Page 3 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 8:24 am

In real life I go between not conforming just because I don't to not conforming because I'm actively trying to be the opposite of everyone else.

Online I sometimes get brainwashed into conforming, which is why I don't like online politics. I get brainwashed and obsessed then trapped then push in the opposite direction. I've done this with about 7 ideologies now and am going into feeling the same about my eighth.

I like it on here cos we're all our own people. Someone tried judging me yesterday for liking soaps so I told him 'if we all conformed to what other people wanted to talk about we'd be no better than NTs' or something like that.

(I don't think we're better than NTs in all things but I think not conforming is a virtue)

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 5:19 am

Magna wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
I do believe that non-conformity is one of our primary defining attributes as Aspies and is one of our many social impairments but could be viewed by many as one of our greatest strengths.

I am physically unable to conform to much of anything and the very idea of "following the crowd" is not only repulsive but also utterly repugnant.

^^

I second this. I've been a non-conformist all of my life. Documented first in preschool when I refused to participate in the group circle.

As a child, teen and adult, it's not that I've enjoyed being difficult in that way or thought it made me cool, it's like xatrix26 said above, "conforming" has felt disgusting to me also. It feels wrong. I don't mean it just feels unnatural or unpleasant, I mean on a fundamentally personal almost moral level, it's always felt wrong to me, as in bad.

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 4:34 pm

I think people on the spectrum are on one hand very much likely to be particularly conformist, stick to rules and consider everybody should. They will follow rules would it be seen or not.

On the other hand, if they juge the rule unfair, not logical or irrelevant, they will tend not to conform because justice and logic is more important for them than rules.

As to conformity in social rules field, it is often not logical nor relevant. They would follow the illogical social rules only if they see the logic of the necessity to conform in order to integrate social networks.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 5:48 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
I think people on the spectrum are on one hand very much likely to be particularly conformist, stick to rules and consider everybody should. They will follow rules would it be seen or not.

On the other hand, if they juge the rule unfair, not logical or irrelevant, they will tend not to conform because justice and logic is more important for them than rules.

That's totally right and you'll find this in many opinions in this forum.
But some people here also reject important social rules like shaking hands because they don't really get the meaning. That can become a problem. :roll:
But of course it's a kind of fun to break nonsense rules and test the limits and be different where NTs don't dare. :mrgreen:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 5:48 pm

I am proud to be a non-conformist. There are many Aspies that try their best to conform to social norms. Over time many fail and the pressure just becomes to great. And mental illness generally sets in because of the sheer stress.

But there are other Aspies that decide to stand on their own two feet and plot a course for their lives and let others conform to them. Once you stop worrying about what everyone else thinks, it sets you free. But to be able to make this transition, one must learn one trick - absolute fearlessness.

Here are a few quotes about nonconformist:

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. – Rob Siltanen: Apple, "Think Different" campaign

It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible nonconformist warmly acclaimed. - Albert Einstein

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road. - Voltaire

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A "normal" person is the sort of person that might be designed by a committee. You know, "Each person puts in a pretty color and it comes out gray." - Alan Sherman

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

The average man is a conformist, accepting miseries and disasters with the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain. - Colin Wilson

“Freedom began on the day the first sheep wandered away from the herd.” ― Marty Rubin

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 8:55 pm

I's part of being in your own world.

If you are in your own world, it may not even occur to you to conform to the unfamiliar world on the other side of the glass wall.
Or it may be impossibly hard to do.

It's called being weird, eccentric, autistic.
It's not a choice, it's just the way it is.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 3:43 pm

Non-conformity gives me great feeling of freedom against extreme nationality, and indoctrination of religions.
Me-myself-i loves it when they talking in a trio. Me myself and I loves it even when nobody in the world is agree with me, myself and i. Albert Einstein have make a quote about the mechanism.

Image below are My, Myself and I talking to each other.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 4:19 pm

My formative years were in the 70s and 80s (ie schooling). I was bullied and the system at the time did nothing to curb such behavior. Why on earth would I have had even a single desire to conform to my peers or the system at large that was not kind to me? To this day I can not think of one good reason why I should have wanted to be "part of the group".

I have held a consistent aversion to conformity throughout my life in part because of those experiences. I'm very put off by the "herd mentality". When a group of people band together to go in a certain direction my instinctual response is to go in the opposite direction so to speak.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 9:25 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I am proud to be a non-conformist. There are many Aspies that try their best to conform to social norms. Over time many fail and the pressure just becomes to great. And mental illness generally sets in because of the sheer stress.

But there are other Aspies that decide to stand on their own two feet and plot a course for their lives and let others conform to them. Once you stop worrying about what everyone else thinks, it sets you free. But to be able to make this transition, one must learn one trick - absolute fearlessness.

Here are a few quotes about nonconformist:

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. – Rob Siltanen: Apple, "Think Different" campaign

It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible nonconformist warmly acclaimed. - Albert Einstein

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road. - Voltaire

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A "normal" person is the sort of person that might be designed by a committee. You know, "Each person puts in a pretty color and it comes out gray." - Alan Sherman

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

The average man is a conformist, accepting miseries and disasters with the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain. - Colin Wilson

“Freedom began on the day the first sheep wandered away from the herd.” ― Marty Rubin

The first one is actually from a letter by Jack Kerouac. Used by Apple.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 2:09 pm

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

The first one is actually from a letter by Jack Kerouac. Used by Apple.

Funny there is no mention of this letter on Wikipedia!
Source: Think different

Last edited by jimmy m on 23 Jan 2019, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 3:47 pm

Magneto wrote:
Are Aspies less likely to conform than NTs? This could lead to 'impaired' social interaction, as they wouldn't conform to 'social rules', and would have different interests to the majority.

I would say yes but according to Tony Attwood, those who do learn to conform are likely to live successfully in their adulthood. I think that makes sense.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 4:04 pm

"Individuality is fine, as long as we all do it together." -- Major Franklin Delano Marion "Frank" Burns (a.k.a., "Ferret Face"), US Army, M*A*S*H 4077, as portrayed by actor Lawrence Lavon Linville (1939-2000)

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 10:09 am

The mayority of humans in de world use religion as the base for what year it is, in western world mostly 2019 right now.
Because im praktising in evolution and not in religion i use The Charles Darwin Era, for me its now 210~After~Darwin. I dont mind if people not conforming me. How smaller the group im in how better i feel myself.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 6:32 am

August Landmesser

I have see the picture below in the past. At that time i did think that the photo was taken just a second before the arm from Landmesser get higher to greet the Führer. Later i did noticed that it was not. A way of nonconformity with a high risk.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 7:15 am

that was a brave man of peerless integrity, of impeccable morals. they let him have it, from what I heard. his life was shortened.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 2:19 pm

i agree Auntblabby.
Very brave and many courage. I was'nt born in that time, my mother was even't born.

What do you think you have done Auntblabby when you was August Landmesser in that specific time-place-moment :?:

I know its a difficult question to answer.