Page 6 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 2:35 am

I dont know who Alis Rowe is, i dont conform to the person Alis Rowe, i but i conform to the words in the picture below.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 2:30 am

^^^i'll buy that for a dollar.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 3:04 am

Evolution & Conformity

Without animals like Alex we would never have been able to fill this forum with our reactions. And in this context I don't mean the owner of that forum who is also called Alex, but the fish that crawled ashore called Alex in the picture, and is summoned to conform to the group/school. I'm going my own way, Alex most likely thought when he withdrew from the herd.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jul 2021, 3:36 am

^ I love that!!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2021, 5:49 am

Looking at the customers at work day after day, I'm always just sort of amazed that thousands of people in my city seem to have gotten together and decided to like the exact same style of clothing, tattoos, music*, etc., etc. (*I can hear the music emanating from their earbuds and their cars. It's always the same.)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 9:56 am

I used to marvel at all the nonconformists in their blue jeans, but I think it can be traced to a single description of the hero's jeans in "On the Road."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 11:54 am

so far i have not found anybody else who comports like i do.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 1:18 pm

Are Aspies less likely to conform than NTs?

What does everyone else think?

We may be less likely to conform as a means to achieve acceptance. However, as the years pass and society becomes more "trigger happy". One learns to check reflexive comments so as to avoid drawing fire. This can appear as conformity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 1:29 pm

i have learned to hang back and avoid people.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2021, 2:27 pm

Be yourself; just like everyone else.

Conforming is either punished or rewarded depending upon the example.
Not conforming is either punished or rewarded depending upon the example.

The story of my life is found in these two equally true, and oft-repeated themes. I'll give a specific example in example one, but for example number two - I'm guessing everyone has been through it enough times that they'll know exactly what I mean without a concrete example.

1. The principal of the elementary school that I attended would occasionally come in to teach the advanced sixth grade class. His teaching method encouraged his students to think - a technique claimed by many but executed by few. Let's pick up the action in the middle of one of his lessons, shall we?

Principal: "...so, the answer then would be twenty-four. And how about the answer to this one?

Students in chorus: Twenty-four!
Principal: Are you sure?
Students: Yes!
Principal: And the answer to this equation?
Students: Twenty-four!
Principal: Are you sure?
Principal: How about this one?
Students: Twenty-four!
Principal: Everyone sure?
Me: It's actually negative twenty-four.
Principal: Excuse me?
Me: The answer is negative twenty-four, not twenty-four.
Principal: I don't see it. Anyone else?
Students: ~laughter~
Principal: Explain to me how you arrived at this conclusion, please.

So I do, to more laughter. Then when I'm done he says, "Excellent! I had thought no one had been listening to me, but clearly you were. Well done!"

2. I listen to the principals directions and follow them to the letter, but it's not what he meant so I'm in trouble.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 6:16 pm

I never really necessarily wanted to be a non-conformist, it's just the way I am. I always more wanted to fit in a bit more, but well that never happened.

I even kinda feel like the odd one out in like things I identify with, like I'm a metalhead but I'm not like other metalheads, I'm a bit of a nerd but not like other nerds, as for my being a girl and now woman I feel like Arya Stark from game of thrones. Or even with autism I feel like I don't necessarily have as much in common with other people with autism.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2021, 6:44 pm

Magneto wrote:
Are Aspies less likely to conform than NTs? This could lead to 'impaired' social interaction, as they wouldn't conform to 'social rules', and would have different interests to the majority.

Fascinating question.

I do not know, but seems we are nonconformist from birth.
Our "wiring" means we cannot decode and provide the expected "right" social nonverbals, for instance -
which means we are "not behaving properly" - which may be why exclusion from the reindeer games etc.

Seems all creatures are wired with a little anxiety (for example consider the squirrel or rabbit) to enhance alertness/survival

It's hypothesis, but think neurotypicals have solved anxiety (somewhat) by becoming "herd animals" - perhaps a consequence of evolutionary biology. Being included in a herd means protection and safety - so the impulse is to remains solidly in the herd regardless (query "Asch conformity experiment" on videos or regular).
A non-conformist is suspicious because that person may not be part of the "herd," so not predictable, so "dangerous."
Neurotypicals seem to have a simultaneous fascination and dread for the non-typical e.g. films about psychopaths, monsters etc. so these might have a fascination with us (e.g. Spock) but also a dread, or at minimum unease.

So no, we do not conform - but I think it cannot be helped.
Masking "camouflage" is protective, yet taxing.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2021, 7:11 pm

vividgroovy wrote:
Looking at the customers at work day after day, I'm always just sort of amazed that thousands of people in my city seem to have gotten together and decided to like the exact same style of clothing, tattoos, music*, etc., etc. (*I can hear the music emanating from their earbuds and their cars. It's always the same.)

I've got a clip for you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g55SloahAj0

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2021, 4:18 am

Harry Haller wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:

I've got a clip for you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g55SloahAj0

LOL! Exactly. Except that I like that song much better than the music they play :D.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2021, 10:30 am

vividgroovy wrote:
Looking at the customers at work day after day, I'm always just sort of amazed that thousands of people in my city seem to have gotten together and decided to like the exact same style of clothing, tattoos, music*, etc., etc.

Thank you for clarifying this for me. I keep getting e-mails from Netflix that ask me, "What are people in your area watching right now?" And when I open it, I discover the answer to that question. I've always wondered why they think I want this information but you've cleared it up for me nicely! Who do I contact to get the e-mail updates on what people in my area are thinking so I can make up my mind on stuff? /sarcasm

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 1:17 pm

^^ NTs like to watch the same movies so they can discuss them. I like that they like to watch on that basis, so I can avoid them. The last time a family loaned me their favourite movie, I didn't mind the talking animals, but the bulls had udders. That's all I remember.