Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 10:32 am

i couldnt find a suitable place to post this so i post it here.

a little background info: i started going back to school this year after spending one year at home in my room these classes are 1on1 lessons.
in the begining i didnt like socializing with people i tried my best to not respond emotionally and i worked hard at keeping a blank serious face, so after a while i started enjoying the lessons very much and now im not afraid to smile back at people anymore. my english teacher is mostly to thank for that her smiles are really intense and she is really nice its now impossible for me not to get affected by these if i wanted or tried to.
the thing is next week will be the last week she will be teaching me and im starting to have this bad feeling because i wont see her anymore and i like her company so much, i do have some friends left but they cant fill this spot.
i will get new teachers with whom i will get along fine thats for sure, but never someone like my english teacher.

i am planning on telling her next week that i really like her (as a friend) and thank her for how she destroyed a bit of that wall around me.
i have never told anyone in my life that i liked them (maybe i did but i cant remember) so you can say this would be a breakthrough.

i will go through with thanking her but is there any chance we could actually have contact outside classes ?, i really dont want to lose contact with such a nice person. do you think i should ask if she would like to have me as a friend outside school? or just thank her and move on.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 10:53 am

Maybe you should deliver the thank you in the form of a letter. That way you can be sure you get to say what you mean. Important conversations don't always go as planned. It's easy to have trouble finding the correct words in person or after someone responds to something differently than you expected.

As far as possibly becoming friends. Maybe say something like "do you think we may be able to stay in touch?".

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2009, 11:07 am

Your decision to thank her, explain what she has meant to you, and tell her that you really like her is absolutely the right one (whether in person or by letter). It is possible, although unlikely, that she will then suggest that you continue to have contact outside of school. Asking her if she would like to be your friend outside of school could be awkward for her if other obligations make this unfeasible. Email exchanges are much less intrusive, and you could probably suggest that although it is not the same as face-to-face contact.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 1:25 pm

i didnt think about this much yet but i wasnt planning on just directly saying lets be friends need something a bit more subtle.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 2:13 pm

I think a teacher's greatest reward is knowing that he or she reached a student who needed the kind of skills and intuition she tried to impart. Even a simple thank you about what she did will probably mean the world to her.

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2009, 5:48 pm

If you want to have her as a friends, its completely fine to ask her. I stay in contact with a few of my old teachers and its not awkward for us.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 8:14 am

it was a succes my anxiety wasnt bad, she told me we could definatly stay in contact and she was going to talk about it with another person what they would need to talk about i dont know. i dont know exactly what it meant im just going to assume thats by email only which is still ok but not really what i was hoping for. i probably wasn't very clear in the way i brought it.