Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 5:05 am

I've been prescribed potassium tablets before so this is nothing new to me, no matter what diet i have or no matter how high my intake is my potassium levels are always below normal. To take them i have to add them to a drink, they will dissolve into the drink and then obviously i must drink said drink.

What i want to know is how do i make them easier to take? In the past i've tried drinking them water, coke, fanta and various other beverages. No matter what i add them to, they are still the most vile thing i've ever had to put in my mouth, it usually takes me hours to drink said drinks with the tablet in them and i feel sick for the entire time.

Has anyone else out there taken potassium tablets, and what did you drink them with? Does anyone have any tips or tricks that would make this a lot easier or more pleasant?

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 5:35 am

Michjo wrote:
What i want to know is how do i make them easier to take? In the past i've tried drinking them water, coke, fanta and various other beverages. No matter what i add them to, they are still the most vile thing i've ever had to put in my mouth, it usually takes me hours to drink said drinks with the tablet in them and i feel sick for the entire time.

You might try this: have two glasses, the first with the tablet. Then move your tongue out of the way to right or left. Tilt your head to the other side. Drink the first glass very quickly. The tongue and head-tilt is needed so that the bad tasting fluid would minimize it's contact with your tongue. Then drink from the other glass to flush the bad taste from your mouth.

Drinking with a tilted head needs some practising, so be prepared to have some spill-stains on your clothes.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 11:03 am

I’ve had dangerously low level of potassium before.

Yes it is not a nice taste. Have you considered mixing the dissolved solution in mash potato, or other foods? Starchy foods can mask that sort of taste.

Maybe you could learn to administer intravenously.

An alternative to OddFinn suggestion is to use a funnel, but you may have to overcome your gag reflex.

Bijou_Jewel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2009, 10:23 pm

Okay, I know this is going to sound very weird but what I use is a beer bong. Why? Because when the fluid comes straight into your mouth; not only does it come out fast but it also hits the back of your mouth bypassing the taste buds. And then I follow it with part two below.

Or you can try it another way. Dissolve the tablet (or any other foul tasting medication) in as little fluid (non-carbonated) and throw it back and swallow it. Then (part two) drink 8-16oz of an acidic beverage as a chaser (orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, sunni-delight :).) Ginger lemonade is my favorite. :)

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 7:59 am

What sort of potassium are you taking?

Potassium chloride, sulphate, hydroxide, chelate, bicarbonate, etc ?

There are many different types, with your doctors permission, maybe you could experiment until you find something that isn't so repulsive to you?

(Please reply as I am really keen on supplement information!)

maybe you could find something in a powder?

I am trying to find Potassium bicarbonate at the moment,
as a general systemic alkaliniser,
(which isn't avaliable from chemists or Health food shops, here in Australia,
I am going to have to resort to the internet. :x )

monty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 7:27 am

Also, what strength or dose? There is a strange and irrational law that limits non-prescription potassium tablets to 99 or 100 mg. By contrast, a banana can contain 450 to 550 mg potassium. Orange juice also contains 500 mg per cup, and a large baked potato can have 800 mg or more.

Potassium supplements may be needed to restore low levels in the blood, but potassium is relatively easy to maintain if a diet is rich in fruits and veggies.

http://www.pamf.org/patients/pdf/potassium_count.pdf

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 8:55 am

I'm taking 3 tablets a day, which works out as 1.5g of potassium, i also have an high potassium diet. The tablet's themselves are a 60/40 mix of potassium chloride and potassium bicarbonate. I did try everyones suggestions but didn't really get too far, i can't overcome my gag reflex and metallic potatoes aren't very tasty. (Thank you very much for the suggestions though).

It was at this stage that my little brother called me a ret*d, and told me i should break the tablets into smaller pieces and take them like ordinary tablets. He then also suggested a sugary drink to hide any taste and it's been working really well actually. I've been using the blue powerade's, and i swallow them as soon as possible (before they disolve too much), i'm not really tasting anything.

Quote:
Potassium supplements may be needed to restore low levels in the blood, but potassium is relatively easy to maintain if a diet is rich in fruits and veggies.

I've done a course of the tablets before, and after finishing it my potassium levels were still too low. If i take all 3 tablets at the same time, my hypotonia disspears and then have a stimulating effect. Both effects wear off within 15 - 30 minutes :?. I have no idea as to where all the potassium could be going, where is it hiding? sigh.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 10:49 am

I usually get low on potassium in the warmer months. Signs: sluggish, cloudy mental state, and some. I take between 2-8 tablets w/food depending on what I need each given day (some days I don't). Mine are pretty easy as I just take the solid pills with water. I use Peter Gillham's Natural Vitality potassium (I think it's 99mg) from the vitamin store, it's the brand my doc recommended to me. Quick and easy.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:38 pm

monty wrote:
There is a strange and irrational law that limits non-prescription potassium tablets to 99 or 100 mg. By contrast, a banana can contain 450 to 550 mg potassium. Orange juice also contains 500 mg per cup, and a large baked potato can have 800 mg or more.

The law is a bit weird, but it's meant to protect people from taking too much potassium, which in an otherwise healthy individual could lead to irregular heart beat and worse. The bioavailability and rate of absorption of potassium in foods like bananas or orange juice varies significantly, so a direct comparison of potassium in food versus in supplement form is difficult.

Michijo, I'm glad you've basically solved the problem of getting the stuff down your throat. Do you know why your potassium level is so low?