Page 4 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 4:09 pm

Debbiegirl,

I'm almost 55 myself and also a late bloomer. I had a good home life, but was bullied in school by the troublemakers of the school. I had some friends, but mostly spent time reading and studying. I regret I didn't begin doing things earlier that would help me socially and otherwise.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2019, 6:33 pm

I never did fit into the group mentality. I don't think I could maintain it if I tried.

Failing to conform is probably a major part of why I got picked on at school. On the positive side, it's also led to self development. So many people from my place of birth never once seem to question the values, traditions, and local culture of their immediate environment, and it stunts them greatly to be this way.

Thinking for yourself is hard and takes a lot of work, and that's not necessarily a bad thing :)

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 2:21 am

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 7:57 am

I dont like football, i cant play football, and i even didnt even see one single game from the world champion ship.
The team from the USA did win that championship, and the team captain Megan Rapinoe is somebody i like very much. What a courage have this woman to dont conform the rules from 'blindness' Her statements against racism-apartheid-discrimination-gayphobia. When i see her way of being, my mind did go to August Landmesser. Somebody with also many courage, and dont conformity against the group of blindness. Megan Rapinoe and August Landmesser are not 100% clones, but i see a strong similarity.

on page 4 in this topic more about August Landmesser.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 8:59 am

i just couldn't get past their subpar sportsmanship on the field.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 5:39 am

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 12:09 pm

Magneto wrote:
Okay, let's define it as 'conforming to the will of the majority'. There, that makes it easier. Until you go somewhere where your minority are in the majority...

NTs can decide to not conform, if they don't want to, but that's a conscious deciscion. Aspies are the opposite, they have to consciously decide to conform.

That must be the "watching" feeling I have. So if "conforming" by default means to the majority and hence ASD doesn't "conform" with majority NT... if we switch that around... When I am with my Aspie support group I can feel myself "conforming" --- unmasking, letting my motions and emotions be what they are, less confined. Am I more "myself" or am I simply to conforming to that standard? What happens when an NT walks into the room, do they start "conforming" (e.g. more honest and sharing TMI :wink: ) or are they then the one who is not conforming?

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 1:59 pm

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 5:55 am

I am not the person in the picture, but the face right-under is very similar to the face when i trying to conform what is average-normal-standard. I only try it, i am not real when i try to be average.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 12:57 am

I have been careful not to wear blue jeans like all the non-conformists. Apart from that, I didn't see any reason to base my life on "normal" expectations, since my generation had had the A-bomb dropped in our laps, and we had to learn how not to use it. I was content to feel sensible, experimenting with life.
I was a teenage business owner.
I have had very little contact with my family.
I am a Canadian who has never watched a whole hockey game.
I am a vegan in ranch country.
I am childless.
I drive a subcompact car with one seat, a bed, a full kitchen, and many other amenities. I could wait out a storm for a week and emerge ready for a job interview.
I dropped out of high school, went to the library, and lectured to graduating engineers.
I earned a world championship instead of a PhD - there were no jobs anyway.
I retired to an area with 6 month long winters, and some real bargains in housing.
I bought an iMac, and have boycotted the company since before the warranty ran out.
I have not had any kind of telephone for years.
My best friend also was inspired to live experimentally by the song "Little Boxes" by Pete Seeger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sQSp5jbSQ

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 1:39 am

what dimensional magic do you employ to fit all that into a subcompact car? :scratch:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 2:09 am

auntblabby wrote:
what dimensional magic do you employ to fit all that into a subcompact car? :scratch:

The key was to ignore all the road-warrior setup people start to build in the passenger seat. For camping, it is a total mode change, with the driver's seat all the way forward and folded. The bed starts at the passenger's footwell, and I sit sideways on it with my feet behind the driver's seat in camp. There's a nice custom cabinet with a slide-out sink, 'fridge, and lots of drawers, and the camp stove hooks onto that for use or storage. I have a laptop counter for cutting veggies, etc. and the cabinet top for wrangling supplies on. There's an emergency poo-baggie rig under the seat, and a foot pump for taking a sponge bath with shampoo, sitting on a plastic sheet. There's curtains, a drying net, electricity, etc. as well. The next version will have insulation and heating. I'm trying to finish the narration for a video about it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 4:43 am

i suspect with my body dimensions, i'd need a full-size. :oops: if a car has a sun/moonroof on it, i cannot fit in it. [they take away too much headroom].

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 7:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
i suspect with my body dimensions, i'd need a full-size. :oops: if a car has a sun/moonroof on it, i cannot fit in it. [they take away too much headroom].

I'm 6'1'' X 170 lbs. and have also felt some interfererence with a sunroof. It only feels cramped when I move, as in changing clothes, but that counts as a stretching exercise. There is a considerable variation in headroom in cars. There are even height-adjustable seats that the owners have left on the wrong setting for years, not knowing they had options.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 7:18 am

Dear_one wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'm 6'1'' X 170 lbs. and have also felt some interference with a sunroof. It only feels cramped when I move, as in changing clothes, but that counts as a stretching exercise. There is a considerable variation in headroom in cars. There are even height-adjustable seats that the owners have left on the wrong setting for years, not knowing they had options.

due to my continuing orthopedic issues, regarding height-adjustable seats, i must elevate all the way so i am not sitting on the small of my back, so that my thighs carry most of the weight. cars with sunroofs mandate that to have any chance of sitting behind the wheel without the seat reclined most of the way back, that the seat bottom be all the way down so that i'm sitting on the point of my tuchas and my knees are up hitting the steering wheel. there was only one car that didn't make me do this, it was a buick encore, it had enough headroom [even with the sunroof that all the dealers consider a default option, good luck finding one without] to wear a hat inside even with the seat all the way up. that is an amazingly roomy car even for me. too bad they cost as much as houses useta cost. even used they cost nearly as much as new.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 7:24 am

I conform in some things but not in others.
I have an iPhone, I go on Facebook a lot, I love gossip, I wear trendy clothes, I buy women's magazines, I enjoy shopping, I attend social events, I listen to the latest pop music, I am interested in politics, and I have a job and a boyfriend.

But I don't often wear makeup, I don't dye my hair, I don't have piercings or tattoos, I don't go to nightclubs, I don't drink, I don't work full-time, I don't watch much TV, and I don't drive.

I haven't consciously forced myself to conform though. It just feels natural to me. But I'd have to consciously force myself to do the things I don't conform to.