Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 8:16 pm

I would like to know what these Linux Programs are for.

Gazpacho and Glade Interface Designer
F-Spot Photo Manager
XSane Image Scanning Program
Password and Encryption Keys

Floyd
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2009, 8:44 pm

Gazpacho and Glade Interface Designer are programs to create user interfaces for the X-Window system. The user interface is the part of a computer program that users interact with, but does not compute anything. The user interface won`t "do" anything until you write the computational part of the program in a programming language and attach the user interface to it. You can also modify the user interface of an existing program that uses GTK+ (X-Window system).

Password and Encryption Keys is a manager program that gives you the advantage of not having to be online at the same time as the person you are communicating with and still being able to exchange keys in order to encrypt and decrypt messages trough a web of trust. (if I remember correctly)

Don`t know about F-Sport or XSane.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 9:52 pm

Floyd wrote:
Gazpacho and Glade Interface Designer are programs to create user interfaces for the X-Window system. The user interface is the part of a computer program that users interact with, but does not compute anything. The user interface won`t "do" anything until you write the computational part of the program in a programming language and attach the user interface to it. You can also modify the user interface of an existing program that uses GTK+ (X-Window system).

Password and Encryption Keys is a manager program that gives you the advantage of not having to be online at the same time as the person you are communicating with and still being able to exchange keys in order to encrypt and decrypt messages trough a web of trust. (if I remember correctly)

Don`t know about F-Sport or XSane.

F-spot does mainly simple stuff, rotating pictures, sorting them, that kind of stuff. Xsane is an x windows scanner manager, if you have a sane compatible scanner, it will load here and allow you to scan in things like pics.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 12:19 am

Linux uses CUPS. The Common Unix Printer System. It was designed by Apple computers, so chances are, if a printer is OSX friendly, it should plug and play in linux. You wont need (or have) all those dumb extra programs. XSane will patch nicely into that.