know what to say.

Ratae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2009, 10:01 pm

Well you sound like a "mans man" with pred. male interests. There is always sports centers though i find women there are always taken (likely cos they are fit :) ). Other than that I think you could try youth hostels - even something local or neighbor county, they are good places to meet single women.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 10:53 pm

Ratae wrote:
Well you sound like a "mans man" with pred. male interests. There is always sports centers though i find women there are always taken (likely cos they are fit :) ). Other than that I think you could try youth hostels - even something local or neighbor county, they are good places to meet single women.

heh, I don't even know what a youth hostel is :)

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 7:40 am

Try joining some church groups for young adults.

There you will meet some really prime young women.

brothersport

02 Jul 2009, 12:00 pm

I'm agnostic, but I've tossed around the idea a few times of going to church simply for the social networking aspect of it all. Seems like an easy way to meet new friends and expand your social circle. I'm not sure if I could tolerate doing it for long, though.

the_wife

02 Jul 2009, 2:02 pm

Maybe try some volunteer work? In an area of interest to you so as to meet people with that commonality. Typically, volunteers are nice people, right?

SuperiorMutant
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2009, 1:26 am

Ratae wrote:

I tried this. I went to the local your hostel and knocked on the doors. It was the middle of the day so only one of them answered and it was three backpackers from Lithuania, two guys and a girl. The girl was cute and kinda shy but doesn't speak any English and I don't really feel comfortable asking one of the dudes to translate for me because they're pretty big and I'm afraid one of them might be her boyfriend.

Maybe both of them are her boyfriends, who knows with Europeans.

I wonder if I should even go back. The guy at the front desk was looking at me strangely when I went in. I think he knows I'm not a guest and I don't want him to call the cops on me for being a pervert.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 8:47 pm

SuperiorMutant wrote:
Ratae wrote:

I tried this. I went to the local your hostel and knocked on the doors. It was the middle of the day so only one of them answered and it was three backpackers from Lithuania, two guys and a girl. The girl was cute and kinda shy but doesn't speak any English and I don't really feel comfortable asking one of the dudes to translate for me because they're pretty big and I'm afraid one of them might be her boyfriend.

Maybe both of them are her boyfriends, who knows with Europeans.

I wonder if I should even go back. The guy at the front desk was looking at me strangely when I went in. I think he knows I'm not a guest and I don't want him to call the cops on me for being a pervert.

So what is a hostel? Is this something that's only in Europe?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 10:04 pm

Wombat wrote:
Try joining some church groups for young adults.

There you will meet some really prime young women.

There is no such thing... I spend all my free time at a church, and let me tell you, I represent the entire 18-30 demographic...